1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seventh-day Adventists

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SwordBearer, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I speak from my personal experience with members of the SDA, and my knowledge of my own idolatrous heart.

The disease of mankind is his religion of self-salvation. It's insidious, and it's pervasive.We all do it or have done it. The gospel is the only cure.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He loves to misquote the Confession, and the scriptures, in order to try to make valid his false prophetess false teachings!

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob, I said,

You replied,

Post #82

Now either you misspoke or you are confused about your SDA beliefs?

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OF COURSE you do! You're evidently more-committed to the Seven-day-Adlibber hooey than to GOD.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

OF COURSE you don't wanna discuss anything that's against your revered "prophetess" guru.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    as it turns out I know a number of SDAs personally and what is more ... I have about 30,000 posts here ... so far your statements about SDAs don't fit any I know or anything I have posted.

So that does not put me in the limited position of simply having to trust "your representations" in exchanged for the observed facts of what is public 28 Fundamental beliefs and what happens every week in SDA churches.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True but that will never justify making false statements about others.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you still preach and teach the false Gospel that Ellen White gave?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What statements about your false teacher and teachings are wrong?

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Hint: you don't rebel against something you don't know about.

Obviously.

So then back to that statement -- and then you show me where you are having difficulty with the concept.

===============================

Rebellion against God is not 'for salvation" as we probably both know.

For example - I do not believe that Catholics are all lost because they all bow down before images and promise to serve those they represent even though this clearly violates the Commandments of God. (As I have said in the past) -- "to him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin". James 4:17

so then your "non essential for salvation" could be worked into a lot of scenarios trying to get all of scripture to be "non essential".

I also believe that Romans 2:13-16 - says that gentiles with no access to scripture at all - are in some cases saved because they experience the New Birth - via the Holy Spirit.

This does not mean that as Christians we should ignore the Bible or should bow down before images or should not know who Christ is... Or should view all of that as "not important" for Christians.

all of your games aside "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

the text remains true no matter how many "yes no" games you would like to engage in as we probably both agree

you "seem" to want to fall on your sword demanding that Rev 14:12 and James 4:17 can't BOTH be true. Why keep doing that as if that is "helping" your argument???

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No false teacher, and no false teachings... did you forget to read the full text of the post???

hint - "everyone has a sinful nature" -- is not the same thing as saying "everyone's doctrine promotes sin"... obviously.

Less ad hominem... more attention to the details in the actual posts please.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you keep posting fiction .. will have to focus on other posts ... than yours.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That fiction never happened in real life - and we both know it.

Is there a point at which you would consider not posting fiction??

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you are saying these Catholics are bowing down to graven images and they don't know that is sin? So therefore they will not be lost for not keeping the commandments of God because they don't know God said do not do this?

15. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are these who are ignorant???

Romans 1:18–32

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness

[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. [19] For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. [20] For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. [21] For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. [22] Claiming to be wise, they became fools, [23] and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

[24] Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, [25] because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

[26] For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; [27] and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

[28] And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. [29] They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, [30] slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, [31] foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. [32] Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (ESV)

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is not a goat! Nor is Satan!

However, EGW DID write that Satan will be the scapegoat for our sins. And, for that matter, he WILL survive - in hell forever.

And, of course, JESUS survives!

You are free to believe the garbage EGW wrote if you wish. And I am equally free to point it out as garbage, to hopfully keep any new Christian from believing it.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    less ad hominem nonsense - more Bible please.

Matthew Henry's Commentary - Lev 16
    As he (Jesus) is the high priest, so he is the sacrifice with which atonement is made; for he is all in all in our reconciliation to God. Thus he was prefigured by the two goats, which both made one offering: the slain goat was a type of Christ dying for our sins, "

You have chosen to ignore Bible typology that is so glaringly obvious Matthew Henry easily gets the point. You can't blame everything Matthew Henry wrote - on Ellen White.

Obviously.

Please be serious for at least a minute. Ad hominem vitriol is not the solution to every topic.

You post "as if" factless emotionalism is "all sufficient" for Baptists - and I think that does them disservice.

#117 BobRyan, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Hint: you don't rebel against something you don't know about.

Obviously.

So then back to that statement -- and then you show me where you are having difficulty with the concept.

===============================

Rebellion against God is not 'for salvation" as we probably both know.

For example - I do not believe that Catholics are all lost because they all bow down before images and promise to serve those they represent even though this clearly violates the Commandments of God. (As I have said in the past) -- "to him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin". James 4:17

so then your "non essential for salvation" could be worked into a lot of scenarios trying to get all of scripture to be "non essential".

I also believe that Romans 2:13-16 - says that gentiles with no access to scripture at all - are in some cases saved because they experience the New Birth - via the Holy Spirit.

This does not mean that as Christians we should ignore the Bible or should bow down before images or should not know who Christ is... Or should view all of that as "not important" for Christians.

all of your games aside "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

the text remains true no matter how many "yes no" games you would like to engage in as we probably both agree

I just gave the example above of Catholics bowing down before images and promising to serve those that they represent. You read that right?

By contrast Romans 1:18-32 is about pagans who have no access to the Bible at all - their only access to truth - is nature itself.

Romans 1:18–32
    [18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. [19] For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. [20] For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. [21] For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. [22] Claiming to be wise, they became fools, [23] and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

[24] Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, [25] because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

[26] For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions... [32] Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Incredibly obvious.

Or do you find a lot of Catholics saying "We are guilty of sin in our worship services -- hope God will ignore it"???

They have some degree of truth and conviction of sin even while not aware of that specific sin as Romans 2 points out in general.

James 4:17 remains true -- even if you object to the Catholic example of not knowing that bowing down to their images is wrong. catholics have a long list of sins (some real and some imagined) that they believe are a sin and that they believe they have committed -- hence their various confession sacrament rituals seeking some method of absolution. I don' t know of any Catholic claiming that they have never sinned. You and I both know this is true... I am only stating the obvious.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem is, you cite James 4:17 as your support for the Catholic NOT knowing what is right when James is speaking about the one who DOES know to do right.... "to him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin". James 4:17

A word from God that your Catholic scenario would fit into would be..."There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" (Proverbs 16:25). This would mean that ignorance only leads to one being lost, not an excuse for avoiding damnation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.