1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

protestants in denial

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Jan 29, 2005.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

2. Stephen Mills

Stephen Mills New Member

Hmmm...for some reason I'm doubting you're a baptist like your profile says.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday too.

4. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have to agree with that. Many of the celebrations by the Christian church are "traditions of men".

On the other Christian board, we are discussing the issue regarding the day of the crucifixion as well. I don't believe that was on a Friday, either.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

You may be quite surprised at the number of Baptists from all different denominations that feel that the crucifiction was on either a Wednesday or a Thursday!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That ABCOG site keeps its Pentecost "always on a Sunday". If sabbatarianism is true, then that is "just as deceived as the Sunday and holiday keeping Churches and Assemblies" as one put it. That was based on the Sadducean method of interpreting "the sabbath" the Day of firstfruits was to occur after as the next weekly Sabbath after the Passover. Therefore, Firstfruits, and Pentecost 7 weeks later would always be on Sunday. It is from the Wave Sheaf offering on the day of Firstfruits (as it is fulfilled by Christ) that we get the expression "this is the Day the Lord has made", which is applied to what else, but Sunday! Plus, Sunday would be the day the Church first received the Spirit on that Pentecost. So as much as these groups condemn it, they unwitingly validate Sunday!
    But the Pharisees interpreted "sabbath" as the first day of unleavened bread. This would be on different days of the week. Further proof was that unleavened bread was to be eaten all 7 days, but only AFTER the "sabbath" in question. Jesus had said that "the Scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. Therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do...".

Amazing how these groups make such an issue of things like this, and it turns out they are doing something wrong as well, and can be lumped in with those horrible Sunday and holiday keeping churches!

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wopik,
    You and some friends of yours have found a clever way to dodge any real challenge to your positions by every time creating a new 'topic'.
    Let's forget the insect-ology and keep to God's 'Logos'.
    What is more pathetic, a Protestant who has forgotten how to protest, or a Christian who has forgotten how to be free? Not much of a difference, is there?
    The Christian PRINCIPLE is basic and correct, of believing and keeping the Day of Christian Worship because of Jesus Christ, and because of Him in the exceeding greatness of God's Power when He raised Him from the dead. It was God's great act of rest, His finishing work of all the works of God and of all things created through and in Jesus Christ.
    Only flaw is these Protestants neglect protest against the antichrist's falsifying of the Scriptures to make it say Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday - which He did not because He rose on the Sabbath Day - as the very nature and essence of the Sabbath promised.
    Christians who follow after the Jews and believe and keep Sabbath (Seventh Day) because of the Law fullstop, are just as slavishly practicing a Christianity that is neither Christian, nor Faith, because it is not in the first place and fully, Resurrection-Faith.
    Then all these technicalities so paraded on this thread simply reveal gross ignorance, like the theory Jesus was crucified on Wednesday. If true, He would have to be in the state of death for five days if resurrected on the First Day of the week.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ABCOG bases its entire dogma on one single premise - what the 'Sadducees' have said - for which they have NO ONE SINGLE word from those 'Sadducees' themselves to rely on, but ONLY what the 'Pharisees' they so condemn have said about them. Ironic! I would not base my faith on irony.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How christianly incognito? Noname, noday, seems nofaith.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct, it wasn't on friday. But answer me this one, which your referred website cannot, Howcome the body of our Lord was laid in the tomb on the day He was crucified and died, "Now evening had come" and the body still hanging on the cross?
    How illuminating the RCC-inspired and coersed 'Versions' changed those two texts (Mt.27:57 and Mk.15:42) to suit their theory - a theory contradicted by their own superstitious practice!)

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And if you were alone in your belief, would you still believe?

14. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard:

I'm not sure what you are asking. Jesus died on the cross Nissan 14. He was taken down and prepared for burial and entombed when Nissan 15 started at sundown--- so the three day countdown commences at Nissan 15 to fulfill the feast of Unleavened Bread.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard:

I'm not sure what you are asking. Jesus died on the cross Nissan 14. He was taken down and prepared for burial and entombed when Nissan 15 started at sundown--- so the three day countdown commences at Nissan 15 to fulfill the feast of Unleavened Bread.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You deem being entombed the literal equivalent of the figurative experience of Jesus' being "in the heart of the earth". The correct understanding of this 'status' of being in the heart of the earth, is - or was - Jesus' status of having tasted death. That started beginning fourteen Nisan, "My hour has come", and ended 16 Nisan, "Then suddenly", John 13 and Mt.28. Not while being entombed.
    The Passover was slaughtered 14 Nisan, and its remains burned the following day in the wilderness. Next day - Nisan 16, saw israel standing on the other side of the Red Sea - resurrection of Jesus its antitype.
    Visit www.biblestudents.co.za

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The three-day countdown did not begin once the body had been entombed - it began when Jesus actually began to experience death's agony.
    Also, Jesus was only interred on 15 Nisan late day while being daylight still - Luke 23:54-56. It was deep into night when Joseph only had his body taken from the cross. Thereafter he prepared the body "according to the custom" which took much time.
    Israel travelled most of day into the wilderness and first stopped at Succot where they burned the remains of the lamb.

17. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

And if you were alone in your belief, would you still believe? </font>[/QUOTE]No worries Gerhard! I suspect sometime that I do have some beliefs that I am alone in! [​IMG]

18. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, Gerhard, it's like anything one studies. When we want to find something out, we go back to the 'textbook'. Let's see what Jesus said in Matthew 12:40...

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The whale's belly was symbolic of the grave as Jesus pointed out. Jonah was in that belly for 3 days and 3 nights. The time involving the 3 days did not include any event that transpired before Jonah was swallowed.

19. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I'm still trying to figure out the big deal here. What matters?

1 Cor. 15:4- he was buried and rose again the third day according to the scriptures.

Are you trying to prove something?

20. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor Jeff:

I tend to agree with you actually. My stance is that Christ fulfilled what was foreshadowed in the feast days just as other areas of OT prophecy speak of Christ--- that's all. These days were Passover (late 14th)--- His death, Unleavened Bread (starting at sundown on the 15th)--- his burial, and Firstfruits---his resurrection starting at sundown Saturday. In this case, three days later, or on the 18th of Nissan. Pretty simple, straightforward prophetic timeline mapping out the events perfectly timed. No sense in deviating from this simple mathematical concept of counting to the number "three".

I think the issue with some folks about Christ arising on late Saturday afternoon is that they seem to think the resurrection needs to fall on that day to make the Sabbath valid for some reason. The Sabbath can stand on its own no matter what day the resurrection occurred. Indeed, in the Bible, the first day of the week is also the eighth day, the number eight is associated with new beginnings and new life.

In the age to some, a new heavens and new earth is created after the sabbath millennium.