1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman Catholic cardinals elect a new pope

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by FR7 Baptist, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Not Drive-By.....

" With perpetual virgin, popes, infallible popes, tradition over scripture, transsubstantiation, purgatory, baptismal regeneration, baptism necessary for salvation, forced celibacy for "priests", and the list could go on."

What Thomas referred to was not "drive-by"....These are all issues that Bible- Believing Christians MUST disagree with the RCC on because not ONE THING on that list will stand up to the ONLY authority we can truly bow to...The Authority of God's Word.....ONLY. Nothing on that list would survive the honest interpretation of scripture. None of those practices or traditions are Scriptural. I don't wish anyone in the catholic church any ill will ( I sincerely and dearly want to see ALL of you be scripturally saved and baptized and go to heaven when you die) but there can be no true fellowship between those of us who believe the Word and yourselves. Not if we are to be in obedience to the One True and Living God.:tear:

Bro.Greg:saint:

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is completely unrelated to anything thus far: the Jesuits were the militant side of the Holy See during the inquisitions. Now check out the oath of the K of C.

How soon we forget.

Most people believe exactly what they want--regardless of the facts.

The papal throne is either usurped or not. If not, we should all be in the RCC.

Christ has no vicar. Jesus is the vicar through The Spirit, The Holy, who indwells New Testament Churches--the ones Jesus is building, Mt. 16.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs:

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess I just can't be angry at everyone who isn't a baptist all my life, I have several friends who are RCC priests and a number more who are members of parishes in the area. We love them and I find a rich faith in each.

Too often we disassociate with people over false information. If there is one thing I've learned about you, and some others around here, there is a lot of false information in your beliefs about other denominations and Christians.

One additional point, Roman Catholics are infinitely closer to Baptists than Mormons. At least we all agree on the fundamental things in the earliest creedal statements. You can't compare the two. If you think you can, it continues to show your ignorance on theological issues.

I can go on, but I'll pause to see what the response might be at this point. Francis I is am interesting choice, which I am delighted to see how he works out over the next several years. :)

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

So you agree the RCC was not established with St. Peter. Do you feel the Catholics strayed from true Christianity or began in error? Either way what is wrong with pointing out they are apostate? I have Catholics friends but I don't agree with their doctrines, should I overlook that or try to bring them to saving fiath (in love)?

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would Francis I be a true Pope or an anti-pope? Some say all popes since Vatican II are anti-popes. How does one make such a call?

The mystery of iniquity is already at work.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

8. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Well, I'm a bible believing christian and I don't agree with you either one of you. So... who's interpretation of scripture do you BOW down before. (It's a rhetorical question hence the punctuation.) There were many instances of bowing and kneeling in scripture my friend and they didn't take place before scripture or God either for that matter.

Hmmm.... And who is the final arbiter of the "...honest interpretation of scripture"? Perhaps it is only "honest" when it meshes with your particular flavor. Uh oh...

So YOU say.

I live in South Alabama and I can recognize horse hocky when I see it!
    WM

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matt mentioned 'I smell change'. Our new pope has selected the name Francis after St. Francis of Assisi. St. Francis, in addition to being a beloved figure among both Catholics and other Christians because of his legendary kindness, humility, and love, was called by God to “rebuild my church.” I think this is probably why the new Pope chose the name Francis, although Francis, like the new pope, lived a very simple life.

I was distressed to see on facebook that several of my FB friends are already condemning him because he is opposed to gay marriage. Nothing else seems to matter to some of these people. Well, I guess some other things matter to the lib-cats and lib-prots, women “priests” for one.

#29 Walter, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  10. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your new pope. Christians have Jesus and won't accept several layers of middle men.

11. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Seriously Sola, you need to chill on the dramatic statements. Perhaps nuance is something that you need to work through personally. Just because I defend my brothers and sisters in Christ, who are part of the Catholic Church, doesn't mean I walk lock step with them in theology and practice.

This is absolutely an unnecessary and ridiculous point to make. I've stated over and over how I believe the earliest churches were highly diverse in their ecclesiology and, while the RCC makes this claim, it is a misconception on their part.

There are aspects of Roman Catholicism that are at odds with aspects of biblical theology. I don't disagree on those issues. For instance the sacraments are not a biblical, theologically acceptable position. I disagree with my RCC friends on this issue.

Perhaps its how you disagree. Jesus didn't call us to be jerks. However, too often when critiquing others we can easily become and sound that way. This isn't a proper approach to Christianity.

For my friends, and others, who I encounter, I attempt to discern through doing life together, talking amicably, where their faith is centered. Often I've found that my RCC friends have just as biblical a faith as I do. This isn't a bad thing.

Ultimately, my approach to Roman Catholics is, perhaps, much like Paul's approach to the Jews in Rome. We should be thankful for the preservation of the Gospel and communication of the Bible which occurred in the Roman Catholic Church from AD 500 until about 1500. We should be thankful that through the many diverse ministries of the RCC, the faithful were edified, instructed, and given hope during this period. I'm thankful for the historic faith which the RCC perserved and communicated at the height of their powers. Granted, much corruption dominated the head of the Church and aspects of its ministry. Terrible things happened as a result. But it wasn't for all Catholics. Some of the greatest missionary advances happened during this time through ministries of the RCC. We shouldn't forget that.

12. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As if Catholics believe the pope can provide them with salvation. :rolleyes: Catholics ARE Christians and they believe: “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12) PERIOD. To suggest the Church teaches otherwise is a lie.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the Catholic church has many serious problems theologically. But I do not hold to the notion that they are all automatically lost.

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I've been really disappointed (not that I was anticipating a new day or anything) at the endless prattling of the media on the pointless ordination of women issue. That isn't going to, and shouldn't, change.

The immediate statements against him based on gay marriage have been terrible as well.

I think he's as optimistic a choice as we could see right now. :)

15. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BINGO! Thank you! I'm not offended when my Baptists brothers and sisters in the Lord disagree with me when they do so charitably. The 'jerk' posts are not necessary and certainly add nothing to the discussion.

I find it very interesting what Archbishop Gregory Venables, the Anglican primate of Argentina writes of Pope Frances: ''He is much more of a Christian, Christ centered and Spirit filled, than a mere churchman. He believes the Bible as it is written.

I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as Cardinal should have done. He is consistently humble and wise, outstandingly gifted yet a common man. He is no fool and speaks out very quietly yet clearly when necessary.'' He showed humility by first asking the audience at the Vatican to ask God's blessing upon him. I only wish he was about twenty years younger.

#35 Walter, Mar 13, 2013
  16. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Roman Catholic church reminds me of the Pharisees of Jesus time. VERY religious but if not born again when they die they will be in hell.

17. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

For all of you stating that I'm a jerk and make silly posts, can you please elaborate, for I feel I'm trying to stand up for fundamental Christianity. If I truly come across as a jerk, that is not my intention.

18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I guess heresy has no punch like it use too.

#38 Jedi Knight, Mar 13, 2013
  19. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I stand with you Sola! I believe some cannot separate emotion from unbiblical teaching and it results in hurt feelings etc. What does scripture say? Faithful are the wounds of a friend.

#39 Jedi Knight, Mar 13, 2013
  20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would remind

y'all; the Board is Baptist Board. So, do not be surprised if more than a few here take a position in opposition to the Roman Catholic Church, its doctrine, and its hierarchy. For many various, sundry, and good reasons, many here view its membership as lost sinners in need of true NT salvation. This however is not the forum to discuss either of the last two sentences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.