SBC Leaders Dancing to Sweet Home Alabama at SBC, June '19

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by GoodTidings, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as they weren't shouting "Roll TIde Roll" in the chorus, I don't have a problem with the song, in itself. I just wish they'd shown a little more dignity. It's fine for Christians, even church leaders, to have fun, but I think, given the occasion, they might have conducted themselves a little more formally.

2. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hank Williams, Bill Monroe, Alan Jackson, Ralph Stanley/Stanley Brothers and sometimes I (attempt to) flatfoot (dance for y'all folks up north) if it's a good 'banjer' tune, next to my chickens on a piece of 1/2in plywood I keep around.

I dont see anything evil in that particular Lynyrd Skynyrd song. I know some of their other songs are ones not to listen to though.

My pastor once said we oughtn't know the words to Alan Jackson's "Loves got a hold on you", but I do haha.

3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    War Eagle!

4. Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    War Eagle!

5. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So??????????
    Was this evil ???????????????

6. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the lyrics to the song they were dancing to and singing. The subject of the song is going out dancing and finding someone for a one night stand that might possibly turn into a long term relationship. Personally, I don't want my pastor to endorse that sort of a song.

8. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, my "relationship" with my wife of 45 years started with a one-nite date, but it progressed from there, as I was smitten. (and still am!)

But to each his/her own! if your conscience doesn't think rock music is appropriate in your Christian walk, so be it. I believe otherwise, and so be it. Doesn't mean you or I either one is wrong, same as Paul points out in Col. 2;16.

9. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's a "one night date"?

The song is about a woman on the prowl for sex with a stranger that might possibly lead to a long term relationship.

I didn't say rock music was inappropriate. I didn't say a thing about rock music as a genre. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said the president of the SBC dancing to and mouthing the words to a carnal song about one night stands is wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never understood why people enjoy watching others do humiliating things.