1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Six Bullets ... and their lasting effect on the integrity of a police force

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Aug 18, 2014.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this case, I'll stick with liar.

His story and the evidence are miles apart. Impossible to reconcile.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yeah, then shoot him!!

(what is the relevance?)

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is relevent as much as the robbery is relevent as it shows the state of mind of the person at the time. Not sure why that has to be explained.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drugs impair judgment, don't they? If true, it also undermines the profile of a squeaky clean gentle giant, doesn't it? His mother has called for the death penalty for the police officer.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If skin color was the only thing that mattered, that would be as good as admitting that the officer shot the young man because of his skin color.

But as was said in before, there just doesn't seem to be much history of black officers shooting large numbers of unarmed white suspects.

It's sad that even in the Body, we continue to let the enemy throw up these walls of racial division.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, smoking pot turns a person into an aggressive, violent, hot-head.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Drugs to different things to different people.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Absolutely none unless you believe it's okay to shoot someone twice in the head in order to stop them when they are unarmed.

The seeming justifications for blood by the Body in so many situations continues to be disturbing. A life was lost and several other lives may have been ruined. But a passerby of this board would probably wonder why these people of God who are supposed to love Him and their neighbors as themselves consistently seem to rejoice at someone's life being taken.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

Especially if they read your posts, oh Pious One.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Very true. And perhaps someone who has served on a police force can add some clarity. It just seems like so much more could be done to "slow down" or "stop" a suspect other than shooting to kill if he is unarmed.

Do police forces now encourage officers to shoot to kill no matter what?

Seems to stem more and more from this culture of death. I wonder what the murder statistics look like when you factor in white cops killing black men?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He actually shot him once in the head, it came out his eye.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I keep seeing reports. Is Officer Wilson(still upset that we know his name) the only one who was shooting at him?

13. Still Standing

Still Standing New Member

I have been in law enforcement, I have carried a weapon as part of my duties, and I have arrested those under the influence of drugs. I have also faced "unarmed" men who were much larger, much stronger than me. If they had charged me, (and If you've ever played football, you know that an aggressive, full-on charge is often with the head thrust down and forward) I would had shot them. No question.

Do you not realize that 7 out of every 10 police officers killed in the line of duty are killed by their own weapon after it was taken from them by a larger "unarmed" suspect, one that often felt no pain during the struggle because of drugs or alcohol?

I think this is one instance where the ignorant armchair quarterbacks and irresponsible self-righteous pansies should quietly back off. It's a whole other world of daily life-or-death you cannot begin to understand.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Welcome Still Standing. So are officers generally trained to shoot to kill unarmed suspects?

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An Uneasy PEACE?

When race riots explode, I have to wonder if there was truly any progress in the area of race relations!

True as it is, the greater numbers of blacks are not buying into this way of conducting justice, but it is the "fringe element" the "radicals" among any culture, just like with the Muslims and their terrorist break off groups. And the white has the Klan and the neo-Nazis', and the Mexican has cartels, and the Asians have their radical gangs.

So in some way, race relations has made tremendous strides in this country. You and I need to remember that the melting pot society called America, has always been looked upon by the other nations as a work in progress, and riots are social hiccups, sent to remind us that their is always going to be an underlying, smoldering fire, and when a white cop kills a black, the brush is pushed aside and the radical, anger-hate filled blacks and whites and browns and Asians join to rise up and remind America we are but one mistake or wrongdoing from setting off a series of events that could wipe out this society.

As long as America is America, there will always be an unspoken, uneasy peace; waiting for one more "flashpoint, to take us over the brink?" Still, as long as the good in the society reigns supreme, these times of anger will fall flat on their face, and once again, we will go on living with the reality of an uneasy peace, just under the brush covering the ground we walk, live, play and work upon!

What can't we all just get along? To answer that question one must realistically remeber that America is an experiment in mixing multi-ethnicities, and from time to time, there will be flare ups. I mean just look to speace, and you can see that even our sun has solar flareups from time to time!. We just need to make sure, that as a society we don't mess up and go super-nova when a flare up explodes!

