1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Son of God" or "A son of the gods"? Daniel 3:25

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses believed in Jesus Christ ( Heb 11:26) and wrote about Him (John 5:43), which was the Torah.
    Abraham anticipated the day of seeing Jesus Christ and saw Him ( John 8:56-58)
    Even if they didn't know the name of the Son of God would be called Jesus ( Yeshuah ), but they knew Him.
    If Elahin should be translated into son of gods, it sounds like claiming all Elohim must be translated as gods as well.

Eliyahu

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Rippon does not think that highly of the Kjv, due to outdated language, but he does not see it as being a non translation!

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So belittling a thing would not be against a thing.

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It all has to do with context and sentence structure.

Now we know, from both Scripture and secular history that Nebuchadnezzar II was not stupid, that, in fact, he was a very wise king who militarily carved out quite an empire and politically administered it well. And he had, just seconds before he saw Jesus in his furnace, had ordered that the three Jews be cast into it for refusing to worship his idol. So, his mind certainly was not on God at that time.

Naturally, he was as astounded as we would be at seeing anyone walking around in a 2000 degree furnace, and, at seeing another person in it who had not been cast into it with the others. He was at a loss for rational thought for a few seconds, but he didn't instantly abandon his own gods and idols.

Neb believed that each nation or people had its own god or gods, & that some were more-powerful than others. That's why, several times, he was known to have uttered "your god' or "the god of Daniel", etc. when referring to THE God. He didn't know that THE God is THE God of ALL people, not just the Jews.

Thus, when he saw Jesus in the furnace, he could see He was much more than just another man. Jesus was likely much more splendorous than the three Jews, and Neb instinctively knew He was the One who'd preserved those men. And, in his astoundment & shock, he'd called Him "a son of the gods", a natural exclamation from a man who'd worshipped multiple gods his whole life.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not at the end of his life

Daniel 4
    33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
    34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
    35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
    36 At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.
    37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

Rather than cursing God for turning him into a cow he blessed and worshiped Him?

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The King would have seen the Son of God as being probably an angel, messenger of the gods, a god, but at end of his life, God really allowed him to know and see the true Son of God!