1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Restaurant Owner Finds Dedicated Teen Walking 10 Snowy Miles for Job Interview

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Art Bouvier, the owner of a New Orleans-inspired restaurant located in Indianapolis saw a young man trudging through the early morning snow and ice last week. The teen stopped to ask Bouvier — who owns Papa Roux Po Boys and Cajun Food– how much further it might be to his final destination and was told it was six to seven miles......

...“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage,” Bouvier told Fox 59. “That’s the kind of story your parents used to tell, my parents used to tell, up both ways in the snow.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...or-job-interview-guess-where-hes-working-now/

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And with no government help, mind you!

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The kid loses his parents, drops out of school and gets his GED so he can go to work and take care of his siblings. Then is willing to walk in the snow and ice 10 miles in order to get a minimum wage job.

How many people would do their level best to get on public support and stay home thinking they have every excuse in the world if they were in his shoes?

Unlimited welfare promotes a poor work ethic and gives people an excuse to be a victim.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not one stitch

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You think he will be able to house and care for those siblings with minimum wage?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First he is not making minimum wage, in fact he is making double that. Second, a guy like him would never stay in a minimum wage job long because he has an incredible work ethic. He doesn't feel like someone owes him a job or a specific wage. And he is willing to do whatever it takes.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some reason, my wife was shedding tears as she told me this story at wake up time this morning. I wonder why ?

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the CNN report I saw, Mr. Bouvier gave the young man a job in his restaurant.

9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That small storm hit early last Thursday evening. There was a light snow of an inch or so followed by sleet and freezing rain. About everything closed down. It was very slick and you couldn't go above 35 on the highway. It wasn't much better early Friday morning but the streets were clear by Friday afternoon, as the temperature rose just above freezing. You have to admire the young man's determination.

That young man lives where I used to. There isn't much bus service from 42nd St. and Post Rd. (the Far Eastside, 42nd & Post was the murder capital of Indiana a few years ago) to 10th St. and Post Rd. I think that there was an Italian restaurant where the Cajun restaurant is now, but I am not sure which corner the restaurant is on as it has been a long time since I was through that intersection although I have been there a thousand times. Parts of 10th St. are very nice but there are no sidewalks except closer to downtown, 100 blocks away from the restaurant.

There might have been some jobs in the suburb of Lawrence at 56th and Post Rd. on the old Fort Benjamin Harrison where the U.S. Army still has their Finance Center. It is surrounded by small stores and restaurants and a beautiful urban State Park--Fort Harrison State Park.

A lady from Indygo Bus Service gave him a year's worth of monthly bus passes. Here is a video from another tv station:

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/support-pouring-in-after-mans-story-goes-viral

#9 church mouse guy, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No replacement for responsibility and hard work, he is to be commended.