1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions about the Sabbath of the LORD thy God, this subject is interesting don't you think so?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alofa Atu, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was not citing Exodus 20:6. John 14:15 had nothing to do with the OT commandments. Jesus was telling the disciples to keep the commandments they had received from Him

Just answer the question. I am I going to Hell if I don't keep the Sabbath day?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Luke 5

39“And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, ‘The old is good enough.’”

You can run in circles all day my friend. Answer this:

Do you prefer FRESH grape juice or OLD grape juice?

Luke 10

33“But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, 34and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.

Good luck pouring grape juice on a wound. Alcohol is the common disinfectant.

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good luck getting a yes or no answer out of him. As observed on other threads, if presented with questions or evidence he doesn't like, he will refuse to answer directly or ignore the evidence against him. I stopped interacting with him for this reason alone. He isn't here to discuss, he is here to accuse. I found it notable when suspicions arose that he was here before and was banned, he never denied it but said he had access to the same sources. Clever side-step. I have become convinced he is in fact the same person as he behaves exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My seventh question:

Genesis 2:1-3 states that God 'rested' on the 'seventh day' at Creation, where in scripture is this fact ever altered, denied, negated, abridged, transposed, abrogated, nullified, morphed, substituted?

In essence, the question is asking about the state of a past event locked into history (like a block chain event so to speak), as any memorial event would be, such as the conquering of the land of Canaan, or the landing at Plymouth Rock, the declaration of Independence, a birthday of a child, the death of a family member, and so on. Additionally we are speaking about that which God did (past tense), and this makes it all the more memorable, right? It is God's rest, from God's work of Creation. How would that ever not be a memorial of what God did?

5. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what is God rested on the 7th day. That passage does not command the Church to keep the Sabbath day.

You have still have no answered my question about whether or not I am going to hell if I am not keeping the Sabbath, do you not have the courage to answer yes or no?

• Like Like x 2
  6. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It only means ceased to create ,It does not mean relax

1. to cease, desist, rest
      1. (Qal)
        1. to cease
        2. to rest, desist (from labour)
      2. (Niphal) to cease
      3. (Hiphil)
        1. to cause to cease, put an end to
        2. to exterminate, destroy
        3. to cause to desist from
        4. to remove
        5. to cause to fail
    2. (Qal) to keep or observe the sabbath

Gen 2:2

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

It is where we get the word Sabbath,

It is not a Commandment to you, you are not Hebrew between Moses and Jesus
    The purpose of the Law was not to save you bit Israel as a nation for the Messiah

It is a mistake to get your doctrine from translations

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mar 7:9
    And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

How fitting to this thread. Saying to embrace Grace yet hold the Law of another people as their own

8. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who ever said it means to 'relax'? Not I, never stated, nor implied. I never even implied God was tired.

God stopped 'speaking creation' after it was 'finished (Gen 2:1). Look at all of the times Genesis stated "And God said ...", "And God made ..."

9. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mark 2:27.

The sabbath was "made" for "the man" (original language koine Greek). The only place in which the sabbath was "made" is Genesis 2:1-3. The only "the man" that existed was Adam and everyone in him. Thus to keep God's commandments is the "whole" duty of Adam (original language Hebrew), Ecc. 12:13-14.

The Bible says that all things were not only made by Jesus, but "for" Jesus (Colossians 1:16).

The Bible says that Jesus is the second man, last Adam, and thus the sabbath was really made for Him, and all in Him.

Read Isaiah 56:1,8; John 10:16, then go back to Isaiah 56:2-7, and read the context and see the fulfillment in the new testament even in Acts (all, such as Acts 4:24, 14:15-16, etc, etc) and John 21:15-18.

Misrepresentation. Never said the Law saved anyone. Not its function.

Oh, an 'original language' person? Care to take a test for me? I have some some photos of mss (random, unnamed) in various languages. I will give you a test, 10 minutes to translate each one. Deal?

#49 Alofa Atu, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Law of God begins with Grace and contains Grace:

Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

What is that?

It's (wait for it ...) G-r-a-c-e.

Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

What is that?

It's (wait for it ...) G-r-a-c-e.

In fact look at Exodus 33:12-23, 34:1-9, 20:5-7. The Law of God is His character transcribed. Notice it is His name written out:

Exo 33:12 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.
    Exo 33:13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.
    Exo 33:14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
    Exo 33:15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence.
    Exo 33:16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
    Exo 33:17 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.
    Exo 33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
    Exo 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
    Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
    Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
    Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
    Exo 33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Exo 34:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.
    Exo 34:2 And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.
    Exo 34:3 And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.
    Exo 34:4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.
    Exo 34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
    Exo 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
    Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
    Exo 34:8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.
    Exo 34:9 And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O Lord, let my Lord, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

11. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "... The Sabbath-keeping Churches in Persia underwent forty years of persecution under Shapur II, from 335- 375 specifically, because they were Sabbath-keeping.

