1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regarding My Avatar

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Baptist Believer, May 4, 2018.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All:

I had a private message a few minutes ago inquiring about my avatar.

The man pictured in the avatar is not me, it’s Daryl Davis.

I admire Daryl Davis because of his long-time efforts to befriend white supremacists and talk to them respectfully and honestly, like Jesus might do. After getting to know Davis, many white supremacists renounce their racism.

Normally I don’t let people around here get under my skin, but about a month or two ago, I posted one or two things in anger and realized that I was veering into unChristian behavior instead of forcefully advocating for what I believe is true and Christlike. I decided to make Mr. Davis my avatar to remind me that if Davis can act Christianly when confronted with people who hold him in contempt, I can certainly be civil when talking to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I realized this evening that many people may not recognize Daryl Davis, so I wanted to post this note to clear up any confusion.

If you are interested in Davis, you may want to take a look at this video, or search for the PBS documentary, Accidental Courtesy.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the PBS documentary on Mr. Davis. It was among the most astounding stories I can remember coming across.

• Like Like x 1
  3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! I need an occasional reminder of just what you offered.

Not surprisingly, several years ago I wrote a similar post basically along the lines of yours, and got berated by a couple of posters for "not being firm in my beliefs". Most, however took my post in the vein intended, and I expect you will probably get the same results.

Anyway, thanks again!!:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought either you actually were Daryl or you were a close relative of his - your description of yourself, age, weight, and the overall quality of your posts made me think you could actually be him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hah, no. I'm whiter than white, but I am a big guy. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the man, but I admire what he does. I'm sure he has his faults, just like me, but he seems to be a good person with his head on straight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did he ever preach with johnny Lee Clary? Seems like I have seen him somewhere but can't place it.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, I don't know if he is a lay preacher.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This brings up a point that seldom gets talked about, ministry to white supremacists. It seems that the church as a whole condemns them, writes them off, and makes no effort to minister to them. Most of them are good people who are very misguided and very ignorant. I am not talking about the elites such as David Duke, but the average member of the Klan or non member who holds the views. They don't really hate blacks or Jews, they hate change. They fear change. They don't have much materially and they fear losing What little they have.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make a good point. Years ago there was a white Baptist minister named Will Campbell who walked with MLK and heavily involved in the Civil Rights Movement. He grew to have contempt for the KKK, but he realized that Jesus told him that he was to love his enemies, not hate them.

So he became a chaplain to Klansmen because he recognized, with the Holy Spirit's conviction, that the people involved in the KKK had profound spiritual needs that could not be solved with resistance and venom. He took a lot of criticism for it, but I'm convinced it was the right thing to do, even if it wasn't popular with people on the right or the left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My favorite Baptist minister was a man by the name of Joseph Brown. I uploaded one of his sermons....

• Like Like x 1
  11. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Use to love the inner-city preaching as well!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who are interested in the Daryl Davis documentary, Accidental Courtesy, it is currently available on Netflix for streaming or download.

• Like Like x 1