1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sharpton & Drugs

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Justified, Jul 24, 2002.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If Sharpton was approached, and turned down the deal, but HBO didn't make that clear, I'd say that they were in some trouble.

Otherwise, truth it an absolute defense against libel or slander.

Let's see what happens...

3. doug44

doug44 New Member

i didnt realize Sharpton got so much attention outside of here in New York, where he is nothing but a bad toothache.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Jesse Jackson's a "Christian minister"???

By what criteria should he be considered by any stretch of the imagination to be a minister of the Gospel?

5. Justified

Justified New Member

Smoke,

I reread that post about Jesse Benedict Jackson and I believe now, and that you do the same, that if I stretch my imagination beyond my beliefs, I can really see that he might be a Minister, but not convienced yet, a Christain! :D

His boat is still ready! :cool:

[ July 25, 2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Justified ]

6. Morat

Morat New Member

The same criteria I use when you claim to be Christian.

I'm vaguely aware that the judging of who is and isn't Christian is reserved for one person alone, and you're not Him.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

The same criteria I use when you claim to be Christian.

I'm vaguely aware that the judging of who is and isn't Christian is reserved for one person alone, and you're not Him.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Morat, I didn't say anything even remotely questioning his salvation. I don't put words in your mouth. Please show me the same courtesy.

When did I say he was or wasn't a Christian? Who knows, he may well be. I don't understand, however, how he reconciles his serial adultery, shady business practices (including tax evasion) or going on national TV and spreading outright lies about his enemies with his Christianity.

Every Christian "stumbles" at one point sooner or later, but what does the Bible say about someone who lives in deliberate sin, defying God's word?

Are they Christians according to God's word?

If you'll go back and re-read my post a little more carefully, you'll see that I asked by what criteria he is to be considered a minister of the Gospel.

In addition to his behavior, which most non-Christians wouldn't even engage in, his doctrinal stands don't line up with orthodox Christianity.

While I think you'd be hard pressed to make a Biblical case for his having been regenerated, for the sake of charity I'll say that he may very well be a Christian, albeit a carnal one.

But again, I ask how does anyone take him seriously as a "minister".

You can call yourself "reverend" all day but that doesn't make you one.

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Well, I may have erred. Jackson was ordained as a Baptist minister in 1968.

Of course, how good a Christian that makes him, is open to discussion.

I realize that among the Pharaisees, discussing which Christians are "real" Christians is a popular sport.

So I'll leave that discussion to those of you who enjoy that sort of thing.

9. Justified

Justified New Member

Gal,

Jesus told us to judge others quite frequently in Scriptures. ;)

And before the election of Billy Cheater Clinton, they showed him and Al Blackbeard Gore, both walking out of a church with Bibles in their arms. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of people that claim to be Christian, and Jesus said to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. Or would we be judging? :confused:

And I also didn't know that a Christian was a Pharisee. I thought that they were Jews.

OH! Wait a minute, you are not saying that some on this board could be a Pharisee? :eek: [​IMG] :rolleyes: :D

My! My! Gal! Well! Isn't that "JUDGING!" :eek: LOL

[ July 25, 2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Justified ]

10. doug44

doug44 New Member

just a comment...we make judgements every day...it gets tiresome when people take the bible out of context and say we ought not to judge....just shouldnt judge others for something we ourselves are currently guilty of..."remove the plank from our own eye first" (paraphrased)

11. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

A subtle distintion perhaps, but Galatian did not say "judging", he said, "discussing which Christians are "real" Christians".

[ July 25, 2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

12. doug44

doug44 New Member

actually i never said my comment was directed at "The Galation" i was referring to another post by someone else in this thread.

13. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

In my opinion, only God knows what is in a man's heart; you (I assume) are not God. Which of those two statements do you think is wrong?

Since they are both Baptists, I'm not all that surprised.

Are you claiming to be a Christian?

If you want to be the Pharaisee, do what you think is right according to your understanding.

I suggest you read C.S. Lewis' &lt;i&gt;The Screwtape Letters&lt;/i&gt;. If you don't read much, just go to the last page or so. The last entry. Read it and learn.

Only God knows what's in your heart. But is your behavior something you'd want others to take as an example of Christianity? Follow your conscience. All things you do have consequences.

If so, God is doing it, not me. As I said, Phairasees love to judge who is and who isn't a "real Christian". Up to you what you do.

14. Justified

Justified New Member

Gal,

This is gonna be fun! :D

1) In my opinion, only God knows what is in a man's heart; you (I assume) are not God. Which of those two statements do you think is wrong?

Is this a trick question? I see 2 Theologically correct statements. So the answer is none and your opinion is correct. :D

I made reference to Jesus, and you said God. That tells me that at least you know a little bit about Theology, as Jesus said "I and the Father are one". And yes, only God knows whats in my heart.

The 2nd statement: "I am not God", shows at least that you know I'm not God, and I will assure you that I am not, as the Bible makes it clear that there is only ONE God, and I am not he!

2) Are you claiming to be a Christian?

Is this another trick question? But, I'll answer it none the less. YES! Born Again, Saved by the shed Blood of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, and nothing else! [​IMG]

3) If you want to be the Pharaisee, do what you think is right according to your understanding.

Like I told you, I'm Born Again, and don't believe in Judism, thus I could not be a Pharisee. The Jews won't let me. [​IMG]

4) I suggest you read C.S. Lewis' &lt;i&gt;The Screwtape Letters&lt;/i&gt;.

When I get done with studing God's Word, I just might take you up on that suggestion.

5) Only God knows what's in your heart. But is your behavior something you'd want others to take as an example of Christianity? Follow your conscience. All things you do have consequences.

You are repeating the first one.

