1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Review of Martin Luther and Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by loDebar, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let’s try again.

FACT: Some people go to Hell.

Since “some people go to Hell”, then one of two things must be true. EITHER God allows some people to go to Hell, OR God is powerless to stop some people from going to Hell.

Are you following me so far?
    Is this a ‘false dichotomy’?
    What other choice is there besides the two presented?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm following. Yes, In my Biblical worldview, God allows people to reject Him (while giving them the ability to receive him).

3. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if that were true, it still answered the question.

Did God gain Glory through the stubborn opposition of Pharaoh and his ultimate destruction as a direct visible contrast to the salvation of the chosen through the Passover and the parting of the Red Sea? Then you have your answer to why God does not save all ... just like Romans 9 says.

4. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God allows some people to be damned.

Could God save all?
    Is it within his power to do so?
    We know that he has chosen not to, but surely God could have ... the blood of Christ was sufficient for the task was it not?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm agreeing with you here.

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm fine with that, God will get glory through even those who reject Him. But in the calvinist's framework, if they were to stay consistent (because God's grace is "irresistible") the only logical conclusion is that God saves everyone because no one can reject Him.

7. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd suggest it still doesn't work well for you in this parable for Lk14:21 says that the master of the house was angry or upset that the first ones didn't come. Why would he be upset if he didn't want them there? So if he wanted them there why no irresistible grace?

#127 Rockson, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well sovereignty is described by some as the supreme authority without any interference from outside sources or bodies, in other words God can do whatever he wants. Well who are you or I to say that God can't decide to use his omnipotence in such a way which complements all aspects of his character? Does he not have a right to do so?

Well look I'm sure we can both agree God can't make a square circle?

Physically created things aren't even alive and are not spiritual beings.

I think we're both in agreement that God wanted something. You would claim God didn't want them saved or they would be. I would claim God chose what was preferable. Having robotic family which wouldn't have liberty or freedom which without such there would be no joy or having a family who's love towards him would be absolutely genuine. It came at a high cost for he's not willing that any should perish 2 Pt 3:10 and finds no pleasure in the death of the wicked Ezek 33:11 but to have a LOVE family trumped all this potential for grief.

#128 Rockson, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists would say that it's pride that keeps us from believing what they assert to be true. Well, if that is the case, then pride can be the culprit for preventing a person from believing any other truth, even the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

10. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could God have saved all? Not without changing his character of LOVE. God doesn't force people into relationship with him with something like irresistible grace any more than a good person won't handcuff to them one they want as a spouse who of their own will wants somebody else. Some want darkness rather than light!

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the blood of Christ. The blood of Christ justifies only those to whom believe with their hearts unto righteousness. Rom 10:10

11. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny you should say this although I don't believe coincidences for just about 6 hours ago I wrote this on a different web site.

1Cor. 1:26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Cor 1:26 (ESV)

Now here's something Calvinists should consider. Obverse something here. Who are the ones to whom the call or God's choosing generally speaking is given? As a non-Calvinists we'd say to those who have chosen to receive. Calvinists say to the elect...for no reason....just because they're the elect. We see indication here such IS NOT TRUE.

Conditions....or status...what the sinner has done in this world themselves can effect... if they're chosen. Why? Because influential people and those who are noble tend to have what characteristic more that others? PRIDE.

As a general rule they tend not to see their need for spiritual things or that they're a self-made person. So what actions these people did are very much hinged on whether they'll be saved.

When one takes the wraps off PRIDE or not having PRIDE or not so much of it is the strong determining factor as to whether one is saved. People levels of resistance to God various from person to person on this issue.

Calvinists say that all men are totally depraved and there's no variation on how much anyone resists God. But the verse above, 1 Cor 1:26 says different. Doesn't it clearly reveal some people are more open to the gospel than others?

If not why then say not many of type A people will be saved and not many of type B, but more so of type C will be. Why should anything of worldly status matter if God does all through irresistible grace? I'd suggest this is a clue for Calvinists to follow which can cause some to set aside their belief of irresistible grace. It most certainly does not add up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does not see that saving all would be as glorifying to Him as saving ther remant some out though! You are presuming that he thinks and sees this as we do!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God choose to save the way that he does in order to do what was both most glorifying to himself, and what was the best thing to do for sinfull humanity!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The onlky ones who want Jesus to save them are the Ones God chose to save by Him!

15. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what's your point? Calvinists believe these only ones that want to be in relationship with God really didn't want that really. So if they really didn't want that REALLY than how can you not say they were forced against their will?

I have to be clear. I'm not saying a sinner can't go from not wanting God and from hearing the gospel now they want him and that is God doing that. But that's a far cry from saying he just makes a sinner want him through some irresistible grace of which he doesn't have a choice.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not force any of His own to get saved, for once he enables them to receive jesus thru faith, we will desire to have Him save us!

17. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In defending free will, I am defending God and His nature against fatalistic determinism which denigrates God's character.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been shown nothing of the kind. Man never loses the right to choose. This is taught all through the Bible. Your Calvinistic determinism is a johnny-come-lately theology.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you continually tell untruths regarding what other people believe?

And why do you continue to deny what the bible says?

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.

If Paul's will was NOT free prior to his salvation he told the truth. If his will WAS free prior to his salvation then he lied in the above verse.

If his will WAS free he did not need Jesus to set him free. He was already free.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite poets. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.