1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reasons to Leave My NASB95

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jan 20, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good for you, Ed.

The NASU will continue to be my primary Bible. :thumbs:

2. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I was away for awhile. I was watching the History channel. :thumbs:

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

How 'bout faithfully spending time in God's word...better to read a faithful translation of the word of God than to simply own any particular version.

I'm currently going through Isaiah during my morning QT: as I study, I'm looking at the ESV, KJV, and NLT. I'm having a ball, and God is keeping me busy learning.

Can't help but wonder regarding the Bible pictured, BTW...I haven't seen a 1611 KJV with a burgundy leather cover and that particular cover lettering: could they be a 1769 or 1823 instead?

4. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

KJV with a burgundy leather cover.

I've seen them with many different colors. Google. :wavey:

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a hardback edition with a burgundy color of the 1611 reprint by Thomas Nelson that looks just like the one pictured.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. It's the REAL KJV, not these later modified versions that removed the apocrypha.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that The Scribe has the apocrypha in his newly bought version ?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if he has the version pictured.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm , my NIV , TNIV , NIrV , HCSB , NLTse , ESV etc. don't have those uncanonical books ( which largely oppose the teachings of the Word of God ) included in them .

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I mean Rippon, not you. I was going to ask him, not you.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's on first Bud ?

12. jniles

jniles New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too have one of those and it in fact is a complete KJV of 1611 with not just the unholy apocrypha, that the translators were inspired to include, but schedules for my morning and evening prayers. Has a distinctly Roman and low catholic smell to it.

Think I will stick with my badly worn HCSB and the old second string NASB for study. Yes there is a reason to keep your old NASB because it is the very best literal available and yes there is a reason to change to the HCSB because we finally have an optimal equivalence Bible second to none in our own language. Just my not so humble opinion.

13. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I don't have the apocrypha in any of my Bibles.

14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have this Bible, then you have the apocrypha - unless you cut the pages out yourself.

15. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That picture is from Google. ;)

16. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The NASB is a good translation, but if you must put it down for something else:

[​IMG]

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you don't have the real KJV.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Found this at this site;
    http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/pref1.htm
    There are 10 pages of it and I would behoove everyone here to go there and read the rest. I think that many here have forgotten just what the KJV meant then and what it still means to us today.

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER
    Preface to the King James Version 1611

(Not Copyrighted)
    THE BEST THINGS HAVE BEEN CALUMNIATED​

Zeal to promote the common good, whether it be by devising anything ourselves, or revising that which hath been laboured by others, deserveth certainly much respect and esteem, but yet findeth but cold entertainment in the world. It is welcomed with suspicion instead of love, and with emulation instead of thanks: and if there be any hole left for cavil to enter, (and cavil, if it do not find a hole, will make one) it is sure to be misconstrued, and in danger to be condemned. This will easily be granted by as many as know story, or have any experience. For, was there ever any-projected, that savoured any way of newness or renewing, but the same endured many a storm of gainsaying, or opposition? A man would think that Civility, wholesome Laws, learning and eloquence, Synods, and Church-maintenance, (that we speak of no more things of this kind) should be as safe as a Sanctuary, and out of shot, as they say, that no man would lift up the heel, no, nor dog move his tongue against the motioners of them. For by the first, we are distinguished from brute beasts lead with sensuality; By the second, we are bridled and restrained from outrageous behaviour, and from doing of injuries, whether by fraud or by violence; By the third, we are enabled to inform and reform others, by the light and feeling that we have attained unto ourselves; Briefly, by the fourth being brought together to a parley face to face, we sooner compose our differences than by writings which are endless; And lastly, that the Church be sufficiently provided for, is so agreeable to good reason and conscience, that those mothers are holden to be less cruel, that kill their children as soon as they are born, than those nursing fathers and mothers (wheresoever they be) that withdraw from them who hang upon their breasts (and upon whose breasts again themselves do hang to receive the Spiritual and sincere milk of the word) livelihood and support fit for their estates. Thus it is apparent, that these things which we speak of, are of most necessary use, and therefore, that none, either without absurdity can speak against them, or without note of wickedness can spurn against them.

