1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supposedly "KJV Only" Refuted At This Link

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Hark, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strong's Concordance is listing a number for a Greek word that Beza inserted into his Greek NT text, but it is not the Greek in all known preserved Greek NT manuscripts.

According to KJV defender Edward F. Hills, this KJV rendering “shalt be” at Revelation 16:5 came from a conjectural emendation interjected into the Greek text by Beza (Believing Bible Study, pp. 205-206). Edwards Hills again acknowledged that Theodore Beza introduced a few conjectural emendations in his edition of the Textus Receptus with two of them kept in the KJV, one of them at Revelation 16:5 shalt be instead of holy (KJV Defended, p. 208). Hills identified the KJV reading at Revelation 16:5 as “certainly erroneous” and as a “conjectural emendation by Beza” (Believing Bible Study, p. 83).

In an edition of the KJV with commentary as edited by F. C. Cook and printed in 1881, William Lee in his introduction to the book of Revelation referred to “the conjectural reading of Beza’s last three editions” at Revelation 16:5 (Vol. IV, p. 463). James White agreed with Edward Hills that Beza’s reading at Revelation 16:5 was a conjectural emendation, a change “made to the text without any evidence from the manuscripts” (King James Only, first edition, p. 63). James White claimed: “Every Greek text--not just Alexandrian texts, but all Greek texts, Majority Text, the Byzantine text, every manuscript, the entire manuscript tradition--reads ‘O Holy One,‘ containing the Greek phrase ‘ho hosios’” (second edition, p. 237). William W. Combs maintained that “Beza simply speculated (guessed)” in introducing this reading (Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal, Fall, 1999, p. 156). J. I. Mombert listed Revelation 16:5 as one of the places where he asserted that “the reading of the A. V. is supported by no known Greek manuscript whatever, but rests on an error of Erasmus or Beza” (Hand-book, p. 389). In 1844, Samuel Tregelles maintained that the reading adopted by Beza at Revelation 16:5 “is not found in any known MS” (Book of Revelation in Greek, p. xxxv). Jonathan Stonis asserted that Theodore Beza “modified the Traditional Text against manuscript evidence by dropping the words, ’Holy One’ and replacing them with ’to be’” (Juror’s Verdict, p. 60).

The earlier English Bibles of which the KJV was a revision did not have “and shalt be” at this verse. Was the KJV a revision of earlier Bibles that put in doubt the eternal future of the Lord Jesus Christ according to a consistent application of Waite‘s claim? Tyndale's New Testament, Coverdale’s Bible, Matthew's Bible, Great Bible, Whittingham's New Testament, and the Geneva Bible all have "holy" while the Bishops’ Bible has “holy one.” Bullinger indicated that 1624 edition of the Elzevirs’ Greek text has “the holy one” at this verse (Lexicon, p. 689). In his commentary on the book of Revelation, Walter Scott asserted that the KJV’s rendering “shalt be” was an unnecessary interpolation and that the KJV omitted the title “holy One” (p. 326). In his 1776 Exposition of this book, John Gill wrote: “The Alexandrian copy, and most others, and the Vulgate Latin and Syriac versions, read holy instead of shalt be; for the purity and holiness of Christ will be seen in the judgments which he will exercise” (p. 183).

KJV-only author D. A. Waite wrote: "How Bible-believing Christians can allow guesswork and conjecture to determine their Bible is beyond me, but they do" (Defending the KJB, p. 30). Waite wrote: “Conjecture or guess is completely out of place in any treating of the New Testament” (Foes, p. 125). Do Waite's own statements apply to this verse? Is Waite in effect defending a conjecture as being “theologically superior?” Does Waite accept the textual conjecture as found in the KJV as his final authority or does he accept the Greek word or words in the preserved manuscripts as his final authority? David Cloud asserted: “To think that we are left to conjecture the original text of the Scripture is a blatant denial of divine preservation” (Bible Version Question/Answer, p. 276). John William Burgon as edited by Edward Miller indicated that “the determination of the text of Holy Scripture” should not be “handed over” . . . “to the uncertain sands of conjecture” (Traditional Text, p. 229). Maurice Robinson maintained that “the quantity of preserved evidence for the text of the NT precludes conjectural emendation” (New Testament, p. 554). Emanuel Tov asserted that “whoever suggests an emendation by definition rejects the preserved evidence and, instead, resorts to his imagination” (Textual Criticism, p. 294).

