1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tax Status and Freedom of Pulpit. Has it come down to this?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Jul 31, 2014.

?
  1. Would gladly give up tax exempt status.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. We need to obey the government, so I'd hold the exemption and not preach against their wishes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I do not like the rules to be tax exempt, to binding.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Using the pulpit to influence a voter is a sin. Shame on that pastor!

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. If we give up the right to preach our heart, we give up preaching the Gospel.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. We are moving closer to censorship in the pulpit.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  7. Regardless of tex exempt status, we are closer to be quieted in the pulpit.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. No opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nothing here for me, here is my point!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. We no longer have a tax exempt status at our church!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach the gospel, not politics. Preach the gospel and politics will not need to be preached.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed....

However, that would be no fun. Ask Jeremiah Wright? Obama's pastor.

Actually ctb , we should be able to preach the Gospel, and there are times it will relate to political issues. And don't forget American churches are responsible for getting out the vote, and serving as polling stations. But, it's a two-edged sword?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've often said that if you don't have enough content from the Bible to preach on, so that one must end up preaching on politics, then you need to revisit your homiletical model.

This IRS rule is about endorsing candidates from the pulpit. It goes both ways: Conservative churches endorsing RNC candidates and progressive churches endorsing DNC.

No pastor should ever, ever endorse a candidate from the pulpit. It is a terrible practice to get into and a clear violation of Scripture imho. Speaking on moral issues is one thing, but speaking on purely political ones is entirely another. There is a dangerous trend when Christianity is united with nationalism.

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree,

.... and my pastor saw the error in his ways, although it took a few years to come to head. He no longer does this, and he is better for it! Still, any pastor worth their calling is going to point out the needs or problems in the country and how God is the answer to those needs.

I can't see how a pastor can just avoid preaching the need to keep school prayer in school; or to keep In God We Trust as our motto! There are also so very good histroy lessons that tie nicely into a spiritual lesson.

On national holidays like the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc., those are days to preach a patriotoc message, and is that wrong?

I think the church needs to be free enough to address the evil in drugs, sex crimes, corruption etc., and how the believer should react to such things! Was it wrong on the sundays post 9/11 for pastors to preach and pray in order to lift up the morale and spirits of a frightened people?

During WW2, was it wrong to whip up the people to support the needs of the nation by bying bonds or vounteering, or spending time at hospitals talking and praying with injured veterans?

If the church were to preach a sterile, 100% separated message from the country and it's problems, it would be strange to say the least.

There is nothing more inspiring than to see the colors brought to the front of the church on Memorial Day, and here the peope recite the pledge and sing God Bless America! And what is wrong with that?

How about the many churches thougthout the land who have lost sons and daughters in Viet Nam, Iraq and Afghanistan? Was it wrong for the pastor and church to pay a tribute to a fallen son or daughter?

There is no way the church can be 100% ignorant or passive to what is going on in the nation in which they exist. To do so is as impossible to do as it is to not preach on sin, or a popular mode today, not to preach n hell!

I'd like to think you are right p4j, but, I do not belief the church of Jesus Christ can or should remain silent when it comes to issues the people are going through as citizens. To do so is to miss opportunities to bring a stronger understanding of God in country, and in doing so, make for better Americans, Americans who lve the country that God has given them to live in as God fearing, respectable citizens!

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Insert one nail, and swing a hammer really hard, right at the head. Yup, that's what you did there, and you didn't miss.

On the other hand, some seem to think that if we can get all the unbelievers to stop killing their babies, and the men holding hands with each other, then all those people can be righteous enough to be worthy to hear the gospel.

And I agree 100% with the tax thing. Too many believers have their hope firmly fixed on the government to provide a financial shelter. And they trust the government to keep giving us constitutional "rights", all the while complaining that the government is ignoring the constitution.

Tell the government to keep its financial blessing to pay for some more BBQ for the president ($14,000 bill at Oklahoma Joe's here in K.C. this week). Preach the gospel unashamedly, and stop telling unbelievers what they need to do to straighten up.

6. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know ....

... this as fact [how much he spent]? And do you iknow if he used Obama cash or government cash to pay the bill? :flower:

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach the gospel from the pulpit. Discuss politics in private.

There is a proper place for freedom of speech concerning politics. The pulpit is not that place. The pulpit is for preaching the good news of Christ.

Bad choice.

No, that would be robbing God.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you ....

.... you a preacher?