1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Safari for Windows

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Magnetic Poles, Jun 11, 2007.

1. labaptist

labaptist Member
    Site Supporter

I tried it, I wasn't too impressed. Will stay with Firefox for now.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, that is the proper way to report bugs......bummer is there is a bug in the bug reporting mechanism!

I haven't experienced any of your problems though.
    Things have worked in the beta that never worked in previous version for me, such as certian web applications like google docs.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have problems every time I update quicktime. It generally won't uninstall by its own program or the windows add/remove program. I have to use a windows utility to remove it from the uninstall list, then it uninstalls and goes in okay.

Something about my machine that hicups with it for some reason.

As to experience with Mac only enough to know I don't want one for a primary unit till I have one to play with awhile. Have toyed with older ones and am not impressed, and I know the newer ones are perfect so don't expound :laugh:

I emailed them - will post their fix if they come up with something.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because you've seen it that way. It's a very common error. :D

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently it is related to the quantity of fonts you have installed on your system. I have hundreds of fonts on my Windows system (I do desktop publishing), and there is a conflict with some of them including Lucinda Grande.

Here's one person's fix: http://grupenet.com/2007/06/12/fix-font-issue-in-safari-for-windows/

I haven't tried it yet because I have some serious deadlines I'm trying to meet, but a number of people have had good success.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to disagree. I think Safari is actually a very good browser. And more Mac users use it than the columnist indicates. On another Web site on which I am involved, the Web master recently released statistics that showed that 19% of his user traffic was with Safari for Mac OS X. And about 21% of his Web traffic was from Mac OS X users. So almost all of his Mac users are using Safari at least most of the time.

Safari renders pages much faster than the competition, and has a clean and orderly interface. I will occasionally run FireFox when I'm faced with a poorly-written Web site that doesn't follow standards, but that happens only once or twice a month.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am writing this in Safari for windows on XP with SP2. Doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, I didn't even seem to notice before but there is a great new feature in Safari 3 and that is that you can make text boxes larger, like the ones for the quick reply on BB.
    That is a great feature.

9. mnw

mnw New Member

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apple updates Safari for Windows

Apple has released Safari Beta 3.0.1 for Windows, an update to their recently-introduced Web browser for Windows XP and Vista...

The public release of Safari 3 is a beta version — Apple has released it for trial purposes, with the intent of gathering feedback prior to its release. More details are available from the Web site.

The security improvements in Safari Beta 3.0.1 include correction for a “command injection vulnerability,” corrected with additional processing and validation of URLs that could otherwise lead to an unexpected termination of the browser; an out-of-bounds memory read issue; and a race condition that can allow cross-site scripting using a JavaSscript exploit.

Apple notes that these security issues to do not affect the Macintosh version of Safari 3.

Download page for Safari for Windows

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Remember that it is still beta.
    Once all the bugs are worked out, I think we will have a nice browser, already is actually.

12. mnw

mnw New Member

But it offers me nothing that IE7 or Firefox do not already offer. I think the pundits have it right, Safari is no big deal in and of itself, it is just broadening its base of users prepping for the iphone etc

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try speed, simplicity, and full adherence to Web standards. Of course, not everyone wants that. So feel free to continue with whatever works for you.

14. mnw

mnw New Member

Speed? Okay, so a page loads in .00005 seconds with IE and .00003 with Safari (or whatever the figures may be.)

Apart from Applephiles, do you think any one is going to notice the difference?

Simplicity? Well, I guess simple things and simple minds etc... :)

I just surfed with Safari again for a while and it just offers me nothing. It is not noticably quicker and it's simplicity makes no odds to me. My IE7 is set up exactly the way I want it.

Nice try, Apple, but you didn't get me!

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, the problem with web standards is that those of use who actually write in compliance of web standards still have to deal with EXPLORER! (and we always will I think). They have such a foothold. I get so tired of having to write hacks - or worse having to go look for help because I can't figure one out - to make my perfectly validated coding work on IE!

Of course foxfire has issues at times too. IE7 is better. It works more often than the previous versions.

If Safari will work out the kinks and can gain a large enough market share, perhaps IE will clean up it's act. Right now they don't care.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

As far as speed, probably not.
    But once you get used to it, it is actually a browser for power users.

It has awesome and useful features.

Just check out the demo on the apple page or the review from Macworld.com

Not everyone will prefer it but a 3rd major browser will be great.
    Also, if we are able to get 3 or more browsers with more than 15% market share it will split up the hackers to the point where we will all be safer online.

So, I say go Safari, Go Firefox and Go Opera, blow IE back into 1996! :)

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

If Safari and Firefox can combine for a total of 30% that will be huge.

As a Mac user I will benefit from the greater support for Safari. Currently I use Safari for over 95% of all browsing but there is still the occasional web app that requires Firefox.
    At least one, Google spreadsheets does work with 3.0

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am installing the Mac version now. Perhaps it will make me switch back to using Safari instead of Camino.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Camino is a nice browser too. ACtually my main reason for camino was for things that didn't work in Safari. THe problem was that a couple of things still didn't work in Camino so I just use Safari 95% and Firefox 5% or so rather that splitting it up to Camino 4% of the time and Firfox 1.

My in-laws use Camino though on my recommendation because they use Panther and can't run the latest Safari.