1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions about watching TV

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Corbett, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. How should a Christian decide what to watch?

2. Should Christians watch R rated moves or MA rated TV?

3. Aside from the ratings, what negative material should we watch out for?

4. Is TV ever positive and helpful?

5. Do you think that Hollywood (the entertainment) industry is similar to the description of Babylon in Revelation in some ways? If so, how?

I share some of my thoughts on these difficult questions in this 23-minute video:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I often watch the old 50's and 60's tv programs - (over and over) Father know best, Beaver, Green acres, Andy Griffin, ect - Father knows and Beav are excellent programs - there are situations where dad comes and and explains the situations, often moral issues. Also both of those programs mentioned Sunday School from time to time. Also several of the 60's shows were meant to forget the problems of the day (Vietnam, Civil rights ect) for example - Gomer Pyle, USMC only mentioned combat once or twice - and that was about Korea - so you can just sit back and watch some clean entertaiment.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find that my mind is quickly diverted from all things spiritual/godly when caught up in TV shows that are on today. I love my wife & not those parading and prancing to cause me to lust. I love my country & not shows focusing on the steamy underbelly of society or elevating others. I love the police & almost hate to watch the news and anarchy today. I love life and family & not mayhem and random murder. And I love real stories with meaning and value & not sci-fi or fantasy. When I make choices of TV, those pre-set decisions filter out a lot of "junk".

When my children were young, we had a TV on a cart in a closet with a new-fangled box called a VCR. We could record shows and play good films (think "Old Yeller" or "Swiss Family Robinson". It was a special time when we would sit together and watch a video tape.

Admission: I did set it to record the Packer game on Sunday; cheese-heads are part of worship attire on Sundays in Wisconsin.

I took advantage of warm weather and ran my car for the check-up and oil change today. In the waiting room (with no remote to change available) I was glad that the Andy Griffith Show was playing. Good humor, slapstick, and moral values (I "got" to see almost 3 episodes).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    adden-dumb: Other than Fox for 30 minutes in the morning, we watch no LIVE TV. We record shows or movies to watch at our convenience, with no commercials, and can "delete" if the material violates our family standards.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends. I watched the Passion (Mel Gibson movie) and can see how it would be a witness to some of Christ's life (His humanity and divinity) as well as His sacrifice for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also watched The Passion of Christ and agree that is is one of the rare cases in which an R rated movie is good to watch (but I understand those who do not want to see that graphic of a portrayal).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Criteria #1

does it blatantly dishonor, Christ, God the Gospel

• Like Like x 3
  8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sentiments exactly!!! My favs for recording are "Dr Pol, Critter Fixers, The Five, Modern Marvels, & Lawrence Welk"
    Lots of "Hallmark Movies" for wife.
    So nice to avoid at least 95% of the commercials, AND keep the screen "clean"!:Smile

• Like Like x 2
  9. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of our faves there - the veterinary programs, zoo programs, most of the Alaska programs (favorite was Last Alaskans, sorry to see that one end but understand why). Some of the "real estate" programs are good, with Maine Cabin Masters at the very top. Like the new All Creatures Great and Small, almost as much as the earlier version. Wife likes Hallmark and Call the Midwife.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would assume that subtly dishonoring Christ is also something to consider and be on guard against.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are Biblical standers to weigh regarding TV watching. [Actually everythng we do.]

Here are a few Scriptures to consider:

Isaiah 1:17, ". . . Learn to do well; . . ."

Isaiah 33:15, ". . . He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; He that despiseth the gain of oppressions, That shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, That stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, And shutteth his eyes from looking upon evil; . . ."

1 Corinthians 6:12, ". . . All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. . . ."

1 Corinthians 10:13, ". . . There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. . . ."

1 Corinthians 10:31, ". . . Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. . . ."

Philippians 4:8, ". . . Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. . . ."

Colossians 3:1-2, ". . . If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. . . ."

1 John 2:15, ". . . Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. . . ."

Ephesians 4:30, ". . . And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. . . ."

Romans 14:21-22, ". . . It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. . . ."

James 4:17, ". . . Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. . . ."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a history buff... I especially like ancient history and record it and watch it when I can... My wife loves romance, so Hallmark appears every now and then... Like also the PBS nature programs and some that Onlyasinner commented on... I guess the TV is no different than the internet... Have to balance what you see on both... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great video, Brother @Mark Corbett. I am so glad I invested 23 minutes into watching it, and thankful for the time you invested in putting it together. It really caused me to do some soul searching about what I watch, and why I watch the TV and movies that I do. I agree with 100% of what you said. Truly, Hollywood is a "type" of Babylon.

