1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday School or Small Groups

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Speedpass, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Heavens, you have nailed it!!!

God bless you...... BTW, Ive seen teachers actually teach wrong doctrine to adults as well.

#41 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want the parents and children there. But lacking that I will gladly reach the kids. We are not "putting up with that" we are thankful for the opportunity.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How about Calvin LOL?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not sure I read some of the postings correctly, but it is the parent's job to teach their children about the Lord and Scripture. It is the parent's job to be with the children in the local church. Pastors and Sunday School are supplemental, not the parents.

Parents that use a local church as a baby sitting service should hang their heads in shame, and the local church should not allow it.

#44 saturneptune, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said! :thumbsup:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom ...I am not trying to be harsh with you, however this is a pet peeved of mine. Ive observed 1st hand parents driving up to churches and dropping the kiddies off and then taking off only later to pick ihem up after service. My own soul was very wounded by this ...these kids have no supervision, no roll model, no family interaction, no spiritual bonding with the parents....my wife refers to it as "the dump & run ":BangHead:

7. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not being harsh. You think that kids with no spiritual imput at home should not be able to get any at church either. I do.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably would not invite him to a bonfire Bible study ;)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that & you know that. Let me ask you this...do the parents that do the dump & run, are they even members of the church?

#49 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you did.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didnt answer my question & yes I would have a serious talk to these parents. Also if they were ignorant of the scriptures, then its the job of the Pastor to teach them (Both Parents & Children) and allow the parents to then reinforce it with the kids. IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE CHURCH TO TEACH THE KIDS..... ITS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY.

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

IMHO this discussion of who should be the "prime educators" of children is getting way off of the OP's topic.

OTOH, I will relate this much & then get off my soap box.

From about the mid 1970's to about the mid 1980's, I ran a SS bus route for the church of which I was a member in the city of Clarksville, TN.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Clarksville's location, it basically straddles the US Army's Fort Campbell.

During the period that I ran that bus route, I had untold numbers of Fort Campbell children ride that bus, but due to the very transient nature of military dependent families, most of those children never rode on the bus for more than 1 - 2 years at the most.

Granted, I'd venture to say that some of the parents who let their children ride the bus were just wanting to have a "baby sitting service," but we let them come any way. After all, these children were given the Word of God (which, BTW, does not return void!!) both in SS and in the childrens' church.

I tried to make it a point to visit most of the childrens' parents after their child visited the bus a time or two. Believe me, they were some of the both sweetest and heart-wrenching visits I ever had!! You see, even the most hardened adult will listen to you if he/she sees that you have a genuine interest in his/her child. I could write a book about the way God blessed me through that particular type of bus ministry!

Was each and every child saved who rode on that bus? I don't know---nor do I know whether or not any of those parents came to have a real saving relationship with Jesus Christ. But this much I do know - Jesus invited children to come to Him (Mt. 19:13-14); in fact, Matthew 18 talks much about the importance of reaching children.

Yes, ideally, the parents ought to be the prime educators of their children, but OTOH, if they do not teach them to love and serve Jesus, some one else needs to -- if not, the enemy will gladly teach them the exact opposite!!!!

As promised, I now leave my soap box.

13. Herald

Herald New Member

If your bus route was geared mainly towards bringing to church unsaved children it could be categorized as part of evangelism. That type of effort should be commended. I am more concerned about the "Christian" parent that drops their children off at church or youth group and expects that to be the sum total of their biblical education.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what about those children and youths that come who have little to no christian influence apart from Sunday at church? We have many who have just one spouse saved, or neither saved yetwho allow their kids to come to our church!