1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Report: Suicide to Kill More than Coronavirus

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, May 7, 2020.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is from an Australian report.

Report: Suicide Rise from Lockdowns to Kill More than Coronavirus in Australia

The rise in the suicide rate caused by lockdowns in Australia is predicted to exceed deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus by a factor of ten, the Australian reported Thursday.

Researchers from Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre forecast a 50 percent rise in the national suicide rate because of the economic and social impact of government responses to the virus, which would drive deaths to as much as ten times higher than those causes by the coronavirus itself.

Already this year global deaths by suicide are significantly higher than those attributed to the coronavirus. According to the respected Worldometers running tallies, there have already been 374,225 suicides since the start of 2020, whereas the Wuhan coronavirus has claimed 251,898 lives, Johns Hopkins University reveals.

If the Australian research holds up for other nations as well, the global suicide rate could end up far outpacing the death toll from COVID-19.​

As always, I hope these predictions prove wrong. If we've learned anything these past couple months, it's that scientists and researchers make lousy prophets.

But what concerns me, however, is, viruses have relatively short reigns of terror, while economic depressions do not. To add to this, our blue state leaders see a bad economy as their only hope in removing Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Recall when Trump said many people maybe more than those who die from covid - 19 would die from suicide and other reasons due to stresses, because of an extended shutdown and the media laughed it off?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Calminian

Site Supporter

And if you think the left is going to sit back and let this country open......

Yale Scientist: Reopening America ‘Awfully Close to Genocide’

I guess we can now argue this prof. is promoting a genocide of his own, wanting more minorities to commit suicide. What a shame the debate has devolved into this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deep breathing exercises help upload_2020-5-7_18-45-30.png upload_2020-5-7_18-45-30.jpeg

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is what it is:Geek

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am so sick of this lockdown. We're all going to get lice.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CMG, I can’t speak for your area, but they are dying by the hundreds here. If you open this and NYC then you’re guaranteeing FUBAR.

9. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  10. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fauci and Birx going to go down in Infamy when this disease is studied in a few years for how their convincing Trump to lock down in threats of millions of dead Americans was a fraud. There is always a recompence either now or in the future for those who were wrong who are really destroyers of what is good and our economic livelihood was good for the many as this is exposed.
    Coronavirus shutdown devastating for America's farmers, says National Farmers Union VP

Why farmers dump food and crops while grocery stores run dry and Americans struggle

I wonder if God cares that His churches are not allowed to meet together, because of the decisions that were made. Does God get angry over these things. All these things are written down in His books for the great White Throne Judgement.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the NYC area should be locked down until the day after the election.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No no... rather they should be released to burn and loot trump properties then vote captain chaos outa office. I’d also like to see a repopulation program to the south.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the suicides are from the lock down then they are COVID related and count towards COVID-19 deaths.

Just sayin

• Like Like x 1
  14. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then ther are thosew who have recovered and have suffered kidney damage and hae to go on dialasis, and those who have suffered brain damage and other comlications. That and the many deaths could happen to some of you if the virus is allowed to run free.

I don't have any sympathy for you moaners.

I do have sypathy for my grandaughetr who is in lockdown in Rennes, France. She was on a four month teaching assignment from her university in UK and due to some home in April.. Because she is having treatment for cancer she is ontotal lockdown in the apartment. and does not have see any one except a volunteer who collects her food once a week. As her job finished she was getting no pay and could not collect her groceries from Carrefour.Both my daughetr and myself sent her some money for food. but she had no one to collect it for her and then I remebered we had a friend in the other side of France who had a daughter who lived in Rennes, so I emailed her and asked if her daiughter could collect her groceries. As it happened the daughter now lived outside Rennes but she put Rachel in touch with one of the help groups which have been springing up here and, it seems, in France.
    Rachel said she had to do some studying and needed some bookf and an acompanying DVD and would any family member be able to help. I found one of the books on Amazon, France and I offered to get that for her. The others were abailable on Amaxon UK but they were not delivering to France. When we investigated we found the French Postal service closed down completely on March 21st, . I said to my daughter that if she bought the books, I would pay for a courier (Perhaps unwisely) My daughter got an express delivery and gave me the bill and it was about three time the cost of the items. Rachel has now got a grant via her university so she is Ok for now,

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Calminian

Site Supporter

That's because you have no skin in the game. You're not being asked to give up your livelihood, your house your family business. You're not a child locked up with a drug-dependent abusive father or mother.

And you're not a child. We know for certain economic depressions are much more dangerous to children than C10.

• Like Like x 2
  16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You advocate destruction and theft of other people's properties. Thou shall not steal.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course if they drink bleach!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not stealing.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one said that you were--you just advocated it.