Yet for all that, the learned know that certain worthy men [Anacharsis with others] have been brought to untimely death for none other fault, but for seeking to reduce their Countrymen to god order and discipline; and that in some Commonwealths [e.g. Locri] it was made a capital crime, once to motion the making of a new Law for the abrogating of an old, though the same were most pernicious; And that certain [Cato the elder], which would be counted pillars of the State, and patterns of Virtue and Prudence, could not be brought for a long time to give way to good Letters and refined speech, but bare themselves as averse from them, as from rocks or boxes of poison; And fourthly, that he was no babe, but a great clerk [Gregory the Divine], that gave forth (and in writing to remain to posterity) in passion peradventure, but yet he gave forth, that he had not seen any profit to come by any Synod, or meeting of the Clergy, but rather the contrary; And lastly, against Church-maintenance and allowance, in such sort, as the Ambassadors and messengers of the great King of Kings should be furnished, it is not unknown what a fiction or fable (so it is esteemed, and for no better by the reporter himself [Nauclerus], though superstitious) was devised; Namely, that at such a time as the professors and teachers of Christianity in the Church of Rome, then a true Church, were liberally endowed, a voice forsooth was heard from heaven, saying: Now is poison poured down into the Church, etc. Thus not only as oft as we speak, as one saith, but also as oft as we do anything of note or consequence, we subject ourselves to everyone's censure, and happy is he that is least tossed upon tongues; for utterly to escape the snatch of them it is impossible. If any man conceit, that this is the lot and portion of the meaner sort only, and that Princes are privileged by their high estate, he is deceived. "As the sword devoureth as well one as the other," as it is in Samuel [2 Sam 11:25], nay as the great Commander charged his soldiers in a certain battle, to strike at no part of the enemy, but at the face; And as the King of Syria commanded his chief Captains to "fight neither with small nor great, save only against the King of Israel:" [1 Kings 22:31] so it is too true, that Envy striketh most spitefully at the fairest, and at the chiefest. David was a worthy Prince, and no man to be compared to him for his first deeds, and yet for as worthy as act as ever he did (even for bringing back the Ark of God in solemnity) he was scorned and scoffed at by his own wife [2 Sam 6:16]. Solomon was greater than David, though not in virtue, yet in power: and by his power and wisdom he built a Temple to the Lord, such a one as was the glory of the land of Israel, and the wonder of the whole world. But was that his magnificence liked of by all? We doubt it. Otherwise, why do they lay it in his son's dish, and call unto him for easing the burden, "Make", say they, "the grievous servitude of thy father, and his sore yoke, lighter?" [1 Kings 12:4] Belike he had charged them with some levies, and troubled them with some carriages; Hereupon they raise up a tragedy, and wish in their heart the Temple had never been built. So hard a thing it is to please all, even when we please God best, and do seek to approve ourselves to every ones conscience.

If we will descend to later times, we shall find many the like examples of such kind, or rather unkind acceptance. The first Roman Emperor [C. Caesar. Plutarch] did never do a more pleasing deed to the learned, nor more profitable to posterity, for conserving the record of times in true supputation; than when he corrected the Calendar, and ordered the year according to the course of the Sun; and yet this was imputed to him for novelty, and arrogance, and procured to him great obloguy. So the first Christened Emperor [Constantine] (at the least- wise that openly professed the faith himself, and allowed others to do the like) for strengthening the Empire at his great charges, and pro- viding for the Church, as he did, got for his labour the name Pupillus, as who would say, a wasteful Prince, that had need of a Guardian or overseer [Aurel. Victor]. So the best Christened Emperor [Theodosius], for the love that he bare unto peace, thereby to enrich both himself and his subjects, and because he did not see war but find it, was judged to be no man at arms [Zosimus], (though indeed he excelled in feats of chivalry, and showed so much when he was provoked) and con- demned for giving himself to his ease, and to his pleasure. To be short, the most learned Emperor of former times [Justinian], (at the least, the greatest politician) what thanks had he for cutting off the superfluities of the laws, and digesting them into some order and method? This, that he had been blotted by some to be an Epitomist, that is, one that extinguishes worthy whole volumes, to bring his abridgments into request. This is the measure that hath been rendered to excellent Princes in former times, even, Cum bene facerent, male audire, For their good deeds to be evil spoken of. Neither is there any likelihood, that envy and malignity died, and were buried with the ancient. No, no, the reproof of Moses taketh hold of most ages; "You are risen up in your fathers' stead, and increase of sinful men." [Num 32:14] "What is that that hath been done? that which shall be done; and there is no new thing under the Sun," saith the wiseman: [Ecc 1:9] and S. Stephen, "As your fathers did, so do you." [Acts 7:51]

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As I refer you to the red highlighted area above I would consider the translators to be quite prophetic wouldn't you say?

20. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I have the canon and that's all you need.