1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reigning with Christ during the Millennium

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by terrpn, Jul 21, 2018.

1. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the body comes with Christ at the 2nd Advent and into the Millennium........we have those born again believers who earned an inheritance to "reign with Jesus Christ" including those who did not receive any rewards at the Judgment Seat. They did not suffer, they did not serve him, they did absolutely nothing with their salvation after being saved what will they be doing during the Millennium along with the people that did suffer for Christ's sake, had works to go along with their salvation?

There is a distinction between the ACQUIRED inheritance and the EARNED inheritance.

I am not speaking of a believers unconditional inheritance.............all Christian's are heirs based on faith alone.

Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Reigning with Christ is connected to suffering and service to Jesus Christ......... He/she does not deserve an inheritance- these are conditional inheritances

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Meaning the Millennial inheritance and not salvation in this (Col.3:24) verse. Salvation is not a reward, but a free gift.

Ephesians 5:1-8 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

My reference, understanding is the following............Luke's account and Matthew's account are not the same

Luke 19:13-27 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us. 15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. 16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. 17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. 18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. 19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities. 20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin: 21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow. 22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow: 23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury? 24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds. 25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.) 26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. 27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

So no fruit and what a 1,000 year time out, go stand in the corner (LOL)? Evidently you can enjoy the scenery, enjoy the Lord reigning things................., but you yourself personally will not be an official and will get nothing to reign over-- there are some things a Christian can lose.

Hebrews 12:15-17 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; 16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

#1 terrpn, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Jesus Saves!

Jesus Saves! Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel that we begin to reign with Christ as soon as we are born again and become a part of his kingdom. We join a Great War between sin and righteousness. When we were lost, sin had dominion over us. But when you get born again, you receive the spirit which gives us power over sin. If we walk in the spirit, we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Romans 6:12,14-15 KJV
    [12] Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. [14] For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. [15] What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

We sit with Christ.
    Ephesians 2:5-6 KJV
    [5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) [6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 1:3 KJV
    [3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

We suffer when we war against the flesh and this old world of sin.
    Romans 7:14-25 KJV
    [14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. [15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. [16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. [17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: [23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

• Like Like x 4
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have to wait for the Millennium I'm reigning with Christ as this brother pointed out now... When the Lord comes again and takes us home we won't have to worry about reigning with Christ in a Millennium, as a Millennium is nothing compared to Eternity... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good stuff folks, but you still side stepped my initial area of question................? Reigning or being a member of the body of Christ would be more accurate as Christ is the head during the Church Age in this dispensation is one thing, but there is a distinction of a Christian reigning during the Millennium- per the scripture provided and supported?

Reigning with Christ is a conditional inheritance based on what we did after we got saved vs to get saved which is based on grace, redemption that is in Christ- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

1 Corinthians 3:8 (KJV) Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Hebrews 6:10 (KJV) For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

1 Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

1 Corinthians 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

2 Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Not trying to be sarcastic was just hopeful someone on the forum had a better answer vs from what I have studied, heard, been told, etc.

If seems that some Church Age Christians will not reign with Christ? There are works involved with salvation, not to be saved as that inheritance is unconditional based on acceptance of the shed blood of Jesus Christ- ONLY, but we do not deny the conditional inheritance requirements for deserving to reign

1 Timothy 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

No offense, but the "I feel" does not count as does in my opinion. Scripture as TCassidy if possible.............

#4 terrpn, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  5. Jesus Saves!

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about this scripture?
    Matthew 20:1-14 KJV
    [1] For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard. [2] And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard. [3] And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, [4] And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way. [5] Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise. [6] And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle? [7] They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive. [8] So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. [9] And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. [10] But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. [11] And when they had received it , they murmured against the goodman of the house, [12] Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day. [13] But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? [14] Take that thine is , and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

They all received the same amount.

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense taken but I do not believe as some other brethren do, like yourself of a millennium... I believe also those who believe in a millennium also believe in a rapture, but I do believe in a resurrection... That is mentioned 41 times in the NT... Now that I've stirred up the pot, I have make a hasty retreat... I hear the Calvary coming!... Brother Glen:D

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jesus Saves!

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I read this, when the Lord comes back the second time, he's coming to get his church. He already came once and cried it's finished. I believe his work was finished here on earth. He fulfilled the law and paid our sin debt. Then he rose again to take the eternal throne of David.

Acts 2:29-36 KJV
    [29] Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. [30] Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; [31] He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. [32] This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. [33] Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. [34] For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, [35] Until I make thy foes thy footstool. [36] Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I'm back and speaking of reigning with Christ I thought I would post these scriptures taken from the Apostles Paul's address on the resurrection in 1 Corinthians chapter 15... The bible is always full of surprises... Brother Glen:)

1 Corinthians 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great scripture brother and thank you!

This would be the 9th parable of the KOH………….applying this parable to Christian service I can see your point and this is what I am looking for. I would assume it means this- if you get in contract (saved) with the Lord and are completely sold out to the Lord no matter how much time you put out in the field, vineyard (service?) you will get rewarded, get paid the same as anybody else?

Everyone who went out into the vineyard (service to the Lord) regardless of who did more or less- all received a penny or the same payment.

Matthew 20:9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

One way you can interpret is if a person surrenders to Christ say tonight and the Lord comes, raptures us out the next night the way I read is we all get the same reward as a person who surrendered and served the Lord his/her whole life?

On the other hand………this would be in contrast in Pauline Epistle to a person who does not suffer for the Lord, no service regarding to their conditional reward for reigning with Christ. Discerning the scripture this parable deals with the KOH and not the KOG, Pauline epistle, so my question still stands?

