1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a church staff member's children....

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 6, 2007.

?
  1. If they are under 18 and live at home, they should.

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. If they are any age and live at home, they should.

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. They should, no matter where they live and what age they are.

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. It depends on the situation at the church, but generally they should.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. If the children don't fit into the youth group, or there is no group, they can visit elsewhere.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. I choose not to answer this question.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Adult children can attend where they want.

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  9. As long as the children attend somewhere, it is okay.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There is no way I would "make" my 20 year old son go to our church if he didn't want to and they only sit with us till they are 12 or so.

Course, I am the pastor and my wife plays the piano :).

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Front seat?? I like that! But can I ask why they chose to sit there rather than with you? I'm just honestly curious. The only time I see teens wanting to sit elsewhere is when they want to sit with their friends.

LOL - That DOES make it tough. My husband led worship today, my 17 year old was teaching Sunday School, my 15 year old was home with my sick 4 year old and so my 6 year old sat with me in the sound booth today. That DOES make for a more difficult place to put them. When they can't sit with anyone, they sit next to the pastors up front. :D

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

They had a couple of other guys sit down there with them. There were usually four to six of them. They adored the pastor for one thing. He has since gone to be with our Father. We'd told them they had to be where we could see them for another.

I don't remember how it (sitting on the front row) started, but I do remember the first Sunday they marched down there and thinking, "Oh my goodness, I hope that's not trouble!" Of course it wasn't, but I am a mother of sons donchano . . .

Edited to add -- I forgot to say that we had told them they could sit somewhere other than with us, if they sat where we could see them. They were both in HS when they moved away from sitting with us. We both worked somewhere else after the service and had to scoot fast. I was frequently late too because of the media center.

#23 mcdirector, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  4. rbell

rbell Active Member

On a given Sunday, we have 50-60 teens sitting in the first 3-4 rows. Are they sitting with friends? Yep....much like many adults will sit with their friends as well.

Just because one sits with one's friends does not mean they are misbehaving. Many of the aforementioned teens take better notes on the sermon than their parents.

5. BrotherBill

BrotherBill New Member

I just have to say when I was growing up, I didn't always attend the church my parents went too, if I was made to go where they went I wouldn't be where I am today as a Baptist with good roots;I would be a Pentcocmethcathndn (a church hopper) because thats what they did when I was growing up,I did it for a while only because I was trying to look after my mother's heath until she passed in 1987, but it was me that found First Baptist Church in Texas and later my dad joined, both of my parents have gone on, anyway I am just saying I am glad where the Lord led me to go and not my parents. :type:

God Bless

6. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Compared with:

If I am understanding you correctly (and I may not be) 21 wouldn't be a magic number either. Btw, if parents were to give their blessing for a teenager to attend a different church than that of their own because of the lack of a youth group that wouldn't be an issue of "stepping out" from parental authority. Would you have a problem then?

#26 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No, it's not magic, but most people are considered adults by then. I still maintain that if they are living at home, there would have to be house rules. Going to the same church may or may not be one of them, however.

Generally, when children reach that age, the house rules are made together with all parties having an input and agreeing.

No, I wouldn't because they are still obeying the authority God has placed over them.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The crux of the whole matter!!!

9. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Thanks for the info.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

As a pastor, if i'm in a church where my kids are not being spiritually nurtured enough to be members there or attend there...i have bigger issues to deal with.
    If they are over 18 and on their own, they should be allowed to go where the Spirit leads them.

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm hampered (as happens so often) by differences in terminology on the other side of the atlantic. What is meant by a "church staff member"? The pastor? Other elders? Deacons? Sunday School teachers? And why should they treat their children any differently to the way other church members treat theirs?

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

David, we are refering to some one who is paid and generally pastoral in nature. They may have another title though -- like director.

And I did ask the same question up the pike about why their children would be treated any differently because I don't think they should.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Exactly! Or you may have rebellion issues at home and then again you've got bigger issues to deal with.

At 18, the kids just kept going where they'd always gone. When they went to college, they found new churches in their new towns and went there. I think Joe had a few weeks where he didn't go and had to go to a couple of churches before he found one, but the habit was so entrenched it was difficult to break.

We want them going to church - a good one, not a fluffy one, but we want them in church!

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for bearing with me and explaining, and sorry I missed your earlier message.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Oh! Don't apologize for that! It's so easy to do. Happens to me all the time. The only reason I mentioned is because I wanted you to know you weren't alone in thinking the expectation should be the same across the board for all families. :D