1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spiritual interpretation ....pt.7

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Christ begins to rule, he will rule in the midst of his enemies. When he is finished, there will be no enemies. Even death and hades itself will be cast into the lake of fire. Do you really believe that the world today is being ruled with his rod of iron?

From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. -Heb. 10.13

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What if it was the end of the theocracy at that time?

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...he rules now in the midst of his enemies,,,Psalm 110 is quoted 6x in the NT.....rod of iron rule....every idle word spoken will be judged on the last day...not one sin will be unpunished.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like him too... Definitely agrees with what I think... Now if I only had is rhetoric expertise?... Well I can dream can't I?... Brother Glen:)

5. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re-reposting -

From another thread -
    Covenanter wrote:
    Likewise it is often a characteristic of those who hold to a literal (grammatical-historical) method to dismiss those who hold to a SPIRITUAL method guided by Jesus (John 8:52-59 2 Corinthians 3:1-6 ) to dismiss our teaching as allegorical - without Biblical understanding.

Everyone, saved or unsaved, can basically read & understand the Scriptures by the literal (grammatical-historical) method. Read it like a history book, or even a novel. The Scribes & Pharisees excelled at that, & never heard its message.

We need the guidance of the New Covenant Scriptures to lead us into a right understanding of the Old Covenant Scriptures, and particularly Old Covenant prophecy as it is fulfilled in & by our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ.

The OC prophets were very clear on the Messianic hope of a glorious future for Israel, which those who insist on the literal (grammatical-historical) method postpone to a yet future millennium.

However the New Covenant writers, guided by Jesus himself in his last week teaching & parables, hold out no such hope for for the carnal nation, instead teach a glorious hope for all who repent & believe in Jesus regardless of ethnicity.

The literal (grammatical-historical) method which focuses on the promises to national Israel, rather than Christ & his redeemed church of all nationalities, is WRONG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a new Covenant established with death of Jesus, and His resurrection, but the new world order waiting until he comes again!

7. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm happy that you believe in a new covenant, but where do you find the "new world order" in Scripture?

I can find "world" & "order" in a verse in the ESV:
    John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
    17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The "world" of these verses (Gk kosmos) is the world of the Gospel age in which we are living, not a future world.

8. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I challenged Y1 on referring to the "new world order" but I see Kyredneck refers to the "new creation order." Again a term not found in Scripture, but Ky referred to a relevant Scripture, 2 Peter 3:7-13. I think Y1 & Ky are referring to the New Heaven & New Earth (NH&NE) but Y1 may mean a future millennium.

To answer PB -
    I'm glad you agree that Peter teaches a Preterist hermeneutic. He is referring to the prophesied destruction as being at hand. If you read the previous chapter, you will see that Christ was preaching righteousness through Noah, & that only those who heard entered the ark & were saved. He uses this an analogy for baptism, whereby those baptised into Christ are saved. And those baptised into Christ will be delivered from the destruction that is at hand.

When we come to Ky's text, 2 Peter 3, we see the scoffers mocking Jesus' prophecy of his coming. Peter asserts that they will certainly be judged. The language of the translation makes us think of the final coming of the Lord Jesus at the end of time, to raise the dead & bring about the NH&NE.

However, we need to understand that under the old covenant order the tabernacle, & subsequently the temple were the meeting point of heaven & earth. Exodus 25:8 1 Kings 8:10-11 but see Acts 7:47-50

What are the elements that will melt?
    Gal. 4:But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
    They are the elements of the old covenant worship - the Law & the rituals that were prophesied to come to an absolute end in the lifetime of this generation.

The earth (Gk ge) is commonly used for the land of Israel, & in the context was about to be burnt up in the prophesied destruction.

Peter looks beyond that to a future righteous NH&NE, but for his hearers - & those Jews who rejected the Gospel message, that day was fast approaching.

#28 Covenanter, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He has been ruling ....it takes time for the Kingdom growth to occur...it is happening as we speak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another tweet.....with no support. You still have not answered the questions.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be the time where there is global peace, just Jesus worshipped, a real one world religion!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the scriptures refer to the days when the Second Coming happens, and there is a removal of the Curse, as there is paradise reborn on earth at that time!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be the Kingdom established at His Second Coming, in fulfillment of daniel prophecy of Him destroying all worldly Kingdoms, and new heavens and earth at end of that time!

14. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have replied in detail to many of your posts.

Please answer these questions without posting one of your "thoughts."

Does my detailed reply to you, Ky & PB make sense to you?

Do you reject the system of theology that sees Israel as the focus of prophecy, rather than Jesus?

Do you look for "the Kingdom established at His Second Coming" as the NH&NE, or a complicated dispensational system?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The focus of prophecy is Jesus, and the Kingdom will come to whole earth when he institutes that at His Second Coming!

• Like Like x 1
  16. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He references 2 Peter 3 to show there is a future-to-us "consummational" new heavens and new earth. Where is that in scripture if not in 2 peter 3? That is fulfilled, though, right?

17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Tim 4:1 KJV
    Because he hath appointed a day, (singular) in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. Acts 17:31

What day did that take place in 70 AD? ----- I forgot.

18. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is not in the midst of his enemies. He is in heaven. Jesus received the authority to rule after his resurrection. What happens when he returns?

"He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it. "The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.' "'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.' "The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.' "His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.' "Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.' "His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?' "Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.' "'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!' "He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them-bring them here and kill them in front of me.'" (Luke 19:15-27)

He reigns with his faithful servants. As bad as the destruction of Jerusalem was, there judgment is going to be much worse in the day of judgment. If verse 27 is the destruction of Jerusalem and not the day of judgment, then so is the part about the servants. We both know that isn't.

19. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly do not believe that the "all things" Peter had in mind was the destruction of Jerusalem. I was merely pointing out that Preterists have no right to claim that verse as a proof text for a new heavens and new earth in their future because their hermeneutic does not allow it. "At hand" means exactly that according to Preterists. That was my point. You can say Peter was looking for this or that, but you cannot prove that. All we have is what he wrote.

20. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is happening as we disagree and quarrel over whether there really is even a literal kingdom or not....hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.