At Revelation 16:5, do holders of various KJV-only views seem to deny or undermine their own view of preservation as they defend a conjecture? Is there any sound evidence that every generation of believers had access to the reading found in the KJV at Revelation 16:5 or that it was used by all the churches throughout the centuries? Is there a multiplicity of textual witnesses that support the new reading introduced by Beza at Revelation 16:5? Does Beza’s reading faithfully reflect the majority reading of the thousands of Greek New Testament manuscripts?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, the HOLY SPIRIT has given modern translators tools to work with that their forebears never had, such as these computers & easy worldwide communications, plus many more manuscripts & other Scriptural materials found between 1600 & now. Plus, they have all the knowledge of their forebears & everything else that became known between 1600 & now. So, if your supposition were correct, it'd be in every newer Bible translation.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure if it were Beza's or not, but it was definitely someones.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just seems that some see the Lord as basically freezing all textual criticism and tools and technology to be used to discern the Bibler at 1611!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was not part of the original text!

6. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those that wonder what Logos1560 is referring to is at this link below.

King James Bible - Job Chapter: 40

The symbol * next to Job 40:15 is the one that has that marginal note when you click on it; a small window will pop up.

Thank you for sharing that, but no. Not worse because the way it is worded with "as some think". Thus it is left to the reader to discern the verse in the context of the message of what a behemoth is by its description. Obviously, the educated scholars of their days were in the same state of denial that dinosaurs existed with mankind from the beginning. as many are today

Since we are talking about the actual written scripture themselves that came with no footnotes nor marginal notes, then it is the scripture that proves or reproves all things as the scripture says. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. KJV

If we treat footnotes & marginal notes as the word of God in all those Bible versions regardless of how they run against scripture; the church would be more messed up than they are with the different translations today where modern bibles support false teachings but the KJV does not.

But as it is, the KJV translators did refer in their marginal notes in respect to some that thinks the behemoth is an elephant even though scripture does not describe it as an elephant but as a dinosaur since the elephant does not have a tail that moves like a cedar which is a tree, but a certain kind of a dinosaur does.

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for fun.

WilliamTyndale was not the first to use ester/easter in an English Bible -- at least Anglo-Saxon is Old English, even if it is quite unlike our modern dialect. The West Saxon Gospels use “Easter” (ēasterdaeges, ēastro, ēastron). I found modern (circa 1900) printings of these Gospels on Archive.org. I looked at a random verse in each Gospel and here is what I found. As posted below in three lines are three Bible versions: West Saxon, Wycliffe, and King James (in that order).

Matthew 26:2
    Wite gē þæt æfter twām dagum bēod ēastro, and mannes Bearn byþ geseald þæt hē sī on rōde āhangen.
    Ye witen, that aftir twei daies pask schal be maad, and mannus sone schal be bitakun to be crucified.
    Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.

Mark 14:16
    Pā fērdon his leorningcnihtas, and cōmon on þā ceastre, and fundon hit eall swā hē sǣde, and gegearwodon þā ēastron.
    And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
    And hise disciplis wenten forth, and camen in to the citee, and founden as he hadde seid to hem; and thei maden redy the pask.

Luke 2:41
    And his māgas fērdon ǣlce gēre tō Hierusalem on ēasterdaeges frēolstīde [i.e. Easterday feast-tide].
    And his fadir and modir wenten ech yeer in to Jerusalem, in the solempne dai of pask.
    Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.

John 2:13
    And hit wæs nēah Iudea ēastron, and sē Hǣlend fōr tō Ierusalem.
    And the pask of Jewis was nyy, and Jhesus wente vp to Jerusalem.
    And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

James Wilson Bright, an English professor at Johns Hopkins University, who edited these four editions, wrote, “The first English version of the Gospel [preceded] the Wiclifite Bible by four hundred years...” He also says that “the Latin manuscript used by the translator of this Gospel has not yet [1904] been identified...” This comment shows they believe it was translated from Latin rather than Greek, but that it was not translated from the Vulgate.

For any who wish to go beyond “fun,” the Bosworth-Toller Anglo-Saxon Dictionary Online can be found HERE.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To clarify & correct your error, Passover as a whole is 8 days long when Passover is the 14th day & the 7 days of unleavened bread starts on the 15th day when only unleavened bread are to be eaten in those days.

Exodus 13:.6 Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, and in the seventh day shall be a feast to the Lord. 7 Unleavened bread shall be eaten seven days; and there shall no leavened bread be seen with thee, neither shall there be leaven seen with thee in all thy quarters. KJV

As the start of the Passover event, the Passover day on the 14th when they offer the Passover Lamb & feast on that with unleavened bread, then the 7 days of unleavened bread starts on the 15th from that day forward to the seventh day as a feast together with the Passover day; thus 8 days..