They despise our sun-god. Did not Zoroaster, the sainted founder of our divine beliefs, institute Sunday one thousand years ago in honour of the sun and supplant the Sabbath of the Old Testament. Yet these Christians have divine services on Saturday (O'Leary The Syriac Church and Fathers , pp. 83-84, requoted Truth Triumphant p. 170).​

The Sabbath was observed into the fifth century by Christianity (Lyman Coleman Ancient Christianity Exemplified , Ch. 26, Sec. 2, p. 527). Certainly, as at the time of Jerome (420), the devoutest Christians did ordinary work on Sunday (Dr. White, bishop of Ely, Treatise of the Sabbath Day , p. 219).

Augustine of Hippo, a devout Sunday keeper, attested that the Sabbath was observed in the greater part of the Christian world ( Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (NPNF) , First Series, Vol. 1, pp. 353-354) and deplored the fact that in two neighbouring Churches in Africa, one observed the seventh day Sabbath, while another fasted on it (Peter Heylyn, op. cit., p. 416)...." - Link

12. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did by continuing the tradition of the Jewish sabbath and no work because of a Law that does not apply to you.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    you post unrelated verses so you obviously do not understand, you have no idea who you are, your circumstances, or why you need Salvation

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mat_1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom_7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

15. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Can you show me one text in the scripture which says, "Jewish sabbath" (as Roman Catholics use the term). I'll wait.

16. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    silly, no. It does not say Gentile Sabbath either, Every Holy Day is shabbath sometimes the whole week The Hebrew Law gives the Holy Days

Mar 2:27

And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Jhn 5:16

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day

What is your position on the Sabbath again?

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course not, as it is not either one, Jewish, or Gentilish, since it was in existence before either Jew or Gentile existed, for before them both, only Man (Adam) existed (one man), from Genesis 1, and so again, in Christ there is only one new man (the second Adam, the last Man), for in the beginning it was God that rested and thus it is always, "the sabbath of the Lord thy God", not of the Jews, not of the Gentiles, but "of the Lord". What does the text plainly say?

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
    Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

So, thank you for admitting your error, in saying there is no "Jewish sabbath" in the Bibles text, when there never was any such thing, and so I hope you will now be honest and stop using the phrase, but please do not attempt to obfuscate by saying 'Gentile Sabbath" as there is no such thing either, for the seventh day the sabbath, is always, the sabbath of the Lord, even the Lord Jesus Christ, the finished Man.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  18. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your position is that the weekly Sabbath is for all men?

What is the verse reinforcing this?

What non Hebrew was told about the Sabbath ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mark 2:27-28. Hebrews 4, Revelation 14:6-12, Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11.

You can also look at Isaiah 66:22-23 besides the ones already listed.

Consider the queen of Sheba and Solomon, then fast forward to the NT with the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8. You can look at Exodus 16-20 and see that a 'mixed multitude' came out of Egypt with the children of Israel. All of them were at Mt. Sinai - together. The Ten Commandments are for all mankind, Ecc. 12:13-14, see also what Paul said about the Law of God. You can consider in the 4th commandment itself, it directly references the 'stranger'. You can see in the OT, in Isaiah 56:1-8, being fulfilled in the NT, Acts and so on. You can read in Isaiah 66:22-23 that 'all flesh' of mankind will worship together on the seventh day the sabbath of the Lord in the New Heavens and New Earth. You can read in the book of Deuteronomy chapter 4, that those who received what was given, were to take it and show the other nations that were still on probation that they might live according to God's ways. You can trace the sabbath from Genesis 2 all the way through to Abraham and again through to Moses. You can read in the NT in the book of Acts of the Gentile believers keeping sabbath before even Paul showed up and after Paul left. You can read in Acts 14:15-16, when Paul speaking to the Gentiles, quoting directly from the 4th commandment Exodus 20:11 in asking them to repent. It is everywhere.

#59 Alofa Atu, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  20. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My Eighth question:

In three places in scripture, it specifically says, "ten commandments" (Exo. 34:28; Deut. 4:13, 10:4 (good buddy)), does the scripture in any place, from Gen. to Rev., ever specifically say 'nine commandments'?

My Ninth question:

Is sin known by the Law (Rom. 3:20, 7:7; Exo. 24:12), the Ten Commandments, to this day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.