1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration w/o Living Water?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Apr 11, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to think there is only an eternal thirst? Is there a daily one also?... Brother Glen

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have a scripture in mind?

3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many! But pose this question first... Why do you come here?... Do you have a thirst?... Do you have a hunger?... For spiritual things?... Why?... Brother Glen

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you thirst for living water brother? Stay on topic

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The living water is FREE!... I come everyday!... And I enjoy every drop!

I am crucified with Christ!... Never the less I live!
    Present your bodies a living sacrifice holy and acceptable unto God

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And he that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely... Brother Glen

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It has been answered, and answered well...you just don't agree with it.

EVERYTHING with you is a 'hill worth dying on' issue. EVERYTHING is a 'test of fellowship' topic with you.

Let me tell you something...

Monday we laid our precious daddy to rest. He had been ready since June 30, 1997. We had two night of church...and I mean CHURCH over him. We had some wonderful singing, preaching and even some Sisters were blessed to shout...shoot, I helped them in the shouting department. There were three preachers that preached saturday night, two sunday night, and three for his funeral. I was the only one of them that was a five-pointer. Five were maybe two and two of those preachers were probably no-pointers, being a typical five-point Arminianist. I rejoiced at their preaching because they preached Jesus as the only way to heaven.

This topic isn't something I will debate with them, not because of fear, but of love. I know their beliefs. I don't want to push mine on them. If they would ask me, I'd gladly tell them what I believe.

Would you allow a five-point Calvinist to preach over one of your family members?

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

steaver,

I will try to break this down as simply as I can to show you that you have a faulty view of the ruin of man.

If man's faith is innate, inherent, comes from him, &c., then by stating it that way, man has justified himself. In Gal. 3 Paul wrote, 'And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.'(vs 8) Then we read where Paul wrote this, 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,(Gal. 5:22), and also....'For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth'(Eph. 5:9). Now, both sides state and aver that faith is necessary prior to the conversion, salvation of the soul of man. Faith is a fruit of the Spirit as I plainly showed you in those verses.

You are saying that a sinner has faith innate, already in there, passed down from Adam. Faith being a fruit of the Spirit, then how can a sinner exercise a fruit of the Spirit, when your side of the debate states that no sinner has saving faith? You are crossing yourselves in your doctrine and don't even realize it. If a man 'barhopping, shooting up drugs, raping women, robbing people, murdering people, &c.', you guys think this type of peoples have innate, inherent faith dwelling within them. How can they have faith, if it's a fruit of the Spirit. Is there more than one kind of faith?

Until you truly realize the complete, utter, and decayed ruin of mankind, you will always have a faulty doctrine...

#27 convicted1, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, you have to stay on topic brother. The living water is IN YOU. You do not have to come everyday and get re-saved. Jesus said the living water He shall give you shall be in you and you shall NEVER thirst!!!!! You have to understand, the subject is eternal life here, not spiritual growth.

#28 steaver, Apr 22, 2015
  9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your response has been refuted by scripture itself. My follow up question for you has yet to be answered by anyone.

Have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else. I have never placed anyone on ignore, neither do I post personal attacks and make fun of people. One of my good friends is a Calvinist.

Sorry for your loss brother. Yes I would allow any Calvinist to speak over one of my family members. However, I doubt they would get into theology at such a time as this. At least I would hope not.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why debates remain debates. All the hopping around from topic to topic. This thread is about the living water (eternal life) Jesus said He would give to those who thirst. You still have this to answer.....

"So God gives them the living water first so they then get thirsty?"

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This is on topic. The Living Water is the Spirit. Those that have the Living Water will have faith, love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, & faith.

Dead people have no thirst. Go and give water to a corpse and see if they will drink it. They have no desire for it. It's the same with the unregenerate. They have zero desire for it. When God sets up that thirst, the quenching of the thirst comes immediately afterwards.

12. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

And yet, when Jesus spoke with the Samaritan woman at the well, he said:
    That tenth verse makes it seem as though the woman could have asked Him, if she had known. It doesn't imply that she lacked the ability, merely the knowledge.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A short kibbitz: see John 6:44. Most all English translations say the same thing--almost verbatim. Irresistible call and eternal security all in one verse. We have no merit of ourselves. Praise the Lord.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The unsaved do lack the ability to form correct views of God and His word, since the fall. That is why apart from the Spirit effectually calling them they will never come in and of themselves...that is the point.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I "could have " played major league baseball if I "could" have hit 790 baseballs over the fence in a ten year period. I could have jumped over the atlantic ocean to Italy if it were not for gravity.....see how it works PT.....

#34 Iconoclast, Apr 22, 2015
  15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'd like to drag up some Old Testament scripture, because I feel there is an applicable verse for us here:
    Here we have Moses delivering a word from the Lord to the people of Israel. He plainly tells them that the commandment being delivered unto them is "not hidden from thee, neither is it far off." Other translation use the phrase "out of reach." So apparently these Israelites could attain unto the commandment. They could fulfill it, seeing as it was not hidden, nor far off. And we're told what was set before them was "life and good" and "death and evil." The more I read and study on this scripture, the more I'm convinced Moses was telling them "keep the commandment and live, or break the commandment and die." Perhaps not immediately, but that would be the outcome, what with the wages of sin being death and all that.

Why would Moses tell these folks that the commandment was not hidden, out of reach, or far off, and that they had life and death laid before them, if they were incapable from the start of forming a correct view?

I do see how it works. I also see how you are using outlandish situations as though they stands as proof against my point of view.

16. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Mosaic Law was unlike the law written on the heart of the Elect (Jer. 31:33). It was possible for Jews living in covenant Israel to obey the law outwardly. This does not mean they believed in faith, as did Abraham (Gen. 15:6).

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AMEN! Spot on brother!

That sure sounds good for Calvinism's cause, however, it is not what Jesus said. Jesus said anyone who thirst may come and be given "living water". And what did Jesus say would happen afterwards? They shall NEVER thirst. Thus Calvinism's theology of the giving of living water causing the thirst is quite backwards, and quite illogical even, one could even say it is just plain dumb. If God gave the living water first their would be no more thirst. It's pretty simple, but Calvinism needs it to be not as Jesus said in order to save the ism.

Really folks, let's be serious. One is not given water so they can become thirsty!!!!! Good grief......

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    =PreachTony;
    I do see how it works. I also see how you are using outlandish situations as though they stands as proof against my point of view.[/QUOTE]

My examples have more of a chance of taking place than your ideas about dead sinners bringing themself to life. Now that is outlandish.....

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is one for you brother, do you have any young children or grandchildren? Pour a glass of water and offer it to one of them, and say, drink this glass of water so you can get thirsty. See if they get it. :laugh:

20. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your putting the cart before the horse, regeneration is to revive a lost spiritually dead sheep.