1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shopping for Men's Jeans (Arrgghh!!)

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, Dec 31, 2018.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided I should replace the couple pairs of jeans I have because they are getting a bit ragged. I've been wearing Kohl's house brand jeans, Urban Pipeline, because they fit me fairly well and they are inexpensive (when bought on sale.) Had these same jeans on my Christmas list and got a pair that were the same as my previous ones, same size, just in a different color. Regular fit, straight leg, with straight leg opening.

They didn't fit.

Same model number on the SKU tag as my old ones, same description, same size. Same everything. Just didn't fit properly. Felt like I always needed to be pulling them up. When bending over I got the dreaded plumber's butt effect.

Brought them back to the store. Didn't have any in my size, which is 36X34, in Urban Pipeline brand. Decided to try on some Lee jeans. Picked up a 36X34 in regular fit, straight leg and tried them on. The legs were overly long. So long I would be stepping on the bottom hems of the jeans! Seemed to fit properly at the waist, though. I guess I need a Lee 36X32. Of course they didn't have that size in the store.

So now what? I suppose I'll buy them online. I started looking and discovered a whole world of jeans out there.

There are these styles of jeans:
    Skinny, slim, straight, regular, classic, athletic, relaxed, big & tall.

There are these style of jean leg openings:
    Straight, tapered, regular, tapered at ankle, slightly tapered, and boot cut.
    In addition there are 14.5 inch leg openings, 15.0", 15.5", 16.0" and 16.5" leg openings.

They either fit at the waist, slightly below the waist, or below the waist.

They can be distressed or not.

There are regular denim, stretch denim, flex denim, premium flex denim. 100% cotton, 95% cotton & 5% spandex, 92% cotton 7% polyester & 1% spandex, 90% cotton & 10% polyester, 80% cotton & 20% polyester.

Well, I've determined I am a regular denim, straight, straight leg, 15.5" leg opening, sit at the waist, 100% cotton kind of guy. (Whew!)

So I looked up the Lee Jeans I tried on at Kohl's to see their specifications. Guess what? They either fit at the waist or they fit slightly below the waist. What?!

LeeJeans4.jpg

I guess I'll keep wearing my old jeans until they disintegrate. They're already distressed.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The kids pay more for distressed jeans today. They also like to wear jeans with ankle sized boots and cuff them up. Lastly have you thought about elastic suspenders? With the boots you could just make a fashion statement.... then you could grow a beard. LoL

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kohl’s, get 30% off our already over inflated prices.

It’s time you shopped like an old man and started wearing khaki’s, ditch the blue jeans.

Old guys need the Relaxed Fit style, you know, the ones with elastic hidden in the waist. ...lets you bend as far as your old back will go.

Buy them at Wally World.

Rob

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't wear jeans anymore, I haven't for years. I wear Wrangler brand rip stop cotton olive drab pants that are comfortable, light, cool to wear, and dry quickly if they get wet as my daily work and out and about wear. (They are just the kind of pants one needs in hot and humid Florida). After them it's khaki's when I need to be better dressed.

#4 Adonia, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    36X34?... In my dreams!... The last time I bought jeans they were from Costco... Kirkland 42X32... I only buy high quality merchandise:D... I don't worry about where to put my screwdriver, I call the plumber, not of the handy man variety... I do have a pair of Khaki's with the elastic waistband... You can call me a tall and portly man (and Steve I said portly)... Brother Glen:)

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm working with a totally different keyboard here so will give this shot for some practice...

Ghetto jeans??? ;)

Did the jeans change or did you? Old jeans tend to stretch out as you do... They actually form to you and this is why new ones never seem to fit as well.

I often confess, I've weighed within about a 10lb range for the last 35 years but I've noted the weight and bulk has redistributed a bit.

Hate to tell you this but this happens when your belly gets bigger and your bottom gets flatter. ...just sayin... :)

:Laugh

Yup, sounds like you need to trim that waist and get to work on those glutes... Sorry. :)

Dude, spend the extra 10-20 bucks and lose the off-brand Urban ghettos...

Not Levis but a step up...

Again, things change, ...you probably shrinking too... ;)

This soon after Christmas I would expect the inventory to be the pits...

No, no, no, you obviously have good taste and some class left despite your age, you consider this important and need to try the jeans on for fit.

...and there are variations on how these styles will look and fit...

Please stay away from spandex polyester jeans ...I do not think that will be you. Even envisioning this is rather frightening. ;)

Yes, it is a whole new world out there when buying jeans! Been that way for about 20 years now, but who's counting. ROFL

Okay, first, trust me you need to try the pants on. Second, getting just the right jeans is an art. Us guys don't want the trouble but young women have this art down. Here is what you do. ...And BTW you don't need to bring a couple friends with you to help you decide, us guys are beyond that. :)

Wait a couple weeks for the inventory to settle because other people are currently making returns etc. also. Then, keep an open mind and pick the pants you think you might like at the size you think will fit, grab some different waist and length sizes of each style. You'll find the exact same size and brand will fit different just by changing the color or distressing.

