1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Replacement Theology

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pops, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor can I.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I guess you guys don't take in much modern art. ;)

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I just read through this thread, and it seems like there are many misconceptions about what replacement theology is.
    Replacement theology is the concept that the church has replaced Israel, and that Israel no longer exists as a separate entity. It is a heretical anti-semitical movement. It was adopted by the Catholic Church who took the position that she was the church that replaced Israel.
    Israel still exists whether we like it or not. God has set her on a shelf for a temporary period of time, blinder her eyes to the gospel. But she still exists. The UN gave her official status in 1948 as a nation. She may be far away from God, but she still exists. The Arab nations may have the goal of wiping her of the face of this earth, but she still exists. She has not been replaced.

Christianity came out of Judaism; did not replace Judaism. Unfortunately some evangelicals have bought into this lie of replacement theology. If taken to its logical outcome Islam believes it will replace Christianity. That is replacement theology. And when the Antichrist appears he certainly will replace Christianity, as the rapture will have occured, and he will set up his own one-world church. It will be anti-Christ, and anti-Jew.
    Judaism may be, at the present time, far away from where it should be, but it has not been replaced.
    Remember, our Saviour was a Jew.

4. lbaker

lbaker New Member

http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/hinntemple.html

http://www.letusreason.org/b.hinn13.htm

http://jewishwhistleblower.blogspot.com/2005/01/rabbi-yosef-dayan-future-king-of.html

The above are links that talk about the different folks involved in planning to rebuild the temple, restore the Sanhedrin, and re-establish the (earthly) Kingdom of Israel.

Just a random sampling of what I found with google.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I remember my dispy correctly, the antichrist is supposed to defile the holy place in the middle of the 7 years tribulation. I was wondering how the place could be holy if 1) God rent the veil in twain; 2) Titus already defiled it by sacrificing a pig on it; and 3) it was destroyed.

As far as replacement theology goes, I don't really know what it is, but I know that God made of twain (gentile and jew) one new man (church), and gentile and jew both still exist, but neither are under OT covenant. When a jew receives Christ, he becomes "church" in terms of "religion" or "economy", and is no longer under OT economy (which these days is not really OT anyway - it's rabbinic).

There is a nation called Israel but it is not the same as OT Israel nor can ever be the same - the cross changes everything. Jesus is not waiting to sit on the Davidic throne, he is there already. The kingdom has been restored to Israel - Christ restored it. When Christ returns to establish his kingdom on the physical earth, he will not be reigning over the land of Canaan only - he will rule the whole earth, and his people will not be known ethnically - his people are his elect from every tribe and tongue and nation. IN CHRIST there is neither Jew nor Greek....

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Amen Bro DHK! :thumbs:

Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. (Romans 11:18)

I believe that "the root" is Christ, not national Israel. I have never seen the term "spiritual Israel" or "spiritual Jew" in the Bible. Saved Jews and Gentiles are called born again Christians. I am ethnically Jewish, but I am a born again Christian--a member of the Body of Christ. My ethnicity as a Jew has nothing to do with my faith in Christ--the ground is level at the foot of the cross--both Jew and Gentile come to Christ the same way, by grace through faith.

The Church did not replace Israel--Jesus Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven--He is NOT reigning at the present time in Jerusalem--national Israel is the same nation as it was in the O.T.

#46 Linda64, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Basically Replacement theology says that all the promises that were given to Israel are no more given to Israel; they are now given to the church. In that way the church replaces Israel completely. She will not even inherit the original promises given her. It is very anti-semitic.
    Here is a link where you can read a little more about it.

http://www.gotquestions.org/replacement-theology.html

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is "Judaism"? If it is the jews' religion under Moses, then it has been replaced. If it's still here, where are they doing it? Where is the Holy of Holies? And if they build one, will be the Holy of Holies, or just a facade?

