1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermons On Sovereignty CHS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am perfectly consistent in my stand. Your bias prevents you from seeing it.
    Christ died for all and his blood is sufficient for all. If it is not sufficient for all it is a slap in his face to say that He was not powerful enough to die for the sins of the whole world. That is precisely what John 3:16 teaches and what AA and others here are denying by twisting the translation. He died for all whether they believe or not.

If they do not hear it is because our generation has failed to get the gospel out to them. That responsibility is on us. It is our responsibility to obey the Great Commission and to go and preach the Gospel to every creature. Many want to know. They don't because we sit back in our easy chairs and become arm chair theologians disobeying the Great Commission with no real zeal for others who have never heard.
    If you are truly concerned about "those who have never heard," then you would prepare yourself and go and tell them about Christ. Your answer is simply a cop-out.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

No Brother, it's a slap in the face of God that regardless the facts that God spoke this world into existence(Genesis 1), hung the earth on nothing(Job 26:7), made Adam from dirt(Genesis 1), made everything we see from nothing, that He can't save anyone until they allow Him to. That's a great big 'hocker' in His face...

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a cruel, yea even sadistic God that creates to torment forever, that creates in order to condemn forever. The doctrine of eternal reprobation is a horrible doctrine that goes contrary to the love and nature of God.
    God is a God of love. He so loved the world.
    He loved us enough to die for us, loved all in this world, and his blood was sufficient enough to save to the uttermost--even the likes of Hitler and Stalin. But the choice was theirs.

God, in love, made man in His own image. That image, in his sovereignty included human responsibility, meaning the will to make a choice. It is what differentiates us from animals. They cannot reason like humans. On the basis of the gospel we can reason to accept or reject Christ as Savior. No one is forcing us. God does not pre-program us to be his robots. He made us in his image that we might choose to glorify him of our own wills. There would be no glory for God if it were otherwise.
    Those are two quotes, Dave Hunt, quoting Calvin from his Institutes, in Hunt's book, "What Love is This."
    God, a God of love, randomly has chosen part of his creation to suffer for all eternity in the Lake of Fire. That is God's eternal providence, decreed before the foundation of the world, and for no other reason.
    --The above is not Bblical. Calvin's teaching is not in line with the Bible. The God of the Bible is a God of love.

Yet, Peter holds those at Pentecost accountable:
    "Men and brethren what shall we do?"
    "Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins," said Peter.

Paul held accountable those that he preached to.
    To the Athenians he said:
    [FONT=&quot]Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:[/FONT]

To the Philippian Jailer, he said:
    [FONT=&quot]Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.[/FONT]

Philip held the Ethiopian eunuch accountable:
    [FONT=&quot]Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.[/FONT]

There is human responsibility in salvation. There is a human response. There is faith. There is such a thing as sola fide.

#83 DHK, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

DHK, can man un-save himself?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What kind of question is that?

[FONT=&quot]John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.[/FONT]

Salvation is a gift. It is the free gift of God. It must be received, and it must be received by faith. Jesus said he that believes on me has everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation...
    Obviously, he can never lose his salvation.
    He is born into God's family. Do you think God is cruel enough to kick him out. No, we believe God, is a God of love.

And yet Calvin believes God is cruel enough to create a good part of humanity for the sole reason of "reprobating them" or cosigning them to the Lake of Fire for eternal torment. That is not a God of love.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This post and others like are the reason that some people coin the term ignorant fundamentalist .
    AA is correct on this verse...you cannot and will not disprove him even after he mightly corrected you . You refuse. proverbs speaks of those who are unteachable, there is a reason for it.

You stand on your error...he stands on the text...no contest, you lose.

Your attacking him and all the cals that you post with , your lack of the grace and ability to be truthful and not bear false witness is troubling even more than your numerous theological problems.

I never said AA is the greatest Gk translator in history...this statement that you posted is a lie.

the ignorance you have displayed in your failed interactions with him is astounding...for you to say there are many scholars "far' more educated than he is"....how would you know? The fact is you are unable to make that judgement.

Maybe I need to study some things concerning bearing false witness and lying. I will start a thread on that...

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Was I arrogant? Yes.
    So was the post I was responding to.

Take a look on those who post here.
    John of Japan is a well-known linguist. He is probably more capable and scholarly in the original languages than AA.
    The same can be said of Thomas Cassidy who for years was the president and professor of a Seminary. He posts here but is retired from the seminary. I am far more likely to agree with them then AA. I believe they are more qualified. And that is just on the board here.