Take about 8 pair to try on in the dressing room at a time and figure only 1 out 10 will come close to your standards. Kohls is good but you might have to go to a couple different stores before you get it right... Realize that after you finally decide on and buy about 3 pair you'll probably only like one pair a couple months later.

Finally, if you can't get that perfect fit I'm sorry to tell you that you might have to consider using a belt. :Thumbsdown

:Thumbsup You can do this!! :Thumbsup

Good luck. Hope that helps...

:Biggrin

#6 Benjamin, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A word to the wise - if you haven't already grasped this fact - once you find what you really like, immediately, IMMEDIATELY, buy more!!! Why?? Cause next time you want whatever, you'll find that that exact model/style/size/material etc. is no longer manufactured!?:Devilish:Devilish:Devilish

8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Levis 550s.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you got the boot length, sometimes boot cut. They typically are longer than the stated length for us who wore cowboy boots.

Try cabella’s or cavenders.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I aint sayin a word ;)

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've weighed about 205 lbs. for the last 4 1/2 years. I lost a bunch of weight back in 2013. I was 230 lbs.back then. I'm now at 210 lbs., mostly added weight from the holidays.

I bought these Urban Pipelines two years ago (three?). I think either the sizing on the jeans have changed, for example, they might say "fit at the waist" but they might have changed that definition. The jeans I got for Christmas definitely fit lower than the same ones I bought two years ago.

I could stand to lose 5 lbs, 10 by springtime, but I don't think it's my body that's the problem, I think it is the changing definition of sizes. Just look at the picture I posted--Lee jeans apparently has two Regular fit jeans. One that sits at the waist and one that sits lower than the waist.

I will buy whatever jeans fit me the best. The last time I bought jeans it was Urban Pipeline.

Levi's used to fit me until about 10 years ago. I could find some permutation of size/features/style that would fit me pretty well. Now they don't. Again, I suspect they've fiddled with the sizing. I have always had a "flat butt" from Levi's though.

Doubt it. I bought the same sized khakis and dress pants that fit me just the same as they always have. Also bought dress shirts and polo shirts, same fit.

You are correct. The stores are saying there will be more inventory the week of January 7th.

Well, I can try them on at the store and if they don't have the correct size I can buy them online. Obviously, I would try the jeans on first!

LOL. Ha ha! I know, I know. But if they fit...??

Well aware of this from shopping for/with my two teenage, now college aged boys.

The shopping technique you just described is pretty much the way I do it. I bring about five pairs into the dressing room not eight, but I take your point. And yes, I'm vain enough to use the multi-angle mirrors. If I find a pair that fits pretty good, I start evaluating the quality of the jeans. How sturdy is the zipper? Are the pockets deep and is the material used substantial? Gotta have deep pockets for phones these days. Double stitching or triple at stress points? Etc.

I'd probably go to Macy's because they have a better brand selection. There's always The Gap.

Speaking of belts, I bought one of those slide belts recently. They don't use the traditional metal pin inserted into the hole punched through the belt, instead they use a ratcheting track. Gives a more precise and perfect fit. Pretty cool improvement on belts.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got some Dockers that fit better than jeans and are more comfortable to wear. But a couple days a week I need jeans to wear for work.

Umm...no.

Relaxed fit looks like I'm wearing burlap bags. I still have some v-shape definition to my body so I'm gonna flaunt it.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. That's why a couple years ago when I found the Urban Pipelines I bought three pair, dark stone, light stone, and black.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Relaxed fit are too baggy on me. I used to wear Levi 505's.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, they said regular fit, straight leg, regular opening,.

Really?! I'll take a look.

16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Perhaps you should go for "Mom" jeans? Perhaps they would fit, I hear the are big, REALLY big. LOL

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, I think my criteria for having the jeans fit "at the waist" is getting into Mom jean territory.

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I appreciate your honesty. My wife is a big boned Iowa farm girl and has on occasion bought men's articles of clothing because they fit better. It's a win, win for me because I get them after she know longer wants to wear them. I just love that Cabela's parka that is now mine!

Hey, as long as the women's clothes you would buy are not too frilly, who would really know anyway? (again LOL)

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa. I'm not saying I'm going to shop for women's jeans. I'm saying the definition of "Mom jeans" are the jeans that fit high on women's waist and that by choosing men's jeans that fit "at the waist" they may start to look like they fit like "Mom jeans."

20. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whoa? Now you really have me in stitches! I'm sorry, but you do indeed seem to have a serious problem. Have you thought about just wearing shorts? LOL mom-jeans1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1