1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Remote Island Tribesmen Kill Visiting American

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Chau, a graduate of Oral Roberts University who went by "JC," was killed trying to establish contact with the Sentinelese unreached people group. A sports evangelist, JC went to island with a Bible and a soccer ball and reportedly "just kept walking" towards the tribesmen as they pummeled him with arrows:

"Hit By Arrows, Kept Walking": American Killed By Protected Andaman Tribe

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnachau

The most remote tribe in the world

"The Sentinelese inhabit an unexplored island called North Sentinel island, located in the Andaman Islands....The Sentinelese are classified as Negritos....show strong physical similarities with the pygmy peoples of Africa....anthropologists...were unsuccessful in establishing any form of contact with the Sentinelese. Then, in 1974, a National Geographic expedition shooting a documentary was even less successful....the National Geographic crew and the accompanying police were met with a hail of arrows....one of which struck the documentary director in the thigh."

American killed by an isolated tribe on remote Indian island | Reuters

"The American, identified as 26-year-old John Allen Chau, was killed after being illegally ferried to the island by fishermen"

"Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat. He told the fishermen on Nov. 16 he would not come back from the island and instructed them to...pass on some handwritten notes he had made....In his notes...Chau wrote....'I have been so nice to them, why are they so angry and so aggressive?'....Chau wrote that he was “'doing this to establish the kingdom of Jesus on the island...Do not blame the natives if I am killed.'"

[​IMG]

2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, the word was out to everyone in that area that trespassers would get killed, so he pretty much knew what was going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it's because they're all too aware of the fates of the other indigenous tribes on the other Andaman Islands at the hands of the British and the Japanese.

Andaman Islands

Interesting:

The Island Time Forgot

"...their hostile attitude towards strangers probably saved them from extinction over the centuries. While the current policy tries to preserve their culture, it was not always like that and other tribes from the Andaman Islands faced extinction.

The Great Andamanese tribes, who numbered several thousand in the 18th century, were decimated by the Crown colonialists and currently less than 100 of them live...."
    North Sentinel Island

#3 kyredneck, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and in a Full Disclosure the Native Americans in North, Central and South America did not fare to well either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ancient tribes that want to kill you? Sometimes Gilligan's Island had more truth in it than we realize.

6. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This young man was helping fulfill the prophecy, “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and as every generation since Christ I'll repeat "the end is near".

However, what generation has seen the nation of Israel reborn in one day (May 14, 1948) with the city of Jerusalem no longer trod down by the Gentiles?

This generation.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A generation, being 40 years, would mean 'that generation' passed away in 1988.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see a biblical generation as the lifetime of a man - currently 70-100 years.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple.
    2 But he answered and said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
    3 And as he sat on the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24

The generation that witnessed the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple was "this generation".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is more the savage them or us?... I say leave them alone and let them live their lives in peace and harmony... When I think of these people it reminds of the Native American Indian who once lived where we live now... Enough said!... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, "generation" may have a definition of a larger scope than just the life of an individual.
    I see you skipped down to verse 34 so the context was probably lost from "generation" (not even mentioned in verses 1-3) and verse 34.
    Also Luke 21 and Mark 13 seem to be parallel portions of scripture which must be compared and analyzed as to "generation".

Personally I don't get involved in ping-pong debates anymore especially involving those which have been repeatedly beaten to death.

I understand, respect and accept the choice of your point of view which seems to be partial preterite.

I do indeed see two phases "The Days of Vengeance" (AD70) generation and that farther reaching "generation" whose date is future who will see the days of the Gentiles fulfilled with Jesus returning thereafter in His Glory with His kingdom.

Admittedly I have difficulties putting things together.
    But no matter which view I take to test scripturally I have issues.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#13 Revmitchell, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Chau was not a visitor, He was an uninvited trespasser. He was warned of the dangers of setting foot on the island.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely correct - but he was going to spread the Gospel
    So does Acts 5:29 apply here?

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I can't imagine anyone would doubt that he wasn't welcome there, by the violent reception he got!

and a 'trespasser' is just that sort of visitor:

Thesaurus.com

"Synonyms for unwanted visitor
    intruder, trespasser."

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An opinion, a scholarly opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.
    In the scripture the quantitative and qualitative definition of a generation is of the Holy Spirit.

If "generation" can mean a duration of time such as the "times of the Gentiles" as being a "generation" and if that generation has not yet ended then the Sentinelese people are covered by that prophecy of Christ and Paul "until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in".

#18 HankD, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking more in terms of Acts 16:7.

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought about this a lot and find it fascinating, probably something to do my obsession with Tarzan episodes that as a child I played out continuously. From making bows, arrows and spears, climbing and swinging from trees, running barefoot in the jungles of Guam for hours a day as a little boy, interacting with animals like a whisperer and a very impressive Tarzan yell...a call which I can still pull off pretty well to this day…these jungle savages and their behavior, like when they stole boy and Jane, have crossed my mind quite a bit. :)

From a modern view, the way I see it there are many difficulties in dealing with these people being isolated such as their immune systems likely have no protection from many common diseases and a language barrier without even a start towards developing interpretation.

Humanity seems to suggest 2 main things. First, that we should probably look out for this weaker people, having been left behind and isolated, but with that comes certain responsibilities that I feel go beyond putting them in a bubble like some science experiment. They are part of the world’s community whether they like it or not. Second, I feel their right to protect “their land” ends our civil humanity allowances at the point of them being a murderous people who kill any intruders on “their” land when someone has come in peace. Bottom line, it is God’s land first given to all mankind and secondary ownership comes with civil responsibilities. I don’t care who you are or what your excuse humanity comes with expectations or the violators should be dealt with.!

As per the intruder I think he was very foolish, that in a way he was testing God by thinking he should have the power to approach savages without harm. His own writings demonstrate that he saw the suicidal aspects of approaching these people who had just attacked him trying to approach the day before. He used very poor judgment and thought himself invulnerable for reasons known to him, but I suspect its roots, as I said, had to do with him wanting to be a hero for God or bust as a martyr and this “invulnerability complex” came with some sort of distorted Pentecostal-like thinking that he had the power of God behind him to protect him. Although, I can appreciate his enthusiasm and faith he exercised extremely poor judgment and demonstrated just how young and dumb he truly was to willingly walk into this fatalistic situation.

As per his body, I read they don’t think they are cannibalistic but they don’t even know that for sure.

That said, I have 24 year old son and I’d like to believe that he is logical and sensible enough not to do something so foolish. But, I can’t help to think that if MY SON (my “boy”) had approached these murderous people in peace and they killed him that my sense of humanity would tell me that these savage people need to be exterminated. From the depths of heart ache, the savage in me might arise and I would be very tempted to visit these murderers with my bang-bang sticks and go Rambo on them. Yet, in mercy somewhere along the line I think my sense of humanity would spare some in the hope that they could become a part of our civil world.

IOWs if they refused to act with human passion I would treat them like the dangerous wild animals they behaved like and be tempted to rid the earth of them in such a situation. Finally, I don’t see putting them in bubble, like a putting them in a zoo for anthropological study being any more humanitarian than requiring that they be civilized enough to be a part of the world’s society- even if takes drastic and deadly efforts to bring this about.

Just some food for thought…