1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC leaders respond to DOJ investigation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have one. It is voluntary. Church pays into it. I believe Cornerstone is the current administrator for SBC retirement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, yes. It is a 3rd party that works with many churches.

I thought you meant an actual retirement from the SBC (the SBC does not pay into it, but the churches can).

GuideStone is a popular choice for churches around here.

That said, the SBC can't take their retirement because that would be theft. Has nothing at all to do with the SBC.

If Mt. JonC Baptist church withdrawals from the SBC and pastor Reynolds remains with his retirement fund things keep going on as normal. The SBC didn't pay a dime. Mt. JonC Baptist church and pastor Reynolds made contributions.

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I am not mistaken, SBC sets the guidelines for eligibility.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's up to the churches. The individual pastor chooses his retirement plan (if any). My last pastor just had his own IRA. He explained the retirement as almost being self-employed. We got on the topic as I was retired military and he had served in the Air Force.

A friend (he oasswd away a few years ago) was a retired Navy Chaplin. He did not get any retirement from his time as a pastor. Said he didn't need it with the military retirement, so he never looked around.

Not sure how our current one plans for retirement.

The NC SBC recommends GuideStone for churches who want to offer a type of retirement (a friend who pastored a church in TN came from a NC church).

Anyway, from what I understand there are companies that cater to church ministers for retirement and medical insurance. Don't know the details, but it is not provided by the SBC.

I wonder how seminaries work on this issue.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC Retirement system is Guidestone.
    My church pays x amount of dollars in each month (tax free)
    Taxes will be paid when I withdraw.
    In addition the State convention puts in a little bit once each year.

Remember what I previously posted!!!

Now, this thread is about the DOJ and the SBC
    Lets get back to the OP

Rev Mitchell in post 1:
    " an investigation into the SBC that will include “multiple SBC entities,”
    Apparently nothing was said about local churches.

So - any future post on this thread about the retirement system of Guidestone for SBC churches and entities - WILL BE DELETED!

But feel free to start a new thread about Guidestone!

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Jay gets accused by a young man of molestation. It is reported to local L.E. they investigate. They take their typical year. They send it to D.A. He determines there is not grounds to prosecute. There will never be a formal exoneration of pastor Jay. It's not like the c.J. system usually declares someone Innocent. (That does happen on extremely rare occasion, to do it, the D.A. would have to charge the person of the crime and then dismiss the charge "with prejudice". That is a 1 in a million occurrence)
    What you gonna do with pastor Jay who was falsely accused?
    Keep his name and picture on SBC wall of shame for 2 years? Three years? Forever? Doing that to a falsely accused person is sinful and shameful!

Still waiting @JonC

• Like Like x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My concern is that some want them black listed anyway. Others are indifferent if they are or not do long as they get centralized power

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does any of this have to do with the SBC. This is just the ramblings of the German progressive Jews during a time they were attempting to adapt to what they considered to be a modern society (devoid of tradition, rituals,

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you still waiting on me? I gave you my answer. The church needs to know about pastor Jay because, as you point out, inconsistently, the pastor will never be fully exonerated.

But dismissed "with prejudice" means it can't be revisited by the court. Dismissed "without predjudice" means the DA can still prosecute if further details warrant such.

If you have a molestation charge that was dismissed with prejudice (prejudice is towards the prosecution) then you can join the military, hold a security clearance, etc. But if it was dismissed without prejudice it is considered open by security agencies.

Either way, the church needs to know this information. Things that happen to us in life follows us through life, regardless of fairness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K.

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A church needs to know about false accusations? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
    An accuser bears false witness against a pastor, and you want to continue to cause that false witness to follow him? Sounds real Christian JonC.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they need to know because (as you pointed out) that the guy will always carry a bad reputation. You also indicated the man would never be completely exonerated, that the guy could be a molester but the DA didn't have enough to win (or think he could win) the case.

Your idea that the government decides guilt or innocence is wrong. A guilty man can go free while an innocent man can go to jail. You deny this, but history proves you wrong.

The government tells you OJ had nothing to do with his wife's death, therefore OJ is innocent. But what of OJ really was involved?

After all, the only thing Al Capone was "guilty" of was cheating on his taxes.

What should happen is the pastor should talk to the church about the issue. That is the Christian thing to do.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Is it Innocent until proven guilty

OR

Presumed innocent until proven guilty?

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the govt said O.J. was directly responsible for her death.
    Hopefully you get wrongfully accused one day. Hopefully the SBC presently places you on their wall of shame for something you didn't do.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds real Christian of you, @Reynolds. I would not want anybody to be wrongfully accused.

The issue is you have no problem with cases like this:

Seven Years of Sex Abuse: How Mormon Officials Let it Happen

Unless they have been convicted you have no problem with keeping allegations of abuse secret.

We can replace "How Mormon officials let it happen" with "How Reynolds would let it happen" and be spot on. Reynolds would be waiting to see what the government has to say, and that would be simply based on whether the DA thought he could win a case.

And OJ was acquitted of committing the crime of murder. Civil issues are not criminal.

BTW, for sensitive purposes "dismissed without predjudice" is considered "open charge".

Should a pastor have to let a prospective church know if he has an open charge for sexual crimes?

You say "no", let the accused child molester work with children until he is found guilty. I question your discernment.

(An expunged record that cannot be recovered counts as "guilty", btw....just some advise if you ate wrongfully charged and then it is dismissed with prejudice).

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the question really is whether or not laws requiring the reporting of sexual crimes should be enforced. Some say "no, there should be no system in place except post-conviction". Others say "yes, we need to protect children".

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In America the accused are innocent unless proven guilty. Until proven guilty and or unless proven guilty they should be treated as innocent. Its unAmerican and unChristian to have people who have only been accused on a list. Its easy to add statements such as “yes, we need to protect the children” but its also a cheap appeal to emotion all the while ignoring innocent people who ate falsely accused painted with a Scarlett letter.

cheap and easy because the ones with the paint can dont have to live with the consequences of their false accusations.

As far as protecting children or women there are other more effective measures which can and should be put in place prior to abuse happening and that is where all efforts should be put in place.

The resolution to this is not the false dilemma of creating lists of false accusations or fail to protect the children. Such assertions are sophomoric at best but more likely obtuse and highly irresponsible.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a difficult line.

What about the girl (in the prior article) who reported abuse but the gut was not convicted until 7 more years of being raped?

The guy killed himself when caught, but one girl could have been soared abuse and the other 7 years of rape after the initial case.

And that was far from an isolated incident.

I do not believe people should be guilty without evidence. But at the same time I do not believe allegations of sexual abuse should be ignored until the person is found guilty by the government.

That was the mentality of the Mormons and the RCC.

That said, go find an accused child molester awaiting trial and leave your grandkids in his care if you want. Personally, I think it irresponsible.

Too many criminals have been found innocent and too many innocent people have been found guilty.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My post stands

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to kids - I will err on the side of safety.

• Agree Agree x 1