1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Proper Sunday Dress

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 28, 2012.

?
  1. Pastor should normally wear a coat and Tie

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Ok if Pastor wears just wears dress pants and no tie

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. OK if pastor wears overhalls

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Leaders should wear coat and tie

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Okay if leaders wear casual dress

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  6. Pastors wife should wear dress or skirt

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. Okay if pastors wife wears pants

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  8. Okay if pastors wife wears overhalls

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. non leader members should wear coat and tie

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. A person commands more respect by the way they dress

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ba-da-bing!!:thumbsup:

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

No one is above temptation, Godly man or not. No one is above sin, Godly man or not. I guess a lot of deacons and pastors wives have ask the same question as you ask when their husband left town with another woman of the church.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I believe churches are focused on the outward appearance because they don't have the depth to address matters of the heart. Topical sermons, hellfire & brimstone preaching, and emotional worship services do nothing to grow the spiritual or Biblical maturity of believers. Pharisaism is alive & well in the U.S.; thriving in churches all across the nation.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I've heard of a lot of pastors whose wives never wore pants who left their wives for another woman who never wore pants. So that's not where the problem lies.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If they did leave their wives, it didn't have to do with pants or how a woman dressed. My husband has gone to the beach with me. We've seen women in bikinis. He averts his eyes. When the Victoria's Secret commercials come on TV, he averts his eyes. He just rolls them when he sees a woman dressed provacatively on the street.

If a deacon or pastor leaves his wife to be with another woman, it's because of his sinful heart. Not a pair of pants.

6. salzer mtn

Ok, we have a snow ball headed down hill now so let's go a little further. This one lady see's all the other ladies wearing pants so she decides to wear shorts, after all the pastor has learn't to avert his eyes, no harm will come of it. God knows i just want to be comfortable as i can be and enjoy fellowship with everyone. My question is where does it all end ?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It ends at common sense. :) It really works!

8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The true snow ball is the massive one legalists cast their man-made rules upon. Once you start down the slippery slope of legalism, where does it all end?

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

quoted again because it should be read again.

The reality is people have a subjective view of clothes and beauty. What I find attractive in a woman will not be the case for all men. I admit I like my bride in a dress or skirt. What my bride finds attractive in men will not be the same for all women. She happens to like me with scruffy facial hair.

Yes, it is a sin problem. No dress code will counter that. Such things have the appearance of wisdom but are no value in countering sin. I believe the principal in the following passage applies to the issue at hand as well.

Col 2:18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind,
    Col 2:19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
    Col 2:20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,
    Col 2:21 "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!"
    Col 2:22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
    Col 2:23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence. (NASB)

10. salzer mtn

I guess in your oppinion the scripture that i put up is all legalism. I guess you would rip out all scripture from the bible that has to do with how a christian should act, how a christian should dress. Are you people Antinomians ?

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show me in the Scriptures where women are to wear skirts/dresses and that pants are of the devil. :)

12. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You haven't been around here long and you are already jumping to such an emotionally charged post? Bold.

No one is ignoring Scripture. We are seeking to understand and apply the whole counsel of God's word after careful study of all the applicable passages.

There simply is no verse that demands women wear dresses and not pants. The issue is dressing as the opposite sex. At the time it was written all people wore robes. Some are designed for me. Some are designed for women. Just as today men and women wear pants. Some are made for women and some are made for men.

There is a demand for modesty. That can be an issue if a woman wears pants or a dress.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

SHOOT!! I JUST bought men's snow pants for my daughter!! It was $100 for the women's ones or $23 for the men's - and the men's had a more generous cut so they would fit her better and not be so tight. Was that a sin???

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

YES! Stay where you are the snow pant police will be there to punish you and banish you from the next 3 potlucks.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hanging my head in shame and packing away the crockpot....

16. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I have to admit that a lot of ski gear is not clear to me as to whether they are for men or women. So, you may be safe. We might need salzer to inform us on how to proceed.

17. salzer mtn

Trust me i've probably been around in years longer than you have. I realize what people wore in biblical day's and no one wore pants, male or female. The standard of dress today is for one thing promoted by Hollywood fashion designers. It's geared for sexuality. There are scripture that lays out dress codes, 1 Tim 2:9 For a person to deny certain dress codes is to deny scripture. Dress codes were applied to what they had to contend with in their day as we have to apply some codes to what we as christians have to contend with in our day. Every Christian still lives in a body of corrupt flesh that they have to contend with all the days of this life. The flesh is subject to lust, and all sorts of worldly things. A person never knows what vise a christian has walked away from or is his weekness when he came to Christ. No man or no woman knows everything about someone else, i don't care if it is your spouse.

18. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

You are proving my assertion that those who judge according to the appearance are spiritually immature; substituting rules of their own making for depth. Legalists are masters at eisegesis; finding detailed instructions on proper attire for congregating, when to congregate, what songs to sing, which Bible to use, what religious name to put on their churches, & a myriad other rules & traditions that cannot be found within the printed text of Scripture.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go back and look at your Strong's again. That verse says that women are to adorn themselves. The word adorn carries the meaning of ornamenting, embellishing. The verse goes on to clarify with "not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls...."

If I take this verse at its strictest sense, then I would have to say it means don't wear earrings, or necklaces, or braid your hair. It doesn't say "wear only a dress."

If I take the principle of the verse, however, it says don't be provocative; if you'll pardon the somewhat vulgar vernacular, it says "don't paint yourself up like a brazen hussie." Wearing pants isn't necessarily provocative. Shucks, there are some dresses that are WAY more provocative than pants.

Now, let's take that verse in context: The verse preceeding (v.8) is talking about how men should pray; then the author talks about "In like manner" and suddenly describes women ornamenting themselves; BUT then goes on in the next verse (v.10) to say "BUT (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

So we have a description of how men should pray (hands lifted without wrath and doubting); and we have a commandment that women should be in like manner, not relying on ornamentation, but that they should adorn themselves with good works.

So the context isn't about dressing at all, but about how we should behave.

Tell you what: I'm not gonna get too upset about what people wear, especially new Christians. Think I'm gonna let God work the change from the inside out.

20. salzer mtn

A good tree bringeth forth good fruit, a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit, by their fruit's ye shall know them. By the way that scripture is wrote in red.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.