1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

State bans prayer at Christian institutions

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Illinois High School Association is being challenged on a policy that bans Christian schools from offering a prayer or any religious message over their public address systems when they host association events on their own property.

"It is blatantly unconstitutional for public school officials to come into private schools and enforce a policy prohibiting them from expressing what's central to their religious beliefs," said David Cortman, senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, or ADF.

The ADF wrote this week to association chief Marty Hickman after several private schools complained about the new restrictions. WND left a message with Hickman seeking comment, but the call was not returned today.

More Here

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

oh good grief! The inmates really do run the asylum sometimes.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Yup! Don't they though!

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I'll bet they wouldn't even attempt that at a Muslim school without dire consequences. Christians are the target for all kinds of prejudice and discrimination.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yup!!! :laugh: :laugh:

After googling the elements of this story I see Wing Nuts is the only ones carrying it. It doesn't seem real but if true they can count on my help to counter this decision. I sure hope someone organizes the opposition and lets us know how we can help.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anybody else notice where this is happening? Illinois, of course. Mr. Obama's state. Seems Illinois is chuck full of problems.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're right about that! Muslim schools around here don't want to answer to anyone. Yet they want to buy land and have permission to build schools.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and kids have often heard me refer to this state we're currently living in as the most communistic state we've ever lived in...thanks for the rest of y'all finally noticing.

There are apparently a few others that are worse; some New England states and Hawaii come to mind....

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This story is also advertised on the Alliance Defense Fund, with a copy of the letter they sent the IHSA: http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/news/story.aspx?cid=4850

Seems to me, the state infringed upon the rights of the private institutions. The actual answer would be for the state association to stop using the private institutions' locations for their events; or for the private institutions to tell the state they can no longer use the private institutions' locations, and let them figure out where to hold them instead.

And actually, doing a little more research, I'm surprised it took WND almost 2 months to pick up on this story: http://reagansports.com/news/?p=882

#9 Don, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The title of this thread is misleading. It appears that the state will not allow private Christian institutions at all. The fact is, it is talking about a specific situation where a larger intraleague event is occuring.

Still, it seems excessive to me. If a Christian school hosts, I see no harm in letting them pray. If a public school is host, no prayer. Seems fair to me, but what do I know?