1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sheep or Goat?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is interesting that no one seems to support your idea on any of these verses,the discussion is going on all around you though.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew you would seek to change the subject, because you have no basis for your assertions. Icon asserted "no one" but somehow post #83 got a like!

I set my mind on your likely rebuttal efforts, but then changed my focus to your likely deflection efforts.

Matthew 23:13 demonstrates the fallen can at times seek the kingdom, and not be compelled by "irresistible" grace. No one is a goat, the sheep usually refers to fallen mankind, of My sheep refers to those of fallen mankind who are open and receptive to God's word, and My sheep refers to those made spotless by the blood of the Lamb.

3. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jhn 15:5 KJV - I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van,

[I knew you would seek to change the subject, because you have no basis for your assertions. Icon asserted "no one" but somehow post #83 got a like! ]

The one like was by someone who suggested ezk.34 was not speaking of the Son.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More fault finding addressing individuals, more change of subject deflection, more of the same .

John 10:26 (NASB) “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.

Obviously those not "of My sheep" are not open or receptive to God's word. Apparently the logical necessity of those "of My sheep" being open and receptive is beyond the grasp of some holding differing views.

John 8:47 (NASB)
    "He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God."

To be "of God" or "of My sheep" is to be open and receptive to God's word. Those that deny this truth, deny the obvious.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this is an interesting verse. Apparently it is possible for "professing" Christians to "abide in Jesus" but because God has not credited their faith as righteousness, Jesus does not "abide in them." Thus as with all who are not saved, all their works of righteousness are as filthy rags to God. The only way to bring forth "much fruit" is to be born anew, a new creation created for "good works" which means those who have been redeemed (transferred spiritually into Christ) and sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit (indwelt with the Spirit of Christ.)

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So now you desperately try and combine a phrase from one verse, and because it has the word of in it, that becomes the linguistic rosetta stone? I am sure somebody thinks that is a good idea.:Cautious.
    Do these ideas just come to you, or do you have to work at it?:Notworthy

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one is transferred anywhere. Election took place before creation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another "you, you and you" post, deflection on display.

I presented the result of study, two verses on the same topic, and somehow its not exegetical, but the object of ridicule. People who are open and receptive to God's word are "of God" and "of My sheep."

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made this claim before, and I responded before with Colossians 1:13, and then we get the nonsense asserted yet again.
    ESV
    He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,
    NASB
    For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They become His sheep when the Holy Spirit does His transformation work unto the elect, as he brings them to faith in H=Jesus and receiving the eternal Life God chose them to now have!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the kingdom of satan and died in our sins!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can we be born as heep when we are born fallen in sin though?

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hint:

Lost sheep

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 23:13 demonstrates the fallen can at times seek the kingdom, and not be compelled by "irresistible" grace. No one is a goat, the sheep usually refers to fallen mankind, of My sheep refers to those of fallen mankind who are open and receptive to God's word, and My sheep refers to those made spotless by the blood of the Lamb.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here the verse plainly states....transferred into the Kingdom...not what you suggest at all.
    Why does that seem to happen often?
    This seems to happen frequently

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Awhile back,you had a failed thread on this. Of course it has nothing to do with the O.P.
    No one is receptive as you claim. 1 cor 2:14
    Yet that does not stop you from posting it over and over again.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the elect as being His sheep, but that they still must receive Jesus as Lord and Messiah thru faith in order to be that in sight of God!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let us try to get this whole thing into focus.

1. The Elect are sheep (of Christ's fold) according to Matthew 25:31-33.
    2. The Elect have always been predestined (Ephesians 1:5) and as a consequence of being predestined, God purpose for them has always been to be sheep.
    3. Before the Elect are converted they are lost sheep that are not yet of Christ's fold but they will eventually become part of His fold (John 10:16).
    4. The Elect, even before they are converted, are not goats. The sheep have always been sheep; either lost sheep outside the fold or sheep that are part of the fold. Goats are those who have never been Elect.

This whole topic really has to do with the divine purpose of God. In John 10 we see Jesus as the Good Shepherd who calls His sheep by name (the Elect) and they respond. In Matthew 25 we see Jesus the rightful judge, separating His elect (sheep) from the reprobate (goats). A goat is never a lost sheep that becomes a sheep after it is saved. I really do not know how many times this needs to be stated.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Goat and the Sheep are both lost though, and the sheep does not have eternal life until saved by Christ, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.