1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seventh-day Adventists. Fifth largest Christian denomination World Wide

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ag, shame!

Counting your marbles starting with the ghoen or the glass won't increase the number or the size. [In US informal English, ‘sass’, ‘impudence’.]

#41 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must have misread the title - I thought this was aobut the SDA being the 5th largest.....

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

SDA sure can't be Sola Scripture. They may be sola Ms. White with her 50,000 pages of new revelation!

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed - nobody is saved "by popular vote" -- still it is nice to see when there is agreement on certain obvious doctrinal points.

in Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you timid regarding the 6 Bible points that SDAs share in common with the "Baptist Confession of Faith"???

================ came up this way on this thread --

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A closer reading of the C-V-A thread would correct that impression. :)

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BIG difference is that NONE of them would claim that we MUST observe sabbath in order to be real Christian, as SDA does, and NONE of them would agree with SDA that God gave forth any additional revelations, as the SDA does say what happened with their prophetess!

You are REALLY distoting what they all held with!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some agreements that we have as baptists with catholics, so does that mean that we hold both to the same Gospel?

The Gospel of the Bible and of SDA TWO seperate things!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true - and it is hard to find "the same Gospel" between some Baptist Arminians and some Baptist Calvinists - as the C-V-A board is demonstrating at this very moment.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And do they agree with "this"???

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And does D.L. Moody say "this"??

==========================

D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment

BY THE
    DWIGHT L. MOODY
    The Ten Commandments:
    Exodus 20:2-17
    The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

[FONT=&quot]THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; [/FONT] __________________
    ==================================================

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You know better than anyone else Moody meant,

'I believe that the Sunday question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up Sunday the church goes'.

He said <<the Sabbath question today>> --- <TODAY>!! His day--- in which there was no Seventh Day Sabbath question at all.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think he meant this ---

=========================

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

[FONT=&quot]THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; [/FONT]

==================================

I think Y1 posted this --

And I think we all saw that.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realise that he was speaking to honoring Sunday worship, and that the Confessions of the faith are NOT equal to scriptures, right?

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They show that some Bible details are "sooo glaringly obvious" that BOTH sides of the debate admit to them. Hence the 6 of 7 points agreed to - as BOTH sides find them "in the Bible".

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread speaks to the growth of the Seventh-day Adventist church - but this point about the 7 point list is a great illustration of how that works. If all the response is "I refuse to see it ... you cannot make me comment on the facts" as the "best defense" -- well then..

That explains a lot.

It would be wiser to take advantage of this opportunity and post insightful comments.

in Christ,

Bob

17. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the number of Southern Baptists alone far exceeds 18.1 million not counting millions of other types of Baptists.

"Today, 46 million Baptists belong to churches cooperating with the Baptist World Alliance. Many Baptist groups, including the Southern Baptist Convention and the Baptist Bible Fellowship do not cooperate with the Alliance. Their number can add up to a total of close to 100 million adherents in the world through 211 denominations, making Baptists the largest Protestant denomination in the world."

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Apparently - Your "belief" about the number of Southern Baptists does not fit with Christianity Today's actual count. There was a time in the 1980's however when the SDA count was around 4 million and the Southern Baptists were something like 14 million.

DHK has stated that his group of Baptists refuses to share communion with Southern Baptists - so not at all the same body in terms of doctrine.

And it is unclear that Free Will Baptists, Seventh-day Baptist, Southern Baptists all hold to the same set of doctrines.

I believe CT has the objective fact on this point.

in Christ,

Bob

#58 BobRyan, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What happened when David counted the nation?

Just as a reminder and warning….

In any case, Catholicism is coming for all of us non-Catholics— of Reformed or of its own faith indiscriminately. Being Arminians isn’t going to help any. God have mercy on us … the small in numbers and great in sins.

I’m so glad I’m not young anymore … no more flirtation with the woman in red; and no more frustration. We must make a hymn of that song, Maurice.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It has become the right time on BaptistBoard, in my own life, in the development of this issue, and in history, to tell you with the truest to truth word, Bob Ryan, THIS IS A LIE!

"The Sabbath was made"---and God "gave you the Sabbath" IN THE BEGINNING : AS MERCY AND NOT AS LAW!

AWAY WITH ANTI-CHRIST IN GENESIS!

Away with Seventh-day Adventism's stranglehold on God's truth and grace "ON THE SEVENTH DAY ... IN THE BEGINNING"!

#60 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.