I prefer to trust God with this, and believe our prayers and the peace of HIs Gospel can keep the greater good in control of the radical few! :thumbs:

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Wonder how many folks who feel as you do have prayed for God over the years to control the radical officers who seem to keep killing unarmed black people?

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right...

First, like Zaac, "Welcome to the board!"

I agree with what you said. People seem to forget that the badge and aura of authority a cop brings to the event is smoke and mirrors. Most of the time, it is more than adequate in getting support and respect from the people you are forced to approach and deal with.

However, once that mystic aura is broken, and the citizen goes from compliant to defiant, their hands are a weapon to be reckoned with. I know that as a private citizen, should someone break into my home and not leave when I caught them and ordered them out, but instead charged me, I would have no problem using my semi-automatic weapon do my speaking from that point on!

I am not frail, but I am older, and I have several serious physical disabilities, which makes a charging burgler a threat to me, and I would have the right to protect myself!

I believe this is the same with any police officer. The authority barrier can be challenged and broken by a belligerent person, and even if they do not have a weapon, cops are not hired to be fighters. For example, in the army, they taught us hand-to-hand-combat, and said there would be many times that or life or death would come down to that one on one conflict.

Like the Drill Instructors taught us, use any mean possible to kill the enemy, because once you engage them physically, you are in a one, life-and-death struggle to the end! And it is your goal to get back to base camp after the mission on your own two feet, and not in a black bag. This is why we were taught to make a quick assessment of the enemy and the area around us, and to utilize whatever was seen, to give us the upper hand in the fight!

The police want to go home after a shift. They don't want to leave a wife and three kids. Thus, they will take whatever action, and that may even be lethal, to maintain the upper hand in the battle.

When the cop and Mr. Brown met up that afternoon, both had a plan. And if, in fact, the victim did go after the weapon, that takes the cop to another level, and in order to come out of this confrontation in one piece, he made a life-and-death decision!

We read that the officer had not been previous knowledge of what Mr. Brown had just done at the market, which means the officer had no preconceived notions of Brown, other than his blocking traffic, and failing to obey the order of the officer to get to the sidewalk. It appears the officer was driving off until he saw in his mirror that Brown defied the order, and continued to walk down the middle of the street.

This kind of behavior was not only dangerous to Brown but to drivers on that road. And because Brown had just pushed around the store employee, I'm sure he felt a certain emotional high, and was not about to listen to the white cop!

From there, you know what happened. As I say, had the victim only obeyed the cop, knowing that the robbery was not the issue the cop stopped and talked to him, he'd probably be alive today! Maybe in jail for stealing whatever he stole, but alive.

Most people don't realize how many kinds of thoughts flash within your mind when a non threatening situation escalates, and turns physical! Both men were looking for a way out, believe me, and both men wanted to avoid being the dead victim. So, within both men, scenarios and training, and the fight or flight emotions were running at full speed. Which led to a tragic set of circumstances.

Let me post this: Had Brown been able to subdue the officer and get his gun and kill the officer, do you thin we'd be where we are right now?

I say yes. Because the family and the black community would be saying that Brown was a quiet, shy, good kid with good grades. He only shot the cop because he was defending himself from an aggressive white racist cop, intent on harming him! And I think we'd still have a riot, because now Brown would be in jail for killing a cop, and the community would say he was pushed into the corner by the racist cop! So now they arrested a black man for protecting himself from the white cop, who went for his gun, and had it taken from him in the struggle and an accidental discharge killing the cop, happened to happen.

Sorry ... but this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation! And Brown would have won. The only question that remains is, had he simply obeyed the order and went to the sidewalk. And that we will never know!

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Havent reports stated he was shot four times in the arm? If that is correct - that did not slow him down.

Personally, a cop aiming a firearm at me would have not only have slowed me - but totally stopped me - let alone firing his firearm.

But the evidence is starting to stack up

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What evidence is starting to stack up and what is it saying? All I've heard is two sides giving contradictory accounts.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, for one thing the accounts of 12 eyewitnesses agree with what Wilson has said.