1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sorrow to Repentance

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Aug 24, 2007.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with TC, great post. I will add we have some good actors also. Lord knows I've seen some come down the isle of our Church that may have well had a crack pipe in their mouth while the cried and "repented". I still join them in a sinners prayer and hope/pray for the best.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It says "to Salvation".

Oh, but it is scripture, even John Wesley agrees with me.

You know the more I am on here the more I see how much I am like John Wesley in belief. He believed in a Christian being a "good" person also.

Psa 38:18For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

2Cr 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

If a person never feels any "remorse" over what he is doing while sinning, he will never repent or turn from such. Why should he, he is not condemned in doing these things.
    I say if a person never becomes sorry over committing sins, he will die in that condition and go to hell.

#42 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What do you conclude causes the sorrow?

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Grace of God which bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men,

John Wesley can say it better than I:

the sorrow which is according to God, which is a precious gift of his Spirit, lifting the soul to God from whom it flows -- "worketh repentance to salvation, not to be repented of." Yea, and let our sorrowing after a godly sort work in us the same inward and outward repentance

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can you expound on this more? I am having trouble digesting this statement. I'm not saying it's wrong, it just isn't clicking.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Did any of you realize you were lost, and going to hell in your condition before salvation?

James 4:

7: Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
    8: Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
    9: Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

#46 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course. I knew I was going to hell. I didn't want to go to hell, but I also knew I needed and wanted forgiveness for my sins. I also wanted God to be my life.
    That is how I felt before the moment I cried out to God.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My testimony goes further than this, I started preaching at 5 and was first baptized at 8 years of age. All the sin I have commited was done while at (not in) the Church. i had lead many people to Christ before realizing I had neglected my own salvation. So hes, I realized I was lost and saw my future in hell before i spent an entire night kneeling at the alter.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Did you have sorrow in your heart LeBuick, knowing you were lost as you knelt at the alter, or anytime while you were lost and knew your conditon, did you feel sorrow?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Me too and my heart was feeled with sorrow until I felt Him come in my life and give me relief.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes Bro Bob, I creid until I had no more tears to cry. i was alone with the Lord that night at the Church and not only did i feel sorrow, I repented through my sorrow and gave my life to the Lord. It was painful to realize I knew him but he didn't know me. It was joyful to realize this while I had time.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God Bless, for this is what I have been trying to say, along with Wesley. Its the words of a true convert.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So what if Wesley agrees with you; the Bible doesn't. And that is what counts.
    Because salvation is mentioned in that one verse, doesn't mean that it refers to spiritual salvation or eternal salvation; it doesn't. I already explained to you what it means. You apparently don't read my posts.
    The more you post on here the more you act like a member of a cult (and no you are not one). But your style of hermenutics is like one. You are applying Scripture that is directed solely to Christians to the unsaved!! Why are you doing that? Why are you taking Scripture out of its context.
    That is borderline heresy.
    Emotions have nothing to do with salvation. You can weep and cry all the way to Hell. Sorrow has nothing to do with salvation, and you can't show me one verse in the Bible that says it does. If that is your view of salvation then your are preaching a false gospel. Feeling does not affect a person's salvation one iota. Where does it say one must feel sorrow or remorse? I have asked this question of you many times now. But I don't get an answer. Like the Charismatics, Bob, you give me experience. Have you also left the foundations of the Bible and become a Charismatic, now relying on experience and no longer the Word of God. Where does it say that sorrow is necessary for the salvation of a person?
    Where does it say that sorrow is part and parcel of repentance?
    You will die and go to hell if you believe that you have to be sorry for your sins in order to be saved. That is not what the Bible teaches. It teaches:
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." There is no sorrow in that verse. Are you adding to the Scripture things that are not there. What will you add next--infant baptism? Purgatory? What Bob?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

But Wesley did use the Bible and long after you and I both are gone, his sermons will "live on", and you and I will be dead.

I should take it as a complimemt when you call my theology heresy, a man who believes the saved can die in the act of adultery and go to heaven, and you call what I said heresy? Come on now!!

#54 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
  15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And Mohammed's sermons live on too. So what! Wesley is a man. I don't use him for the same reason I don't go to the ECF when debating Catholics. The Bible is my authoriy not a man. Why are you so reluctant to use the Bible Bob. This is out of character for you.
    So now you deny eternal security, one of the cardinal doctrines of most Baptists?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I used the Bible and so did Wesley, that is why I used him for he gave Book, Chapter and verse.

Also, you already know I don't deny eternal security. You do have a way of going around and around DHK; You know as much as we disagree, I don't think there is any hatred between us, I know there is not on my part.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Wesley is not reliable as a Bible Commentator/theologian .

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

And just what qualifies you to make a statement like that. Would you rather quote Calvin, I suppose?

Anyone who was not "sorry" over their sins, gives me pause to be honest.

I sure was sorry I had sinned against God and begin to believe I had sinned the day of Grace away. I shed a many a tear as I sought forgiveness of my many sins. You cannot repent without God, you may seek it with tears but it still takes God to save you and lift you out of your sinful ways and cast your sins away.

#58 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Since when does experience rule over the Bible?
    Isn't the Bible our sole rule of faith and doctrine?
    If so, then why does your experience trump the Bible?
    Your statement is: "I sure was sorry..."
    Where does the Bible say you must be sorry in order to be saved?
    That is the question you must answer.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey, Bob. I "feel your pain."

Is that your salvation testimony? Just wanta know cause God answered my first such prayer. I'm not sure if everyone's experience is the same, but my sin was a burden until that one day in April 1962 when I repented of mySELF and gave my life to Christ.

I won't say I haven't been tempted since. I wasn't led into the ministry could be one reason. Y'all aren't tempted like we are, are you? I mean, it's your life and livelihood, right? (I'm saying that is a blessing in case you doubt my motives. I sit here now and wish I had the gifts of a pastor!)

Ya know Bob, I even got to a place where I thought living a "sinless" life was easy. This may be a "cautionary tale" for some. I got the idea that God owed me a nice cushy job right where I was serving Him in Memphis. Then suddenly my company went bankrupt and I was on the street and, boy, was I bitter! Many bad things happened -- all for the good as it turns out -- but I finally realized what a "worm" I still was! God be the glory that today I stand on the Rock of my salvation!

skypair

#60 skypair, Aug 25, 2007