1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Report: Suicide to Kill More than Coronavirus

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, May 7, 2020.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As trump would say, sarcasm.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you evoking God? Surly you could still meet albiet small groups and also still Tune in on Sunday for services.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd doubt that you would say such a thing about St. Barrack of Obama.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect... my name for him is and always has been”BO” as in stink

#24 Earth Wind and Fire, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Prediction:

The rise in the suicide rate caused by lockdowns in Australia is predicted to exceed deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus by a factor of ten, the Australian reported Thursday.

Researchers from Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre forecast a 50 percent rise in the national suicide rate because of the economic and social impact of government responses to the virus, which would drive deaths to as much as ten times higher than those causes by the coronavirus itself.

The Reality:

Japan suicides decline as Covid-19 lockdown causes shift in stress factors

The suicide rate in Japan fell by 20% in April compared with the same time last year, the biggest drop in five years, despite fears the coronavirus pandemic would cause increased stress and many prevention helplines were either not operating or short-staffed.

People spending more time at home with their families, fewer people were commuting to work and delays to the start of the school year are seen as factors in the fall.

In April, 1,455 people took their lives in Japan, 359 fewer than in April 2019.

6. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, this is so dishonest. The study was not about Japan, and the study was not about suicide during lockdown, but the long term effects of an economic depression.

The uptick in Australian suicides will be felt over a number of years, the Australian scholars suggest, and the coronavirus response could produce “a generational mental health crisis” resulting in an extra 1500 deaths each year over the next five years.​

Don't know how else to categorize this, but a lie. Why would you make something like this up?

It really is astounding how you keep mocking the effects of the lockdown. Do you really have this little empathy for what people are going though? Is it because you yourself aren't suffering significantly? I wonder how your tune would change if this were closer to home.

#26 Calminian, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, the study you cited was about Australia, not Japan.
    Your claim: The study was not about suicide during the lockdown.

Oh, really...

Here is a quote from your OP:

The rise in the suicide rate caused by lockdowns in Australia is predicted to exceed deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus by a factor of ten, the Australian reported Thursday.

Already this year global deaths by suicide are significantly higher than those attributed to the coronavirus. According to the respected Worldometers running tallies, there have already been 374,225 suicides since the start of 2020, whereas the Wuhan coronavirus has claimed 251,898 lives, Johns Hopkins University reveals.

"Rise in suicide rate caused by lockdowns" and "already this year" definitely IS about suicides during lockdown and it definitely IS NOT referring to the long term effects of an economic depression.

I didn't make it up. You are reverting back to your habit of calling people liars when your arguments fall flat.

Here is the source of the data:
    Japan suicides decline as Covid-19 lockdown causes shift in stress factors

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, but that's mentioned in passing. The quote you ignored.

The uptick in Australian suicides will be felt over a number of years, the Australian scholars suggest, and the coronavirus response could produce “a generational mental health crisis” resulting in an extra 1500 deaths each year over the next five years.​

Again, it's astounding how you dismiss the suffering from the lockdown, just because you personally are not affected.

And this a conditional prediction on the economy not recovering. I mean really, do you even believe what you're saying?

BTW, from what I understand Australia has responded and opened up quite a bit. They don't want any part of this.

#28 Calminian, May 18, 2020
  9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is that quote in your original OP? It's not in there. The study is behind a paywall and cannot be accessed.

You know that I'm not affected? How could you possibly know that?

I'm a small business owner. My sales are down 95% in March and April. They have gone from the mid five figures per month to only a couple of hundred dollars per month. Worse, my business cycle is such that March and April are my two biggest months for revenues and when the economy comes back in August and September my revenue cycle will be at its minimum.

So don't tell me I'm NOT SUFFERING from the lockdown.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

It's in the article. Read!

Because you mentioned it in a post a while back. Don't remember the details, just you mentioning it. I remembered, because I was in the same boat, doing pretty well. It's others I'm worried about.

Okay, my business is down also about 95% if not more. All businesses are down like this. But that doesn't mean I'm in danger. Not losing my house, my business, anything like this.

Others are in much more dire positions. They're about to loose everything permanently.

What a crock. Are you losing your house? Losing your business forever.

I distinctly remember you saying you're doing okay (though there's no way I can find the quote at this point).

Yes, I will say it, you're not suffering. Most of us are not, but a significant portion are. Prove to me you're losing your business/house, etc., I'll retract. In fact, you don't even have to prove it, just let me know what you're losing. Selling equipment, cars, etc. If you're one of the significant suffers with their backs against the wall, you'll get a heartfelt apology.

#30 Calminian, May 18, 2020
  11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Behind a paywall. My usual trick of opening these types of sites with browser in incognito mode did not work. I couldn't read the article.

OK, we have the same problem. It's tough to have revenues drop off the table. I'm glad to hear you are going to make it financially.

Thanks for the olive branch. Suffering is relative, and yes, there are people in worse situations than me. I'm not to the point of liquidating assets, so in that sense I'm not suffering.

Financially, I am doing OK personally. I have some money saved so I won't be losing my house. My wife's hours have been cut and she's working from home. I'm putting my youngest kid through college, which is not inexpensive. He's coming home Friday. My oldest son is furloughed and has moved back home.

My business? I've had it for 30 years and there is a chance it won't survive. If my #1 customer, which I've had since 1995, does not start ordering like they usually order, I will have to close my business. Then there will be real suffering.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

My original point stands.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you didn't read what I wrote:

My youngest son is coming home from college Friday. My oldest son is furloughed and has moved back home. :Biggrin

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

We need to be thinking and praying for those with nowhere to go. There is real suffering going on.

• Like Like x 1