1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seriously, why the KJV?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Sep 14, 2022.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Water baptism is a work. A gift cannot be merited. Trusting in works is to not actually trust Christ, as for example Matthew 7:22. Faith is not a work per Romans 4:5. Nowhere in the word of God is baptism a requirement in order to be saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    H. P. Barker has so ably pointed out in The Vicar of Christ, there are four communities of believers in the Book of Acts, and the order of events in connection with the reception of the Holy Spirit is different in each case.

Here in Acts of the Apostles 2:37-41 we read about Jewish Christians. For them, the order was:
    1. Faith.
    2. Repentance.
    3. Water baptism.
    4. Reception of the Holy Spirit.

The conversion of Samaritans is recorded in Acts of the Apostles 8:14-17. There we read that the following events occurred:
    1. They believed.
    2. The apostles prayed for them.
    3. They were baptized in water.
    4. The apostles laid their hands on them.
    5. They received the Holy Spirit.

In Acts of the Apostles 10:44-48 the conversion of Gentiles is in view. Notice the order here:
    1. Faith.
    2. Reception of the Holy Spirit.
    3. Water baptism.

A final community of believers is made up of disciples of John the Baptist,
    Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7
    1. They believed.
    2. They had been baptized by John the Baptist
    3. They were baptized in the name of Jesus
    4. The Apostle Paul laid his hands on them.
    5. They received the Holy Spirit.

Does this mean there were four ways of salvation in the Book of Acts? Of course not. Salvation was, is, and always will be on the basis of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not understand God's word on this matter.
    He was given three distinct instructions.
    1) Arise.
    2) Be baptized.
    3) Wash away his sins calling the name of the Lord.

BELIEVE THE WORDS, to quote you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About Baptism:

Very simple question - are you saying you must be baptized to be saved
    ie - baptism completes your salvation?
    simple yes or no will do

5. Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry my friend.

the rules of Language can not be twisted and changed to suit ones belief.

Peter did not tell anyone to be baptized in water in order to receive the gift of the spirit and remission of sin. he would be contradicting Christ and preaching a different gospel.

scripture must be united.. Not of works lest anyone should boast should be adhered too. Peter did not contradict paul either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eternally Grateful

Faith:
    Baptist
    its sad. Satan has deceived the NT people of the same lie he deceived the Jews with. Only for the jew it was circumcision. for the church is is baptism

Both a work of men..

7. Eternally Grateful

Faith:
    Baptist
    then we are saved by works
    Not by Gods mercy
    through the washing of regeneration of man. not the Holy Spirit

Replacing the work of God in baptizing us into Christ with the work of man baptizing us in water is blasphemy of the holy spirit.. because like they attributed the work of the HS to satan, You are attributing the work of the HS to man.

8. Eternally Grateful

Faith:
    Baptist
    All EG did was look up the actual words themselves..

Once again, repent is 2nd person plural. Be baptized is third person singular.

Look up the laws of language, in any language they are not together.

again, it would literally say all of you repent (second person plural), and let him, her it (3rd person singular) be baptized......

9. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the washing away of his sins is the reason given for the baptism in water, after meeting the Lord Jesus on the Damascus Road and being converted. The condition for receiving the Holy Ghost for the Jews in the apostolic age did not change with the conversion of Paul, it is confirmed.

Here is something you do not know and will deny just as most of you fellows have denied the truths of the scriptures contained in the words so far. The Spirit of Christ is his righteousness. He is God. He indwelt the body of Jesus Christ from his conception until he went to the cross. He is omnipresent and can be in one place or in all places at one time as he chooses. He was in one place during the ministry of Jesus Christ on the earth. He was in the body of Christ in his fullness. I am not guessing about that. I have it straight from God. Look here;

John 3:31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
    32 And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
    33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
    34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
    35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
    36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Verse 34 above says the Spirit was in Jesus Christ without measure at all times during his ministry until the cross. The Spirit is Life, the scriptures say, and John says this about that:

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Jesus Christ poured out his Spirit on the cross and died and the result was the Spirit was no longer in his body and he was separated from God the Father and from God the Spirit. Separation is what death is. Then, after that, his soul was separated from his body and this is physical death. The proof of this is they put his dead body in the tomb where it was for three days. If the Spirit remained in his body it would not have been dead. The Spirit is the life of God. But the Spirit is a quickening Spirit. See here;

1 Peter3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    1 Corinthians 15:45
    And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

His flesh is quickened, made alive again, by his Spirit. His soul and Spirit are joined in his body, which is glorified. He is a trinity. He can now occupy heavenly dimensions as a physical man. The Spirit is the manifestation of Jesus Christ in a body of a believer.