Correct. I agree since there are actually 8 days of unleavened bread but the first day with the lamb offering on the 14th is not counted with the designated 7 days of the unleavened bread that starts on the 15th when they are not to eat lamb then.

9. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your source of information is dubious for the reason of implying holy was to be translated from the Greek

Let us compare the 2 translation & you tell me where they got "holy" from in the Greek.

Revelation 16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus. KJV

Revelation 16:5 Then I heard the angel in charge of the waters say:

“You are just in these judgments, O Holy One,
    you who are and who were; NIV

HTML Bible Index - King James Version - Strongs Concordance - Frames Version

Matthew 4:5 as holy from "hagios" as "from hagos (an awful thing) (compare agnoV - hagnos 53, 2282); sacred (physically, pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially, consecrated):--(most) holy (one, thing), saint."

Matthew 7:6 has holy from "hagion" as " neuter of agioV - hagios 40; a sacred thing (i.e. spot):--holiest (of all), holy place, sanctuary."

Not finding anything close to it in any of the Greek words to signify holy to the Lord ( even though He is holy ) other than a reference to the Lord Himself for Revelation 16:5, but not any Greek word for holy.

Maybe your source has it as such in the Alexandrian manuscripts? Do cite link, but the charge against the KJV is dubious as if they added it in there when the phrasing allows for it, but there is none for inserting holy.

As it is the NIV reads incomplete as if "you who are and who were;" leaves Him not coming again at all when He is.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, as Logos does not agree with the Greek critical text, as he is Kjvp, as also likes the Geneva and Nkjv!

11. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not when they cannot defend how they do modern Bibles in changing words & dropping words & adding words enough to get their own copyright. The love of money is the root of all evil there, brother.

I have to disagree. We are not to go by marginal notes but the written scripture themselves. It is the scripture as kept by those that loved Him & His words and Jesus told us a prophesy from the Father that we will need to discern which scripture or Bible of the people that loved Him to keep His words or they did not love Him to keep His words.

John 14: 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. KJV

Was the apostle John writing to just fill in the pages or is this something important that Jesus wanted us to know?

Jesus goes on addressing the words of His disciples even.

John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. KJV

So regardless of footnotes & marginal notes & commentaries or whatever; it is His words & the words of His disciples that we are to follow by & if they change the meaning of His words to suit false teachings like Gnosticism which is also known to be around the area of Alexandria, where poetic licensing was also known in Alexandria, and yet the disciples at Antioch studied for a year in the scripture ( Acts 11:26 ), between the 2 known sources of documents, I'd go with Antioch, thanks to the Lord.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will put the scholarship of those who did the Nas and Nkjv up against the 1611 Kjv team!

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, Hark, please be so kind as to address Logos' post above.
    No, the love of money is A root of ALL SORTS of evil, as the CORRECT translation of 1 Tim. 6:10 says. And copyrights mean nothing. Remember, the KJV is copyrighted in England, the holders being the Universities of Oxford & Cambridge, the Ayers & Spottiswoode Co., & Harper Collins. (Owned by Ruppert Murdoch) The words are usually different from the KJV's(not counting language changes) because the newer translations are often more-accurate.

The marginal notes were placed there by the same people who wrote the text. They show an alternate translation of the same word or phrase. The AV 1611 is chock-full of them. For instance, there's the one for the Hebrew helel in Isaiah 14:14-"Or, O day starre."

And Jesus didn't speak, nor Paul write, in English. But Jesus knew English would exist later.

Antioch was also a great center of idolatry.

God preserved ALL the Scriptural mss. we have, including Vaticanus & Sinaiticus, much-maligned by the KJVO bunch. The stories of their respective preservations shows God's power at work.
    Most MVs are made from an eclectic mix of most known mss.

Just face it-GOD IS NOT LIMITED to the KJV in His presenting His word in English. As the language changed, He caused His word to be rendered in the most-modern English of its day, from Wycliffe's 1384 edition, to Tyndale's, to the KJV, to now.(NKJV, NASV, ESV, etc.) And there were many other translations contemporary with those I named.
    Your KJVO myth is entirely man-made & phony as a Ford Corvette. I have posted the origin of its current edition elsewhere in this forum.

Now, are you going to try to counter Logos' post about Rev. 16:5 more ? So far, you're not doing too well.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Kjv translate it as the great God and Savior as meaning same person, Jesus, or not?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    six hour warning - this thread will be closed no sooner than 1130 pm EST / 830 pm PST

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Feel free to start a new one