1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sources Identify Major as Gunman in Deadly Shooting Rampage at Fort Hood

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Kaffee: I want the truth!
    Col. Jessep: [shouts] You can’t handle the truth!

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a @#&* what you think you are entitled to.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe if you read all my postings on this thread, you will see that I agree with you. The rolling eyes shows I was being sarcastic.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Wow! I sure hope you don't intend this as a threat, as that would be against the rules.

You might need to step back from the keyboard a little while and get control of your emotions before you make yourself look even more foolish.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As W.C. Fields would say, "Go away, kid, you bother me."

You are now the only individual with the dubious honor of being on my ignore list.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if this was for me or against me, but that was the best monologue in the movie. I shouted out when I first heard it.

For the record, I don't see the attempt to hide a death caused by a cruel method of discipline as the same thing as recognizing the very real dangers of human nature in its response to acts of war. It's just like Hollywood to put words like that in the mouth of the antagonist.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'll admit: I'm conflicted.

There are Muslims who assure me, that their opinions are nothing like what was espoused by the animal who killed these soldiers.\

So...are they sincere, or am I being lied to?

I really don't know.

On one hand...I could be "intolerant" and "closeminded." I might be seen as one who does not think highly of Muslims who genuinely love their country.

On the other...I just might be saving scores of American lives, by being proactive as it relates to those who would jump on the bandwagon of "actions that are hurtful to America."

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which, of course, we Christians cannot do since have been given the task of spreading the gospel and persuading people to come to Christ Jesus in repentance and faith.

8. targus

targus New Member

Robert, you were doing so well.

Please don't fall back into your old ways. :)

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We seem to be desperate in our desire to recognize the muslim religion as somehow acceptable.. It is not acceptable to me in any way shape or form.. On this issue, I am closed minded, intolerant and, as best I can be, ready. I am wary of anyone that hates my Lord.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is not just your Lord they hate but the "infidels" who follow Him. And they put essentially all of European extraction in that category.

11. OldRegular

I believe Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem expressing the same sentiment in regard to the British soldiers but I am having a "senior moment" and can't recall the name. Some of you middle agers out there may recall. I am afraid that the younger generation never studied literature.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I guess you must feel that way toward the majority of people in the world - Muslim or not.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Would it be, Shillin' a Day?

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Did you read the posts Nonsequitur wrote? For some unknown reason he seemed to be attacking everyone for everything. I was shocked and puzzled, especially when he stated he would like to meet Aaron in person!

I don't feel like I am doing anything to put myself in the liberal camp anymore. I guess Nonsequitur just doesn't get it.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I feel like were living in the 1300s when I read threads like this.

What this islamic terrorist did was abhorrant and he is exactly who the war on terror is supposed to be fighting. However, the responses here about muslims in general and the Japanese interrment makes me realize how sinful human nature is despite Christianity and how fear overrides our concept of justice as expressed in the US Constitution. For a board with members who claim to hold the Bible and the US Constitution in high esteem, I find this highly inconsistent.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,"

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven."

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked."

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There also appears to be the question of whether mental illness was involved. Having spent the last month studying psychiatry in an acute psychiatric ward, it is quite scary how out of control folks are when they are acutely psychotic compared to when their illness is being treated.

17. OldRegular

Then the Major had been psychotic for months according to reports!

18. OldRegular

No its Tommy, about the British soldier, shunned until needed for war. I recalled an old English literature book I had and found it there. The part I recall is as follows:

For it's Tommy this and Tommy that, an'
    "Chuck him out. the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country"
    when the guns begin to shoot;

Don't know whether you saw"The Caine Mutiny" or not but the defense lawyer who won the case expressed a similar sentiment about the peace time military when he entered the celebration party a little inebriated.

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

In the 90's there were a few incidents of skinhead violence on or near Army posts. The Army went into high gear with the War College producing studies, advising commanders what to look out for in their troops that would indicate a problem, and I think it has pretty well faded as a concern. They didn't ban white people from enlisting btw ;)

They should do the same with regard to Muslim service members. Use extra caution and give leaders guidelines that could head off any more Hasan-type incidents. They took action under similar circumstances when the problem troops were native born Americans. They should (and already should have) do the same with Muslims.

I have read that 2nd generation Muslims (born in the US) are frequently more militant than their parents. That was evidently the case with Hasan.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is that how we're justifying racial stereotyping these days?
    Are you aware of how ridiculous that sounds? Probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.