Seeking God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God could have made the moon of green cheese but did he. It is not a matter of what He could have done it is a matter of what He did. God has chosen to save those that trust in His son.
    Funny how you will ignore context when it does not fit your theology.

2. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not answering the three questions. Let me try again.

God chose to save you without your approval? Is that accurate?

God chose who will be saved, at anytime, say even before the foundation of the world? Is that accurate?

When God tells you that you were predestined, chosen, and elect unto salvation, He didn't need your approval. Is that accurate?

I await your answer. It's just 3 questions take one at a time and tell me if they are accurate or inaccurate.

3. MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists continually and severely confuse themselves, unable to receive the simple Gospel, because their “intellect” just can’t accept something so simple, yet so amazing.

Acts 16:31.

4. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did answer your questions you just do not like the answer. See post# 58

5. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read #58.Ypu don't answer the 3 questions. Instead, you avoid it.
    #58 was a question I bring to Van and you still don't answer that question. You still don't speak to who caused you to believe.

So, who caused you to believe, Sliverhair? Was it your human will that caused you to believe or was it God who caused you to believe?

6. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question says a lot about your mind set. Now for you deterministic types who need God to control every thought and action I can see where you would require God to cause you to believe. The fact that the bible does not support your view really does not matter to you.

verb (used with object), be·lieved, be·liev·ing.
    to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.
    to have confidence in the assertions of (a person).
    to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation
    to suppose or assume; understand (usually followed by a noun clause)

As I said before God is actively working in and through His creation, our conscience, His bride, His Holy Spirit filled followers, and His Word to aid humanity in their conversion. But you do not believe this because you can not or rather will not look beyond your Calvinism.

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not answer the question.

Who caused you to believe, Sliverhair? Was it your human will that caused you to believe or was it God who caused you to believe?

9. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This just shows that total lack of logic in Calvinism. You want people saved before they even believe, strange idea.
    To be born, or born again, is to be regenerated and renewed; to receive spiritual life. Webster

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

How is one to enter the Kingdom of God before they believe. Calvinism has it backwards. You are trusting the man-made philosophy that Augustine brought into the church rather than trust the bible, the word of God.

10. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep asking the same question and you just do not like the answer. Do you think if you ask it fifty times that somehow the answer will change?

11. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who caused you to believe, Sliverhair?

Was it your human will that caused you to believe or was it God who caused you to believe?

You have never answered the question. You seem afraid of answering who caused you to believe.

Therefore, based on you evasion and all your other responses, I think you believe that you, yourself, by your own willpower, caused yourself to believe.

Am I wrong?

12. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has nothing to do with what I want or don't want. It has everything to do with what God explicitly tells us.

*Ephesians 2:4-5*
    But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

I cannot rewrite the Bible to make your view true, Sliverhair.

13. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same question, same answer. Do you have a comprehension problem or are you hoping for a different answer?

14. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been telling you this for a long time now, I cannot rewrite the Bible to make your view true. The foundation of your theology is bad so the fruit of your theology will be bad. Just because you do not want to accept that fact does not alter the reality. Augustine brought pagan philosophy into the church, Calvin carried it forward, and Calvinism is the result.

I agree by grace we have been saved but what you fail to understand is that God saves those that trust in His son. Calvinism wants God to save people before they even believe and that is not biblical. So you hold to your Calvinism and I will hold to the bible.

Rom 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    Rom 5:2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,...

Salvation is the gift of God that we can receive through faith in His son. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp?

15. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are still ignoring the text. I even colored it for you so you can follow Paul's thoughts.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

Who causes a man to believe? Is it God or is it man?

16. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a auto responder to my posts?

17. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have an answer to the question?

Who causes a man to believe? Is it God or is it man?

18. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times now Austin? What's that old expression " only a fool keeps asking the same question over and over expecting a different result" Are you a fool Austin?

19. MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the warning about Lloyd-Jones.

20. DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have a problem with Lloyd-Jones spell it out and we can talk about it. Otherwise it just looks like you're trampling pearls.