1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Same Holy Spirit, Great Divide

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, May 9, 2013.

1. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I think that when we get to heaven and see God and Jesus, that it will be like waking is to dreaming.

I don't think we can know for sure which denomination comes closest to the scriptural model of a NT church. Every denomination thinks it does. The older I get, the more I come to see that the most important thing is to try to follow what Jesus taught and practiced, summed up in loving God with all our being and our neighbor as ourselves. It might be impossible to do here, but we should strive for it.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I don't agree with that. I think it is due to people's backgrounds and how they understand God and how He works. Baptists are supposed to champion everyone being able to read the Bible and come to his/her own conclusions, and then when people do that, we have a problem with it!

3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I think God would rather see 100,000 denominations than only one with controlling authority.

One "gift" that the Holy Spirit does not give is for everybody to think alike and just one way.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Post....even better question!

I agree....we have all been infilled with the SAME Holy Ghost, yet there are folks going after each other as if their opinions hold the essense of all heavens truths.

Galatians 5:16-26 is a clear directive that shows the difference between those not under or filled with the Spirit, versus those who are. I makes you wonder on which side of the fence some hear on the board are realy standing on. Even more interesting is that it seems that there are even a few folks who are stradling this fence.

Paul tells us, "I say this to you: Let the Holy Spirit lead you in each step. Then you will not please your sinful old selves. The things our old selves want to do are against what the Holy Spirit wants. The Holy Spirit does not agree with what our sinful old selves want. These two are against each other. So you cannot do what you want to do. If you let the Holy Spirit lead you, the Law no longer has power over you. The things your sinful old self wants to do are: sex sins, sinful desires, wild living, worshiping false gods, witchcraft, hating, fighting, being jealous, being angry, arguing, dividing into little groups and thinking the other groups are wrong, false teaching, wanting something someone else has, killing other people, using strong drink, wild parties, and all things like these. I told you before and I am telling you again that those who do these things will have no place in the holy nation of God.

But the fruit that comes from having the Holy Spirit in our lives is: love, joy, peace, not giving up, being kind, being good, having faith, being gentle, and being the boss over our own desires. The Law is not against these things. Those of us who belong to Christ have nailed our sinful old selves on His cross. Our sinful desires are now dead.

If the Holy Spirit is living in us, let us be led by Him in all things. Let us not become proud in ways in which we should not. We must not make hard feelings among ourselves as Christians or make anyone jealous."

We cannot debate in a manner that is filled with angry suppositions, caustic put downs, insults, cussing and words insinuating that YOUR way is the only way. In other words, when debating with another believer, it is not your responsibility to convert them to your way of thinking; because who says you have cornered the wisdom of God? However, to make you point(s) and leave it at that. To do anything more is wrong, if I am reading Paul correctly, because debating can turn into in-fighting, division, and eventually ignoring or going after the other person with the zeal and fury of a man or woman possessed, and that surely isn't what God would want to go on down here.

We need to move out of the camps of which man's theology is the best. As for me, there are things I loved about Calvin, especially the "Once saved, always saved" teaching. There are also some things that I love when it comes to the AOG, Luther, Billy Graham, etc. I think it does a man or woman well to be well rounded in their thinking when it comes to theology. Nothing good can be said for those who are in lockstep with one particular ideology or camp. Doing this leaves a person as coming across closed minded with the ability to rummage about in the land of narrow thinkers.

The true believer [with the presence of the Holy Ghost within them] will not set out to cause division of separation in the body.

As for the people on this board, who have verying opinions, that is okay. In fact, we are made to agree to disagee. Not osterize another for being different.

Remember, the body is made up of many different functional parts. We can't all be an eye, ear, tongue, nose, foot, arm, hand, organ, the skin, one of many different bones. God made us all unique in many ways, and expects us to come together and learn to work together. Personally, it appears to me that some are more upset over the body part God made them and they are trying to be something more than what He called you to be. For instance. I see fingernails, scraping, clawing and sratching their way to places on the body that a fingernail does not belong. Why can't we all just be happy with where we were palced, and then work to make this body work as God called it to work.

Fighting, and put down type of discourse is not an example of the Holy Spirit He gave us when He left.

Come on people, get a grip; and move into the place in the body where God has sent you to be, and work with each other to make this body function and glorify Him...NOT YOURSELF..:type:

#24 righteousdude2, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

Especially when what they have read and discovered crosses our line of thinking. We can't take someone being a free thinker and then arriving at conclusions that are beyond what we let them be free to become or believe. Maybe the church should quit sponsoring Bible studies and encouraging folks to grow. They may just grow right out of the mold you had them standing in! :laugh:

We are so controlling. Is that not Catholicism at its best? :smilewinkgrin:

6. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many of the more caustic debates are not ones of Bible doctrine. For instance....While I tend to agree that Calvin was a monster (or became one really)....That is a question for history, not Bible doctrine. I don't know that the Holy Spirit is there to help us learn how to study History or Math etc...

Similarly, there is very little about the KJVO debate that is doctrinal either. The only signifigant difference doctrinally is what is meant by God's promise to preserve his Word. Both sides accept that as "True" in some sense or another; Outside of that....it's an issue of textual criticism etc. So also the "John Calvin was a meany-head" debate. It's one for history, not doctrine. Does the H.S. concern himself with teaching us those isssues?

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that the basic problem at times are that we just want to be right at all costs, pride, and that we also think that somehow we have exclusive and only truths in areas that God has left open to differeing valid views and interpretations!

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many take their church statements of belief as being THE answer to doctrines, and they also have bad reading into the bible to support those held truths, regardless if the bible actually supports them!