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It looks to me like "replacement theology" is just a pejorative label for Covenant Theology that was made up by a dispensationalist.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically, that's what Paul said in Gal. 3:16 with one caveat, that the promises were always for Christ. The Church, which is called out from every tribe and nation, is joint heirs with Christ. I'd call it Fulfillment Theology, but someone long before me called it Covenant Theology.

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right on! Me too.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So then you deny such promises as Romans 11:26
    "So then all Israel shall be saved," and say that promise is not pertaining to the nation of Israel, but rather to the church. And all such promises pertaining to Israel pertain to the church instead. Israel is out of the picture now. That is replacement theology--an anti-semitic heresy.

13. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Why do you keep calling us anti-semitic?

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

This was not addressed to me but since the shoe is implied to fit - what is "heresy"? Is Covenant Theology orthodox or heterodox?

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I was raised in Reform Judaism. Judaism is still around--but now it is called "Rabbinical Judaism"--the religion of the Pharisees--which is the Judaism practiced today by the Jews. This is a "dead" religion of works (or "mitzvahs").

Christianity has its roots, not in this "dead" religion of works, called "Rabbinical Judaism", but in the faith of Abraham and his descendants, through Isaac. Most Jews (including me before I was saved) are ignorant about the O.T. and believe that the N.T. is the "Bible" of the Gentiles (goyim).

The Tribulation Temple will NOT be built according to God's plan--but according to the plan of the Jews. I agree, the Holy of Holies will probably be a facade. The Jews today, who are practicing "Rabbinical Judaism" (there are Jews today who claim to be atheists) believe that salvation comes through "good works", since there is no temple or Holy of Holies. Like I said, Judaism, as it is practiced today, is a "dead" religion of works--the "religion" of the Pharisees--which are also still around.

16. lbaker

lbaker New Member

So, is this not going to be the temple spoken of in Revelation then? I thought that was where the whole idea of a third temple came from.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's start a list of renowned Israelis who were NOT saved. The first that come to mind are Ahab, Caiphas and Judas. Israelites, no doubt, but saved? So "all Israel" cannot mean every Israelite. Paul said that they are not all Israel, which are of Israel (Rom. 9:6). To be a son of Abraham one must have faith. So, yes, I deny that the promise is how you're seeing it through your Scofield Spectacles. The Israel of God is all those of faith from Abel to the end of the world.

So yes, all Israel shall be saved.

As you understand it. Yes. As the Bible defines it, no.

No it isn't. And how did the jews get a monopoly on the term semetic? The Arabs descend from Shem as well. Mohammed was just as semetic as Caiaphas. (And they were both liars.)

Can I call you anti-semetic for supporting the ethnic cleansing of Gaza?

#57 Aaron, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is it anti-semitic to say that God's dealing with ethnic Israel has changed and His focus is now on the church, but maintain that God still has a future plan for Israel in redemptive history?

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Linda for that insight. I knew about rabbinical judaism. One of my questions about the future trib or millenial jews is are they going to be rabbinical, Mosaic, or Christian.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I do not call Covenant Theology heresy; it is not the same as Replacement Theology. Likewise with Reformed Theology.
    Replacement Theology is a whole different bag of apples.
    The Catholics believe in Covenant Theology too. Does their believe in Covenant Theology make you a Catholic because you believe in Covenant Theology? I hope not, because I believe that Catholic Theology is also heretical. Did you read the link I posted. It laid everything out fairly well. It is an anti-semitic heresy. It is not simply covenant theology.

Here is even a better link with more detailed information. I hope you look at it:
    http://www.therefinersfire.org/replacement_theology.htm
    Do you really believe in the above points.
    The above is all refuted in the link that I gave.

Do you not recognize even the land and the name "Israel" that was given them by the UN in 1948 as a nation. Replacement Theology doesn't even recognize this, just as Islam doesn't. IMO, those who believe this heresy may as well turn to Islam. It is that anti-semitic and heretical.