1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we trust Cain?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Ruiz, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have to wonder what Ruiz's motivation for his fervent prejudgment, despite evidence and reason, of Herman Cain is.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot has been posted so rather than quote others and respond individually, I’ll try to address it all in one post.

As to paying the women to break the ND agreement being a felony, I was presuming the payer would not hold a press conference and hand over a gigantic prop check! Of course the money would be paid under the table.

As to the idea of Cain releasing the documents related to the case, it presumes that he has documents and anyway, releasing documents is not in Cain’s best interest EVEN IF IT SHOWS his innocence. The Cain campaign dearly wants this issue to go away and releasing documents is not the way to go about this.

The radio talk show host has only said Cain behavior, “was inappropriate and awkward” and it “crossed personal boundaries.” Notice that “sexual harassment” was not a term that was used.

Chris Wilson, the pollster for the NRA who says Cain sexually harassed a young woman at a Virginia restaurant is having his story contradicted by another source. Wilson claimed that “everybody at the restaurant was aware of it.“ The source says “I did not see a lech” and “did not see him do anything inappropriate” and added that he never heard anyone discuss anything that may have been inappropriate. He said there were six people at the Ruth Chris Steak House that night.

Allegations were confirmed? Allegations by their very nature do not need to be confirmed!

Faulty logic. Settlements do not indicate the seriousness of the charges only that the person(s) being charged don’t want to proceed with a legal fight.

Yes, left after they received the settlements.

Could you provide me with a link that says the conservative talk show host said Cain said “sexual things”? Because I haven’t seen that.

And another staff member has said that he didn’t witness anything inappropriate by Cain that night at Ruth Chris’.

Yes, she said that since one of her co-workers had already filed, she figured she didn’t need to do so. Makes you wonder how offended and uncomfortable she (allegedly) was.

And there are more and more witnesses that find the allegations incredulous. Meanwhile, another woman who worked with Cain at the restaurant association, said, “I found him to be a good boss.” Christina Howard, a former lobbyist for the association, said, “I felt no problem going into his office and asking for his advice.”
    She said she didn’t recall allegations about Cain during his tenure and added, “I’d roll my eyes at anyone who would make that allegation.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...tion-fight/2011/11/02/gIQAg8MheM_story_1.html

Ruiz’ comment that sexual harassment is “like rape” and therefore these women should not have to come forward is absurd. Notice that I am not objecting to their privacy, I think they should have it, but to compare their reluctance to coming forward to the reluctance of women who have been raped to come forward is an insult to rape victims, IMO.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually ITL, even if it rises to the level of a felony (although I've never heard of a felony of disclosure, sounds more like a civil infraction) there are mitigating circumstances. The possible slander and libel (because of electronic media both probably apply) constitute a possible defamation of character against Herman Cain which would eclipse a disclosure breach.

Are there any lawyers or law students out there?

What is your judgment?

A Post Script. when there is a subjective "crossing of boundaries" there can be no sexual harassment charge made until 1) the offendee warns the offendor of his/her displeasure at least once and 2) The act is repeated.

Having been a corporate board of director member in my life time, we had to make collective corporate judgments against employees concerning these kinds of situations.

ANY term of endearment such as "sweetie" or "dear" or "honey" or act of endearment such as a hug whether innocent or flirtatious by either gender can be a "Crossing of Boundaries". In fact any act of uninvited physical contact can constitute an offense.

Once warned you may never use the term or act of endearment again without the offended's permission (which occasionally happens).

We need to see the documentation.

Thanks
    HankD

#83 HankD, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I wonder why you have not addressed any of my points. My point is that I have investigated such. The evidence is never outright. Yet, the evidence I have seen gives it validity. A quick accusation in comparison to the date, a specific accusation at the time, telling others who collaborate this event, and someone later who is quiet. It fits a legitimate complaint. As well, it fits a serial adulterer, who keeps doing this with a number of people.

What is your motivation to doubting a victim?

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Political theater. Crooks calling crooks a crook so they won't look like the biggest crook.

Haven't y'all seen this enough now to recognize it for what it is?

6. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Richard Land disagrees with you. He says the more that can be released the quicker the better. Cain is trying to keep them from being released.

The term sexual harassment may or may not have been used, but sexual advances to a subordinate is sexual harassment, no matter how you cut it.

I am not certain of our source and would love to read that source content. However, I tend to believe him in that he is most likely risking his entire career in politics.

Then why attack politico for citing those allegations and threatening them with a lawsuit for bringing up those allegations from before? Allegations don't need to be confirmed, unless of course you believe it is a legally liable act.

But my point here was that several people are making accusations. If you concede that five people have made similar accusations, then you must conclude that they are all either lying, are imagining, or are crazy. We know the two people are not crazy. We can also say that these people are very lucid. Thus, you are calling them liars.

I have the same thing I must address with Herman Cain. Either he is delusional or imagining, or is a liar.

To me, is it more likely that Herman Cain is lying than these five people? Personally, seeing the evidence I highly doubt his testimony. His slander of the people and the accusations against them lend me to believe he more for attacking people instead of handling this in the right way. A person, in my opinion, who will engage in ad hominem attack by calling people racist who disagrees with him is a person who will lie about his past. The more he responded by blaming Perry and his other attacks led me to believe he was not a man to be trusted. In fact, he is a horrible person.