But why bring this up in the context of Israel collectively and her baptism in the New Testament? Because all Israel is gathered together as commanded by the law for her second festival and fourth annual feast day. These seven feasts of Israel are prophetic. This feast day comes after 7 sabbaths from the feast of firstfruits, which in type of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The feast day is on the fiftieth day, or the day after the 7th sabbath or 49 days. It is referred to also as the eighth day.The number 8 is God's number for new beginnings and this is the institution of the New Covenant, or the New Testament, and it is God's intention that Israel become a new man collectively in Christ Jesus.He called for every one of them to repent and be baptized and receive his Spirit in whom they were now immersed. Alas, it was not to be because only a relative few obeyed.

Now, water is the symbol of the Holy Spirit. Nothing on earth can live without water. Water is also a cleansing agent. Water comes out of the sky. It is so plentiful on earth that everyone can get it. Water in the physical realm has the same properties as the Spirit in the spiritual realm. Both can wash away stains and both must be present to give life. This is the wisdom of God that he uses baptism here for a picture in the physical of what he is accomplishing in the spiritual. Israel collectively is the son of God, born in Egypt. He must be cleansed and born again collectively. This is what the baptism of Israel is all about.

I doubt this will help anybody because religion is a mighty blinding force.

10. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Have you not kept up? There is a historical context to the scriptures and also an ethnic context. God has made his plan known to those who will believe his words. I have read enough of your comments to know that you are ignorant (I do not mean that to belittle you) of God's purpose and plan that he wants us all to understand. God is now accomplishing his purpose of redemption in this age through gentiles rather than through Israel because of Israel's rejection of him. Baptism is not a requirement for anyone's salvation, but it was a condition for the reception of the Spirit to the Jewish nation in the beginning.

There is a condition for receiving the gift of salvation for us gentiles, and the Jews now as well. It is not baptism in water. It is believing the gospel of Jesus Christ personally, which is the only door through which we may get to God. That is a condition that is denied by many on these boards. I have been banned for saying it.

11. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are both tokens of a covenant with God.

12. Eternally Grateful

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet Paul condemned the Jews for trying to add their token to the gospel of Christ. and called it a different gospel, even telling us it is not the circumcision by the hand of men (physical) but the spiritual by which we are cleansed, theough the baptism of the spirit (again spiritual baptism)

the physical represent what happens in reality in the spiritual.. It is not the actual thing that saves us or helps to save us.

You do not get remission of sin or the gift of the spirit because you re water baptized.. Water baptism has no part in either.

13. Eternally Grateful

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is just plain wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Is that a yes or no

15. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    <Sigh>.

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The individual Iraelite in the OT who was not circumcised, though born of Abraham , was cut off from the covenant and was a cast away. God took this serious and at the end of this post I will show you from the scriptures how serious.

The Jews in the NT at the institution of the New Covenant who refused to believe and be born into the family of God were cast out of their land and cut off from the covenant. This was very serious sin.

Ex 4:20 And Moses took his wife and his sons, and set them upon an ass, and he returned to the land of Egypt: and Moses took the rod of God in his hand.
    21 And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.
    22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
    23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.
    24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him.
    25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.
    26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

Acts 28:17 And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them, Men and brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people, or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans.
    18 Who, when they had examined me, would have let me go, because there was no cause of death in me.
    19 But when the Jews spake against it, I was constrained to appeal unto Caesar; not that I had ought to accuse my nation of.
    20 For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.
    21 And they said unto him, We neither received letters out of Judaea concerning thee, neither any of the brethren that came shewed or spake any harm of thee.
    22 But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.
    23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
    24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
    25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
    26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
    27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
    28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

In a short time after this the dispersion out of their land took place in 70 AD.It lasted for nearly 2000 years.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <sigh>
    one more to add to my list

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nowhere taught in the word of God.

19. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am blown away by the fact that you guys can read a passage in the scriptures that says certain things, and even quote them to others, and then in the next comment argue that what you just quoted is not true and should not be believed. There just has to be a spirit behind that kind of logic and reasoning. It is much darker than I thought among modern church movements.

If you do not learn how to believe the words there will be no hope of advancing in understanding.

Psalm 119:130
    The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

20. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After speaking with Baptists on this forum, I am not sure being a Baptist is a good thing any longer. So far, there is not a Baptist on here who will confess they believe what they read in the scriptures, whether it is in Greek or English. I have hit a WOW factor of + 10.