10. Jesus Saves!

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's showing that We are getting to Heaven because we answered the gospel call and there's no big I's or little You's. But all that are there will be only by the blood of Jesus. I also feel that as soon as we truly believe, we begin to suffer. The warfare begins between the inward and outward man. It's a battle to mortifying the deeds of the flesh. I believe we reign with Christ when we have the old fleshly man under subjection.

Romans 7:10-25 KJV
    [10] And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. [11] For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me . [12] Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. [13] Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. [14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. [15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. [16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. [17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: [23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

• Like Like x 2
  11. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can’t argue with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think many confuse the millennium (1000 years) with restoring Israel (Christendom) that happens in the resurrection and rapture on the last day. The 1000 years = Satan’s binding. And the believers rule to the extent God binds Satan. Notice when the 1000 years end God loses Satan. It says nothing about the 1000 years being the kingdom.

Many think God’s restoration of Israel happens 7 years after the rapture in a 1000 year long millennium. But this has several difficulties. One, nobody but the Father knows the time for Israel’s restoration.

“When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” (Acts 1:6–7)

Acts also places this restoration on the last day.

“Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” (Acts 3:19–21)

So there is no millennium wedged between this present evil world and the world to come. The world to come is the restoration that takes place in the resurrection (restoration) on the last day. Followed by our entering the new heavens and earth.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's much to do with REIGNING with Christ in the millenium. First, people will continue to have children, which must be properly raised. Second, I don't believe God made the vast universe just for men to observe with telescopes & wonder what's out there. Of course, we don't know what projects Jesus will have for us, or whether it involves extraterrestrial activity or not, but it'll be greatly joyful, whatever it'll be.

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are confusing the Millennium (will never happen) with Israel's restoration in the resurrection on the last day. And the prophecies will find complete fulfillment then in the New Heavens and Earth. The 1000 years of Revelation 20 is not the kingdom, because Satan attacks the kingdom when the 1000 years end. The 1000 years represent the binding of Satan by the gospel and to that extent the saints reign over him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi 1689Dave......am out on road and will retort later today as we will have to agree to disagree, however you did provide some good scripture.

Appreciate your candor as well in disagreeing as some folk on this forum (new) like to debased people when they do not agree with their ideology.

Harvard professors do not impress me at all- very haughty and condemn sending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thought, and I will study this parable more soon, is that the only part of your life that matters with regards to rewards is the christian part. Meaning a person saved at 50 who lives faithfully for 20 more years will get the same reward as someone saved at 20 who lives equally faithfully for another 50 years. Now this thought just came off the top of my head as an idea to chew on.

I do think the passage on the bema seat strongly indicates variable rewards.

17. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't agree that God will not keep his kingdom promises to Israel. When is Jesus ruling the nations personally with an iron rod?

Revelation 19:14-16 (ESV) 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

If not during the millenial reign, when is Christ going to rule them with an iron rod?

Revelation 20:4 (ESV) 4 Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

So the people, those who have not yet lived because so far the beast has not placed his mark on anyone, will come to life in the future and reign with Christ for 1000 years.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rule = shepherd the nations with a rod of iron as he herds them into receiving the wrath of God on the last day. Also in Romans 11, God removed the unbelievers from Israel and will restore only those who place their faith in Christ. In essence, Jesus is Israel in the New Covenant along with us who believe in him.

“And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.” (Romans 11:23)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My replies in red.

John D. Wright, wrote
    I can't agree that God will not keep his kingdom promises to Israel. When is Jesus ruling the nations personally with an iron rod?

Revelation 19:14-16
    If not during the millenial reign, when is Christ going to rule them with an iron rod?​

Presently, during the Gospel age while he is gathering his elect from all nations, including, of course Israel, who were gathered by the Apostolic Gospel.
    Psalm 2, quoted in Acts 4:23-29 is instructive - the nations gathered in rebellion against God, plotting to destroy the Lord Jesus Christ. Now the people of the nations have the choice, repent & trust Jesus, or face the iron rod destruction.

The leaders of first century Israel, who rejected their Messiah, suffered the iron rod. Smashed to pieces. Rev. 2:27

Many of us understand the millennial reign as the present Gospel age.

The promises to Abram, Isaac & Israel are being fulfilled by the Gospel and will be perfectly fulfilled for all Israel - Jew & Gentile believers as one redeemed people of God - in the NH&NE.

Revelation 20:4 (ESV) 4

So the people, those who have not yet lived because so far the beast has not placed his mark on anyone, will come to life in the future and reign with Christ for 1000 years.​

John's vision is of living souls, who have been faithful. Rev. 1 tells us that the visions were given for the blessing of those who read, hear & obey - John's companions in tribulation. These faithful souls were born of God as they received the word, (John 1) & passed from death to life in a spiritual sense. (John 5:24-29) Jesus carefully distinguishes between the resurrection of conversion (John 5:24-25) and the bodily resurrection of all the dead, good & bad, for judgment.

All believers enjoy the first resurrection when they are become believers. We don't have to wait for Jesus' return, and by that spiritual resurrection of our souls we are protected from the second death.

The millennium is the Gospel age, as 2 Peter 3 explains, the time allowed for repentance. For those converted in the first century, the "millennium" will run its full course, whereas for those converted on the last day, it will be one day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1689 Dave……….

But you do accept Christ’s physical-earthly return for the 2nd Advent after the 7 year tribulation or do you not? I only ask because I did not see it mentioned and I know there are those on this forum I have read somewhere who believe otherwise?