There were 54 well qualified men that translated the KJV. Read about their qualifications. Does AA still boast to be more qualified than them, and you agree?
    Please use some common sense here Icon.
    That is all I am asking.

There are 7 billion people in the world today. How can anyone claim to be the best? And how can they prove it? That is arrogance. It is not me that is ignorant in this matter Icon.

What AA said is: "I am right." He said that I was wrong; other translations were wrong. The KJV was wrong. In effect he was the only one that was right. You agree with him. He stands against the world.
    Yes, the YLT, translates John 3:16 the same as he does.
    Now go and look at how many don't. Dozens! He is almost alone in this.

#87 DHK, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okaaaaaaaayyyyyy....

How does a man have a free will to either reject the gift of salvation or receive it, yet he doesn't have the same free will to give that same gift back?

If one has free will pre-salvation, then they also have free will to give it back...

God created man upright...see Adam....

When Adam fell, we also fell....

We don't wrongly blame God for those who fell in Adam....we blame Adam(rightfuly so)...

God did not have to save one soul, and was not under any obligation to do so...

Yet in His mercy, He gave a MULTITUDE of undeserving sinners to His Son. These were purchased with a price, a price that only He could pay...

In John 11, you can read of the best example of what God does for sinners...

Could Lazarus have rejected Jesus' calling?

I'll be waiting for that answer....

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God has made man in his own image, and that includes the will to choose. It couldn't be any other way. He did not create robots to praise him. Even man can do that with the technology now available to him. What glory will he receive from it. Nothing but vanity!!
    But for the Almighty to receive praise out of his creation's own volition, then that is worthy praise. Man must choose of his own will to trust Christ and then to continue to trust and praise him.

His Spirit comes and dwells within and begins to change him. This is the fruit of a saved individual. He does not want the old life that he had before. If he turns back did he have that new life to begin with? Who would want the old life in exchange for the new life he has been given?

Furthermore he has been born into God's family. He cannot be "unborn."
    He has been given eternal life. Eternal life cannot be lost.
    Addressed above.
    You read this last statement wrong.
    He paid the purchase price for all men of all ages and could do no less.
    When I pay the insurance on my house I pay it for all that is in my house not just for those things that are going to be saved if a fire breaks out!
    He paid the price for all.
    Redemption was efficacious only to those who believed. They had to make the choice. That was "the multitude" that was spoken of.
    Here is the big mistake of the Calvinists.
    They continue to equate spiritual death with physical death. That is not possible. It is a wrong comparison.
    First Jesus did a miracle in raising Lazarus from the dead. That has nothing to do with salvation. It is not even a picture, or an accurate one.

Death in the Bible means separation--not a dead corpse.
    The sinner is separated from God, not lifeless.
    He needs reconciliation with God. That comes through a believer who is the ambassador for God and has been given the ministry of reconciliation. He uses the Word of God through which the Spirit of God works.
    Faith comes from hearing the Word of God.
    According to John 3:5 we are born by the Spirit land according to 1Pet.1:23 we are born again by the Word of God. We must have the word of God in order to have faith and in order to be born again. There is no possibility of being born again without faith through the word of God.

10. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I beg to differ. The analogy is correct. The problem is not with the Calvinistic analogy but with the Arminian response as illustrated by your next words which are:

You are taking the analogy to an extreme literalism by restricting the spiritual to a physical literalism to define the spiritual. First, the human spirit is not a LITERAL PHYSICAL "body" or a "corpse" which in regard to a physical body is "lifeless." However, it is EQUALLY separated (death) as physical death is SEPARATION of the material body from the immaterial spirit of man and that is why it is a PHYSICAL LIFELESS corpse. Likewise, spiritual death is SEPARATION of the spirit of man from the Spirit of God and is a LIFELESS spirit. God is spirit and God is life and to be "alienated" spiritually is to be spiritually dead. To reunite the human spirit to the Spirit of God IS SPIRITUAL LIFE.

For example, take an electric heater disconnected from the wall socket. It is ELECTRICALLY DEAD because it is SEPARATED from the wall socket. Unite the cord of the heater to the wall socket and it is ELECTRICALLY ALIVE. That is purely a PHYSICAL analogy but the same is true when brought over to the SPIRITUAL realm. When the spirit of man is SEPARATED from God who IS LIFE, then the spirit of man is SPIRITUALLY dead (separated). However, when the human spirit is brought into union with the Spirit of God it is SPIRITUALLY ALIVE.

You are conflating the physical with the spiritual BY TRANSFERRING THE PHYSICAL to the Spiritual LITERALLY! That is abuse of an anaology as there is no LITERAL TRANSFERRENCE of the PHYSICAL to the spiritual but only a METAPHORICAL transferrence. That is what makes the analogy proper because we cannot understand or see "dead" except in a PHYSICAL sense. So when the Biblical writers say the "spirit" is "dead" it does not mean we are to understand it is a physical lifeless corpse! It means it is SEPARATED from the source of SPIRITUAL life and cannot operate in the spiritual relationship with God in the spiritual realm any more than a physical dead body can operate in the physical realm.

#90 The Biblicist, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

By using your logic here, God has free will to sin, and just merely chooses not to.

I wish you guys would get off this 'robot' kick. Neither sides believes this, but you guys keep stating it.

And sinners have no free will. The will is bound the nature. The truth...Jesus Christ...is the only freedom people have...

Regeneration happens first, then I can agree with this.

Eternal life is a gift. You stated a gift can be received or rejected. Your inconsistencies are showing everywhere....

John 10, 17, Romans 8, Ezekiel 34 Revelation 17, 20 all refute this notion. If Christ paid everybody's sin debt in full, then there's no wrath to be meted out to them. That's cruelity for God to cast them headlong into the lake of fire, even after Christ paid their debt for them. That's a weak work done by Christ. You have a very sad theology...

I shot a gaping hole in your theology...that's the mistake of calvinism. It is the prime example of salvation...

Faith is a gift of God...I'll show you some verses for you to ignore....

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Surely a spirit is in man, And the breath of the Mighty One Doth cause them to understand. (Job 32:8)

looking to the author and perfecter of faith -- Jesus, who, over-against the joy set before him -- did endure a cross, shame having despised, on the right hand also of the throne of God did sit down; (Heb. 12:2)

For I say, through the grace that was given to me, to every one who is among you, not to think above what it behoveth to think; but to think so as to think wisely, as to each God did deal a measure of faith, (From. 12:3)

Jesus answered and said to them, `This is the work of God, that ye may believe in him whom He did send.' (John 6:29)

for God it is who is working in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure. (Phpps. 2:13)

so, then -- not of him who is willing, nor of him who is running, but of God who is doing kindness: (From. 9:16)

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Basically that is what I said.
    Death is separation. Death is not lifelessness as in a corpse, the way that a Calvinist explains it.
    Look at it this way. If death meant dead like a corpse, then not only would the corpse be not able to respond to God, but he would not be able to sin either. He would be dead to sin, dead to God, dead completely. A dead person cannot do anything--not for God and not for Satan. He is dead. The comparison to a corpse is the wrong comparison.

Thus death is separation as is illustrated by James.
    [FONT=&quot]James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.[/FONT]
    --When the spirit separates from the body there is physical death.

In eternal death the spirit is separated from God for all eternity and there will never be any hope of redemption. The separation is in a place called Hell/Lake of Fire forever and ever--separated from God.
    Death is separation. Eternally separated from God.

Eph.2:1
    [FONT=&quot]Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;[/FONT]
    --They were spiritually dead--not corpses, but separated from God.
    They were still made in the image of God; still had a soul and spirit. The spirit needed to be reconciled unto God. He was separated by sin. That can only be accomplished by the new birth.
    I don't disagree.
    The Calvinist often uses the analogy of dead corpse which is wrong. It is the picture of total inability, a wrong doctrine. The dead person can respond in faith to the gospel, because that dead person is not like a corpse. The spirit is inoperable, separated but not like dead like a corpse--totally unable to respond. If that were true he would be totally unable to sin as well. The spirit needs to be regenerated; needs to be reconciled unto God, from whom he is separated.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible specifically says "God cannot sin." God cannot do that which is against his nature to do.
    It is the logical outcome of the predeterminism of Calvinism.
    Man has no free will, no will to choose. Every path is chosen for him; predestinated before the foundation of the world, even as this post is. God knew it; God foreordained it. My will had nothing to do with it. Everything, good or bad comes from God. He predestines some to Hell and some to Heaven. Why pray? God already knows who the elect are and who the reprobate are. Everything is predetermined before hand. We are but puppets in the hand of the Great Puppeteer. If you read either Calvin or Augustine, that is how he would picture mankind.
    They will someday stand before the Great White Throne of God, and give account for themselves. Their names will not be written in the Book of Life, and that for one reason only: They chose not to trust Christ.
    It was their choice; their will. God did not force them into any decision.
    The decision made was not made before the foundation of the world. It was theirs. God did not "bind" their will. They had the freedom to choose. All men do. It is in our image--the image that God made us in.
    Regeneration and salvation happen simultaneously. It is all one package.
    Many people refuse gifts for one reason or another. There is no inconsistency here.
    Gifts are rejected because of pride. Some people think they are too good to receive a man's offer to help. They will do it on their own.
    Some people refuse a monetary gift because they have enough already, so they think.
    Some people refuse a gift simply because they don't like the giver.
    There are many reasons why a person may refuse a gift.
    What inconsistency is there?