How should a Christian decide what to watch? - What values does the show promote? I enjoy a lot of older TV and movies, especially because they often promote Christian values. A few of today's shows also promote good values, such as "Blue Bloods". That's a good police drama where family is a key theme.

Should Christians watch shows rated "R", "MA", etc.? - Depends on why it's rated that way. Certainly shows with sex and nudity are to be avoided. On the other hand, "Saving Private Ryan" depicted realistic war scenes. The language used in the show is also a big factor. I don't cuss, and I don't want to hear it. If a movie has "G-D", "Jesus F**** Christ", etc., I won't watch it - even if it adds realism. We can "get the picture" without listening to all that filth.

What other negative content should we avoid? - You made a good point in the video regarding how characters - even the heroes - promote alcohol. "Blue Bloods" is guilty of that. Does the story encourage disobedience to authority? Do the heroes of the story have loose moral convictions?

Is TV ever positive or helpful? - Definitely yes. Lots of good programming on UP, Hallmark, and a few other channels. Documentaries are often pretty good - e.g., I just enjoyed "Abraham Lincoln" on the History Channel. If you look, you can find good programs. If you can't find anything to watch, turn it off. Are you really missing anything?

In general, I think I spend too much time watching TV. You were right when you said that what we watch has a lot of influence on us. I find that I have to be especially careful what I watch shortly before I go to bed, as it affects my dreams.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thank God for your very encouraging comment, brother. I agree with what you wrote. My wife and I also watch Blue Bloods and, like you, we think it is overall a good show but also like you we wish it did not promote alcohol so much.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching the Winter Paralympics now and putting the other programs on hold... Watched the USA and Korea in sled hockey last night and never watch hockey but it was interesting... Also the Summer Paralympics we enjoyed also and was amazed at what those disabled athletes can push their bodies to do... I guess we can bounce between that and our other recorded programs... I remember growing up, my Dad a godly Baptist Christian now with the Lord... Favorite program was Gunsmoke!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about what is NOT on TV. Yesterday, ( 5 Mar) the local newspaper sponsored the area spelling bee. In the past, it has been broadcasted on the local PBS station. Not this year- it will not be on TV for another week or so.!
    In fact, the story only made page 5 of the Sunday Paper. What was so important for page 1? The two sons of SU basketball coach -Jim Boeheim being honored during the last game of their college Carrier at the Carrier Dome.

#16 Salty, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will admit that I enjoyed how Archie Bunker had a grasp on Scripture, especially concerning women being made by a rib - "a cheaper cut."

I also enjoyed "Coach" because it is just so real to how self centered many coaches and musicians can be.

But so much of the stuff offered on the market prevents me from looking at "live TV."

I rather watch old westerns like Hop-a-long Cassidy, then anything, today.

Hop-a-long always got the bad guy(s) and had a good word at the end for us "kids."

Caught Stuart Hamblin acting on a show the other day. He was killed by rustlers. My, that man was talented.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't watch Joel Osteen.
    I will watch some sit coms because they often hint at social issues of the times worth being aware of.
    I also find some sci-fi such as the newer "Lost in Space" enjoyable. (I have only watched the first season.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watch "classics" myself. About the only live broadcasts for me any more are sports, and that has come down to being almost all football. I'd rather watch a 50 year-old football game than almost anything produced for television today. The early Super Bowls or major college bowls are still worth watching to me.
    But the 4 biggest of my classic series would be Leave it to Beaver, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, and Hawaii Five-O. Among the second would be The Andy Griffith Show, Mission Impossible. The High Chaparral and other westerns. All these are available on youtube, Pluto TV, or Uncle Earl's.

Now... is watching classics and old football games and highlights the right way to live a Christian life? Not just watching them, but for me, I have spent many hours writing fan fiction about Beaver and Gunsmoke. The fact that these shows represent moral or American values in a positive way surely does not make spending way too much time on them anything good. As a Christian, I can have a greater obsession than is healthy, and I need to break it.

Besides, how positive are the values of these shows when one really thinks? Dragnet was based on true police cases solved in the stories by straight-laced Sgt. Joe Friday and his partners. But Friday is a liar at times in order to further his investigations. But is it right to question a police officer lying while agreeing he can use deadly force to protect himself or others in the area? Sometimes these old good-prevails-over-evil shows are not so clear after all.

20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I'd never heard of Uncle Earl's, so I will download the app to my Fire Stick. Looks like a lot of old familiar shows where I can go back to yesteryear.