1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Single mother arrested, kids taken after she began homeschooling them

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by Revmitchell, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kiarre Harris hasn’t seen her two young children in three weeks.

That’s because authorities took the single mother’s elementary school-aged kids away from her and put them in foster care — and after New York’s Buffalo Public School District acknowledged in writing to Harris that it received her letters of intent to homeschool her children.

“I felt that the district was failing my children,” she told WKBW-TV, “and that’s when I made the decision to homeschool.”

Harris showed WKBW the documents she filed at Buffalo City Hall informing the district of her intent to homeschool her children, stamped “received” on Dec. 7, 2016. She also showed the station the letter she received from the school district’s homeschooling coordinator, also dated Dec. 7.

“I spoke directly to the homeschool coordinator and she told me from this point on my children were officially un-enrolled from school,” Harris told WKBW.

But then things got strange.

Harris told the station Child Protective Services called a week later wondering why her kids weren’t in school.

“I told them that my kids were homeschooled now and that I could furnish the documents if they need to see them,” Harris told WKBW.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...chooling-them-and-one-official-is-ticked-off/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I suspect there is more to the story here than just homeschooling.

3. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I truly hope so but this would not be the first time this has happened. Parents are often arrested. My brothers children were taken away for three months because his youngest daughter had a seizure while out playing and they could not find her. Had to call the cops and do a search party because they live in a rural area and had no idea where she was. They showed up at his house with no warrant, and without knocking kicked the door in. My brother is a US Army Spc. and would have opened the door if they had knocked. So, stuff like this happens. He hired an attorney and lots of people got fired, lots. But still his youngest daughter was not the same after the event and to this day suffers greatly. I added some links below as a quick search yielded many cases of this. Seems being Christian and self-sufficient is a bad combo according to CPS.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/curre...-off-grid-family-because-theyre-homeschooled/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...custody-to-return-home-on-trial-basis-135898/

I had to stop reading because it was making me so mad.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a lot in that article that tell me this is not about homeschooling. We see this:

"What’s more, there are 339 children who are home-schooled in Buffalo, and this is the first time that anyone has accused the district of reporting a parent to CPS for home schooling."

We also see that CPS has been involved with this family for domestic violence and not providing stable housing or adequate supervision. I knew there was more to the case than what was reported in the OP.