Should members give money to their church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nunatak, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JerryL New Member

Now you are just making fun of God. The Bible doesn't say any such. You win, change God's word. Get all you can illeaglly from God's people, I care not. If they don't study and prove you, or anybody that teaches this, unfit, so be it.

2. JustChristian New Member

I'm not making fun of God. I'm making fun of YOU.

3. JerryL New Member

Making fun of me being true to God's word while you are not? Okay. Edit God's word to anything you wish, it's ok. :rolleyes:

4. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    They had restrooms back then?

5. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    The command to tithe animals and crops was not to Christians... It was to Israelites.

6. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What?! :eek:

The Levites did not pay tithes.
    You're begging the question.

What is obvious is that Abram paid tithes of all, not just of the mess tent, and any reasonable man who comes to the passage without an agenda is compelled to conclude that "all" includes silver and gold.

Now as to your spoils of war mess . . . the Apostle equated Abram's tithe with the OT commandment. That pretty much settles it in my mind.

7. JerryL New Member

And also disannuls it with the rest of the Mosaic law. With that last statement, you are stepping on your own foot if you preach tithing for Christians. Don't stop at verse 12 in Hebrews 7, go on to at least verse 19.

8. Goldie New Member

Since the Mosaic Law was between Israel and God only, and Tithing falls under this Law, not to mention the fact that it is no longer in effect as it has been replaced by the New Covenant, I'd say that no-one is obliged to give money to their church except that we are to "freely give, for freely ye have received". The Mosaic Law has been replaced by the Law of Christ. So if one feels led to give the church $1 or 50c or even $1000 - then there's nothing wrong with doing so, but to feel obliged to tithe 10% each month isn't scriptural. We need to keep in mind as well, that when giving, our right hand isn't supposed to know what the left hand is doing. What you give should be between you and God.

9. JerryL New Member

Amen. Welcome to the board, BTW.

10. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that silver and gold were included in the tithe. Whether Christians are to tithe is another debate.

11. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will say this, however, many of those who preach against the tithe do so not because of theology, but because of covetousness. Many of them would prefer the tithe to the NT standard. What one gives is a direct reflection of his love for Christ and the Gospel. 10% is begrudging in my mind.

12. JerryL New Member

That would be your opinion.

13. Goldie New Member

Hi JerryL, thanks for the welcome! :godisgood:

14. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Hebrews 7 the author specifically said "here man pay tithes.' Apparently the law was still being followed at that point.

Check your Bible again, I believe you will find they did. They tithed a tithe of their tithe to the High Priest.

Scripture does not say the tithe was money. But again, since it was pre-law, and since Melchizedek was a Semitic-Canaanite king, many theologians beilieve that Abram was following a Arab custom and not tithing to his God.

Great! Then the tithe to Melchizedek was food just as it was in the OT commandment.

15. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your problem, Standing. Too many trees in the way of your seeing the forest. :tongue3:

16. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    What trees?

Focus, Aaron.

We are talking about tithes, not trees or forests.

Scripture clearly shows us, as Goldie pointed out, that tithes were required of Israel, not other nations.

That required tithe was never changed in the Word of God to include New Testament Churches.

That being said, the only tithe's outside of the Law were those of Abram to Melchizedek.

Melchizedek received tithes of the spoils of war, so if we are to apply the principle of Abram's tithe to Melchizedek to the Church, then the only time the Church is to tithe is when they go to war and win that war. The tithe is of the spoils of war.

Abram never was said to tithe his own property, so the Church is not required to tithe their own property. Also, when the Church does go to war and win, the Church must tithe of the spoils of war, not to the Church building, but to a king of a pagan land.

Still no answer why Isaac was not said to have paid tithes? or why Jacob was allowed to demand requirements be met of God first before he gave a tenth of all?

(btw... Jacob was never said to have fulfilled his promise although we do know that God did indeed bring him back to his land.

17. lbaker New Member

Another point - if the Israelites gave money, what did they do when they and their family were supposed to eat that tithe - chow down on a tasty sheckel?

18. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Exactly! Pro-tithers better start eating their money instead of putting it into an envelope.

Also, when putting it into the envelope, it is recorded as so-and-so gave such-and-such amount as a tithe. Defeating the 'do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing' command, eh?

19. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    hmmmm...
    chow down on a shekel...

Wonder what they used as a condiment? Gold dust? or silver ore?

20. lbaker New Member

um, maybe mites or menas?