The gift must be received or it is useless.
    In order for the gift to be received it must be received in humility. It is an offer of salvation. To receive a gift of salvation one must first admit that he needs it, or is in need of a Savior, that is that he is a sinner. That is a hard thing to do for many people. Pride gets in the way.
    Christ paid for their debt, and they cast the gift away. What an insult to Christ. Is it no wonder that they are cast into the Lake of Fire, and deservedly so! This is justice, not reprobation. God is not cruel, but just.
    It is cruel for the Calvinistic God to create man solely for the purpose of throwing him into the Lake of Fire for all eternity and for no other reason but.
    No, it is a mistake in Calvinism. A dead person (corpse) can neither answer to God, nor can he answer to the devil. If he is dead then he is dead. He can't to anything. The comparison to physical death is the wrong comparison.
    Faith, in the Bible, is never treated as a gift to the unregenerate.
    It is defined as a spiritual gift in 1Cor.12 and as a fruit of the Spirit in Gal.5.
    God does not give spiritual gifts and the fruit of the Spirit go unsaved individuals. When faith is given to individuals they are always regenerated individuals, never the unsaved.
    Give me your scripture. You won't find God giving faith to the unsaved.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Causes who to understand and how? It is the book of Job, and it is not speaking directly of faith.
    He is speaking to believers.
    He is speaking to believers.
    It doesn't say that God is giving faith to anyone.
    This is written for believers.
    Again, written for believers.

Nowhere does the Bible teach that God gives faith to the unregenerate in order for him to believe. Faith comes by hearing and hearing from the Word of God.
    First he must hear the Word of God--the Gospel.
    Second, he must be convinced that it is true, not just intellectually but from the heart--usually a work of the Holy Spirit.
    Third, he must put "his" faith (which comes from hearing the Word) in that message and thus in Christ, and be saved.
    --Believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bingo!! That's why regeneration leading to conversion is important...

Man's will is bound by its nature. A fallen nature=fallen will. A quickened nature=quickened will...

And when was their name written in the Lamb's Book of Life?

Regeneration leads to salvation/conversion.

You keep harping on the ability to reject the gift of eternal life. How to you reconcile that notion in light of this verse?

--for unrepented of [are] the gifts and the calling of God; (Romans 11:29)

Your theology is easily thawrted with scripture.

--`And this is the will of the Father who sent me, that all that He hath given to me I may not lose of it, but may raise it up in the last day; (John 6:39)

Yeah...sure...:rolleyes: The dead(spiritually) can not answer God. God quickens them, then they can hear. That's why Jesus said many times...'let him that hath ears'....

Yeah...sure...whatever...:rolleyes:

You're Winman, Jr....

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have never seen someone so oblivious to this in all my years as a christian....

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God does not give faith to the unbeliever. You have no scripture; only mockery and ad hominems, as above. In the previous post, to the same question on faith you answered:
    No answer. No Bible. Just mockery. Not much to debate when you have no answer. There never is an answer when one holds an unbiblical position.
    God does not give faith to an unregenerate person.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I gave you biblical answers and you ushered them out of the door...

Adios...:wavey: s'long...:wavey:

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A non sequitor. Your answer has nothing to do with the character of God.
    A commonly repeated Calvinist idiom given in defense of Total Inability--an error of Calvinism. Notice: no scriptural support.
    And what difference does that make.
    God's omniscience in no way interferes with his plan of salvation. He knows every thought of your mind, every letter you type before you post it. Does that mean you have no choice whether to post a reply just because God knows what you will do, whether you will reply or not. Has God taken away your choice because he knows what choice you will make. That is the reasoning of the Calvinist.
    Your opinion. It is wrong. No biblical support.
    More accurately:
    [FONT=&quot]Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.[/FONT]
    --This has nothing to do with the unsaved. It has nothing to do with eternal life. It is speaking of the favor, mercy and grace that he has bestowed on Israel and the calling of the Gentiles. He will never change his mind on these things.
    You are having a hard time doing it.
    God or Christ never lose any. I do believe in eternal security.
    However, continue reading. What is the Father's will that Christ was talking about. Read on:

[FONT=&quot]John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.[/FONT]
    --The ones that the Father gives are the ones that believe. They are the ones that are given eternal life. Get the order right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.