And is this question, another trick question? Is this to see how vain or how humble I am?

I follow God's Word, the Bible, and you might want to do the same.

As far as consequences, again you are right!

4) Your last remarks don't make sense, so I won't embarass you, by trying to address it. [​IMG]

Hey! Gal! What's all of this have to do with Al "the Drug Lord" Sharpton and Jesse "the Terrorist" Jackson? :cool:

The boat is still ready! :eek: :D LOL

Told you it was going to be fun! LOL

[ July 25, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Justified ]

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Justine says:
    1) In my opinion, only God knows what is in a man's heart; you (I assume) are not God. Which of those two statements do you think is wrong?

But you're telling me what is in the hearts of these people you seem to hate. I see a contradiction there.
    You didn't know Jesus was God? Oh, yes I guess you did. So why did you ask?

Galatian, in reference to Justine's comments about people claiming to be Christians:
    2) Are you claiming to be a Christian?

And I can take your word for it, but not other people's words? Hmmm...

Galatian, regarding Justine's habit of judging what's in the hearts of others:
    3) If you want to be the Pharaisee, do what you think is right according to your understanding.

(Justine denies any such possibility)

Galation, earlier:
    4) I suggest you read C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Last section. Read and learn.

I guess you're going to continue to extract motes from everyone's eyes, then.

Galatian, earlier:
    (2) Only God knows what's in your heart. But is your behavior something you'd want others to take as an example of Christianity? Follow your conscience. All things you do have consequences.

It's an appeal to your better nature.

It's not obvious from your posts. You should be an imitation of Christ. You're not doing as well as you should at this point.

Galatian, earlier:
    If so, God is doing it, not me. As I said, Phairasees love to judge who is and who isn't a "real Christian". Up to you what you do.

It's a Christian thing. We are not to judge what is in the hearts of others. Nor are we to suggest that they fall short of being "real Christians" until we are first perfect ourselves.

Hey! Gal! What's all of this have to do with Al "the Drug Lord" Sharpton and Jesse "the Terrorist" Jackson?

16. Justified

Justified New Member

Gala,

Actually, I pegged most of your response to a "T".
    :cool:

And this is actually comical going back and forth with you! :D

But going back to what started some of this, was about Christians judging the actions and appearence of others, whether others are Christian or not. ;)

Jesus made several references to us examining others. That way we know where they stand. And my whole point is, if you don't want to be accused of drinking booze, then stay out of the bar. :D

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Justine:
    Yep. Yer a savant. Fer sure.

I think so, too. I bet Sharpton isn't going to think it's so funny. BTW, you do know that if you're under 18, your parents are legally responsible for any libels you commit, don't you?

No, it doesn't seem so. It was some guy trying the old "send the blacks back to Africa" stuff. Then you accused Sharpton of being a drug lord and Jackson of being a terrorist. That's asking for trouble.

At this point, you might go check what scripture says about false witness. And you might ask God to give you another chance, and make sure these folks don't hear about your libel. Of course, if you can prove that they did those things, you're in the clear.

Luke 7:34 The Son of man came feasting, and you say, Here is a lover of food and wine, a friend of tax-farmers and sinners.

Jesus drank and feasted, and hung out with all sorts of disreputable characters. And the phairasees criticised him for being in the bar.

It's not a good idea to be one of those folks, Justine.

18. Justified

Justified New Member

Gala,

You really should not participate in this kind of conversational confrontation, for you are not versed to accurately handle each subject on an academic level. In conjunction, you are also not able to focus on a multitude of subjects and keep them in their proper prospective and contexts of subject matter.

Through all of these previous posts on this thread and in another topic thread, you have shown your translating and interpreting skills to be most inadequate, thus showing us why you have such a liberal view of God's Word and interpretation of it.

Also, you refuse to accept the facts, when they are presented to you, and can not accept the fact that other people have differing opinions from yours, and especially when they back up their opinions on facts. You then turn from the subject matter and run of on rabbit trails to try to draw from the subject matter.

I must apologize for the shortening of your screen name from Galatian, to Gal. That was not a wise decision on my part. Thus, I'm sorry. Will you please forgive me?

19. Morat

Morat New Member

Hmm. Let's play a logic game.

Let's assume, for the time being, that Person X most likely belongs to a church that believes that only true Christians go to heaven, because if you're not a true Christian, you obviously aren't saved.

This would seem to be a common belief among conservative Protestants.

Now, if Person X then accuses Person Y of not being a "True Christian" or even a "Christian" at all, he would therefore be making comments about the state of Person Y's salvation.

Thus, Person X is judging who is fit for salvation, who is saved, and who is going to heaven.

A judgement he is, IIRC, expressly forbidden to make. One would hope that Person X would concern himself with his own salvation, and leave Person Y's status as "True Christian" up to God.

20. Justified

Justified New Member

Morat,

I know a lot of Born Again, saved by the shed Blood of Jesus Christ, Christains. Some from all walks of churches, and not just Baptist.

I have an Uncle that is saved, but will not leave the Catholic church, despite all of its abominations. I also know of some Lutherans that are saved, but will not leave the Lutheran Church, despite that they know that the church tells them that there are some other things to salvation other then Grace. And Methodist, Weslean, and etc.

I am not judging their salvation, only they know that. Do I believe or think they are saved? I can only go by what they tell me, but if I were to judge by their actions, then I would say , yes.

Now, a person that says that they are Saved, but live like the Devil, and show no remorse for their sins, then I say, I doubt that they are saved and then pray for their salvation.

Jesus said: Wherefore by their fruits, ye shall know them.

come out from amoung them, and touch not the unclean thing.

And there are dozens more about making a judgement call.

But, first we are to be prayed up on this and besure that we are right in the eyes of our Lord. :cool: