1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman Catholicism , cult or not?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by shannonL, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

This reflects the situation quite well. Even though there are some who say themselves are not RC, they are actually pro-Catholic and do not understand the problem with Catholic.

Not only DHK, many expressed their faith well and pointed out the problems with RC very well.

We should not hate the people, but must hate the evil which is against Words of God.
    We can see how cunningly the heretics try to survive everywhere and by any means, when they are found to be hopeless, having nothing to say in their defense.

Heb 1:9
    Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity ; therefore God, [even] thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Mat 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees .

The doctrines of Catholic is much worse than those of Pharisees or Sadducees.

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Are these too bigoted remarks against other religions:?

"Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way." Ps. 119:104

"Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
    For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
    Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church
    of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
    For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
    Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
    Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears." Acts 20:26-31

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." Gal. 1:6-8

Do you have the same charge to make to Paul who spoke under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? Guess what, the RCC has "another gospel" that is no gospel at all. And I would also guess that you don't have two parents in hell at the moment because of their false doctrine. I do.

Your love over truth argument will not stand at the Judgement Seat of Christ I can assure you.

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Amen! And those that claim to love them all the way to hell are not exhibiting love in any fashion.

"Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.
    When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked
    way
    , to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
    Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul." Ez. 3:17-19

I say become a watchman instead of trying to be poular with the world.

http://www.thebereancall.org/Newsletters/2006+Newsletters/131759.aspx

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

If you don't get it Jim then you need to read on and get it.

Many Christians here don't even know that Roman Catholicism is a false religion and that their Catholic friends need the Gospel. That's why.

And we need Christians today to have some degree of discernment in defending the one true faith once delivered to the saints.

5. standingfirminChrist

Amen, JackRUS!

To many christians nowadays are laying down the armor, putting the Word on the shelf and buddying up with the world. Their philosophy, if I just show them how friendly I am, I can win them over.

We are never to buddy up with the world. There is danger for the christian who buddies up with the world as Ezekiel 3:17 - 19 attest to.

Who is on the Lord's side? Stand bold. You are responsible for the Word that is placed in your hands and in your heart.

The Bible teaches us if we deny Christ before men, He will deny us before His Father. Matthew 10:33

Are we denying Christ just to have one more friend?

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Alexander,

Your right. He was stronger.

He told people that they were "of their father the devil" and that they were "white washed tombs filled with dead mens bones"

By telling them the truth.

Paul as well. After rebuking some who were in great error, he said "Have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?

Ever read Matthew Chapter 23?

By telling them the truth.

He went beyond that by telling those in grave error that they were "of your father the devil" and that they were "white washed tombs filled with dead mens bones"

Enough to tell them the truth.

And if you love someone you will tell them the truth if they are about to drive off of a cliff.

Would you consider it "loving" to not tell someone you love that they are about to drive off of a cliff?

"If you contuinue in my word you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." --Jesus Christ

We tell people the truth about Catholicism because we love them.

"Have I become your enemy for telling you the truth?" --Paul the apostle

You are not recognising the love for some reason.

Grace and peace,

Mike

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Jim1999,

Jesus spoke of the shepherd leaving the 99 to search for the one sheep who needed him.

If there were only one Catholic here it would be worth it.

God bless,

Mike

8. standingfirminChrist

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I never shared my understanding of James 2 but I commend your mind reading abilities to know that my understanding is wrong. ;)

Scripture definitely does not contradict itself. And anyone who dismisses the words of James 2 is ignoring scripture to defend their pre-understanding of doctrine.

I know I'll never change your mind about this issue since it is so definitional to your identity. But I post to reveal the mistruths in your posts and hope that others will be able to criticize Roman Catholicism with the truth of what they believe and not the many mistruths and misrepresentations found in your posts and others in this thread.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Show me where I have mistepresented the truth about the Catholic Church, but make sure you take one issue at a time so it can be properly and thoroughly discussed.
    Again, it is good to hear you affirm that the Scripture does not contradict itself. A quick exegesis of Ephesians 2:8,9 will demonstate that salvation is by faith and by faith alone. It can be by no other way.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

...And James 2 does not in the least bit contradict that truth from Ephesians 2:8-9.

Praise God \0/ for His wonderful scriptures...and for His matchless gift of justification through faith alone!

Mike

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

StandingFirminChrist,

OK, I give up.

What do you mean by...

"Pope wears Fish"?

Mike :confused: :D

13. standingfirminChrist

The hat on the pope's head is in shape of a fish.

also, the PWF is sort of a running joke. some of us have been posting phrases that use three words beginning with P,W, and F in that order.

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, great, another Catholic-bashing thread! :rolleyes: As if we don't have enough already.

What is the purpose of this and other threads exactly? There are precious few Catholics left on this board so if your idea is to proseletyse them and show them the great error of their ways, then you've come to the wrong place. If the purpose is to crow at how you've all got the Truth and are Proper Christians and to pity all those poor Catholics who are destined for Hell, then I have nothing to say to you other than keep on hypocriically patting yourselves on the back if that makes you feel better about life. If however you want to debate Catholic beliefs, then I'll do my best to participate as a non-Catholic, but I really don't want to see the salvation of others being judged in the way I've seen so far.

So, which is it, people?

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your question is answered at the top of this page by Eliyahu.

16. Alexander

Alexander New Member

JackRUS,

I'm truly sorry that you believe your parents are lost because they died as Catholics. I would only add that God is merciful and loving, and neither you nor I nor anyone else on earth has any knowledge of the condition of their souls at the moment of their death.

Alexander

17. Alexander

Alexander New Member

When Jesus spoke to the people about the Pharisees, he did not speak against their teaching (which for some obscure reason that I don't understand some of you are equating with Catholicism - not sure how you made THAT huge leap) - but he did warn against their behavior. The problem was not that their teaching was false but that they didn't follow it themselves. In fact, Jesus told the people to follow the Pharisee's teaching because they lawfully sat in the seat of Moses BUT he did tell them not to do as they did - since they ignored the weightier matters of the Law.

I have to say that one of the symptons I see on this board from some of the posters is a spirit similar to that of the Pharisees. By that I mean that there are some who would demand adherence to the most minute jot and tittle of doctrine but who overlook the law of love and compassion.

That is sad, because it gives the non-Christian world a distorted view of what the faith is all about. You see, I would say that the Christian faith is a love affair between a Father and His children. A love affair where an infinitely loving Father stands at the door of his heavenly mansion, preparing a feast for his wayward sons and daughters, and running to meet them before they are even in sight. A heavenly shepherd scouring the hillsides for that one lost sheep and rejoicing greatly to find it and bring it home on his shoulders. My faith is not about getting all the doctrines right and I'm so grateful that it's not. Why? Because God is so infinitely greater than I can ever know, and I am so limited in my capacity as a human to understand Someone like Him. But a child holding up his hands to his father, asking him to take him and hold him and reveling in his love - - - - I can understand that!

Before any of you pounce on me about how important doctrine and dogma and 'right belief' are: STOP. I don't deny that. But it can't be the place where I start in my life with God. Our Lord didn't teach that the way to him was through studying theology and getting all the right dogmatic/doctrinal assertions completely right. He taught us that the way to him was the way of a child coming to his Father. And I guess I think that as long as we use that as the place we always return to, then we won't go far wrong.

And that is a place of love. Always of love.

Not of railing against people we don't like (for WHATEVER reason) or of railing against people who don't like us (for WHATEVER reason) or witch-hunting for heresy.

Always a place of love. A heavenly Father giving up all he has so we can come home to him.

Alexander

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Alexander,

I asked you a question in a recent post to you...which you have ignored.

It was part of a fairly long post, and maybe you missed it, so I'll ask you this question again.

I am really asking you this, and I would like you to answer it.

Here it is...

Would you consider it "loving" to not tell someone you love that they are about to drive off of a cliff?

Thanks,

Mike

19. Alexander

Alexander New Member

D28guy (Mike),

There are many ways of spreading the Good News.

St. Francis (I think, but I may have the attribution wrong) said to preach the Gospel always - - and to even use words, if you have to.

The Good News is NOT about fire insurance. It is about the love of an infinitely gracious, kind, compassionate Father who desires to have His children with Him always. I question tactics that frighten people into the Kingdom with fear or make salvation dependent on intellectual/mental assent to correct doctrine. God desires us because he LOVES us, not because we believe all the right doctrine and can enter into a dialogue with him about the doctrince of the hypostatic union embodied in the Chalcedonian creed.

Which is not to say that doctrine and dogma are unimportant. They are. But that's another discussion.

Alexander

20. nate

nate New Member

I know in Eastern Orthodoxy that Jesus on the Cross is a reminder of the suffering Christ suffered on the cross. I really think a lot of Baptist read to much into things.
    Here is an excerpt from an Eastern Orthodox website.