The responses by the victims have not been in attack of him, but maintains that he simply did what they accuse him of doing. Insofar as character, they have handled themselves better than he has.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I strongly disagree. Women who have actually been sexually harassed will have difficulty coming forward. And why should they? Look at what happened to Anita Hill, Monica Lewinsky, Gennifer Flowers, and others. I am not saying I believed each one of them, but when women come forward, they are the ones hurt, not the man who committed those acts.

They should not come forward for those reasons.

8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

First, this is not a court of law thus there is no bill of rights.

Secondly, the courts do acknowledge anonymity in many cases. The Supreme Court recognizes times when you can remain anonymous. Why? Because the public does not need to know the people.

Finally, you are basing your answer upon a presupposition where there is not precedence to base it upon. Legal precendence allows for anonymity and anonymity does not mean they are lying. As well, they have faced the accused, for some reason you don't understand that but you really want them to fact the public so they can be maligned like Anita Hill, Gennifer Flowers, Monica Lewinsky, and others. Again, I don't believe all of their testimony, but how they were treated when they went public is a disgrace.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that "inappropriate behavior" and "crossed personal boundaries" is not necessarily sexual harassment, not necessarily a crime. It could be that Cain did something uncouth and/or moronic with no sexual overtones at all.

I don't believe I have attacked Politico.

I agree the number of people making accusations is a problem for Cain.

I'm not calling them liars. NO ONE outside of Cain and the women actually know what happened. Until we hear what actually happened it's impossible to take sides.

I agree the number of people making accusations is a problem for Cain.

Objection. Conjecture.

I would say he's an incompetent campaigner for political office.

In cases like this, the definition of words are important.

Same city, same steak house, same number of people attending. I'd say it was the same date.

Well sure. Is a woman going to file a sexual harassment case if a co-worker says, "Did you do something with your hair? It looks great." or "That perfume is very nice."? Now, if someone were to say, "Why don't we sneak back to my place and do the nasty in the shower" I'd say the woman had better file harassment charges. This is why it's very important to know exactly what happened and/or what was said.

Being hit on by a man is NOT the same thing as sexual abuse or rape. I can't believe you can even use the two terms in the same paragraph.

#89 InTheLight, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  10. targus

targus New Member

So what are we hearing now?

That the Restaurant Association has released this woman from the nondisclosure agreement and she is free to talk...

And her response is...

"I don't want to discuss the details."

This is priceless !!!

So Ruiz, what does that tell you?

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Greed of the alleged victim. They took the money (and not much, either) and were silent afterward. That is until Cain became nationally recognized.

12. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Others have, and I see no need to repeat them.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Five will get you ten it doesn't matter to him.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are still wrong. To protect the innocent there has to be openness. This man says that this did not happen so they need to come out and show it did. It is not enough to make the accusations. If they do not come out they should be sued by him in open court for slander.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It tells me it was fake smoke.

16. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

So, you are claiming slander against them, you are attacking their motives without any evidence. That seems like a Rush Limbaugh approach to this issue, not anything based on any rationality.

17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

It tells me all those who slandered this person in wanting their five minutes of "fame" were doing just that, slandering them. A rape or a sexual assault victim normally does not want to revisit the issue and that is exactly what they said in their letter.

She is not in this for political gain, she is not in this to make a point. Rather, she moved on with her life and has chosen not to get into the fray. Which is basically what she said. I think it probably validates her claim even more. Cain bashed her and she did not return the favor. I think it shows more about her and less about Cain.

#97 Ruiz, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  18. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

By definition, that is sexual harassment.

No, but Cain did and the issue is whether we should trust Cain.

And this is my main point. If all but one is lying, Cain still has a problem and is disqualified to holding the office of the President. I think it is more likely Cain is lying than all five people.

There were sexual harrasment charges filed and settled. There were inappropriate innuendos and soliciting people to go to his private bedroom. To me, this is a problem. Take any of the information we heard, they are problematic to me. The specifics are not as important because five people are verifying of his character and the nature of his character in dealing with women. That is not Presidential at all.

I disagree, we are dealing with a person's character. Therefore, we should look at other aspects of his character to determine if he is trustworthy. If he stole money, that would play into this assessment. His slander, as well, plays into my assessment. Calling people racists, attacking the Perry Campaign, and attacking the anonymous people were out of line and does play into the character issue. If the issue is whether we can trust him, I think this week he has given us reason to doubt.

Notice, as well, I have not touched his changing stories. Some of those changes were expected with this new news. However, some of this was not wise either.

I agree, but I believed that before this stuff came out. If he were to go up against Obama, he will lose.

Maybe, and that is something to consider.

I doubt someone would settle over something that miniscule. They would take it to court because if you settle over miniscule issues, you invite further petty accusations. The accusations must be significant enough for a jury to take it serious.

It is degrading and psychologically is traumatic that could have dramatic effects for years to come.

19. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

One more thing, the letter today from one of the lady's lawyers specifically states the claim against Cain was sexual harassment.

20. mandym

mandym New Member

Politico has published about 90 stories on Cain. Their infatuation of him shows their fear of him.