1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teachers union busy scaring kids away from school

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Wingman68, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill Cunningham of WLW radio in Cincinnati said last night in his national show that out of 80,000,000 school-aged children only 60 died of the Chinese virus. Children are mostly immune to the disease.

Teachers want to be paid with federal taxpayer money for doing nothing. They are almost all for Biden.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting such a sign on school property is absolutely disgusting and shameful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The difference between the minds of the left versus right is like night and day. They are the night and dark, and we are the day light The left is on the attack, they started this cold war, but I think if given sufficient convincing and opportunity they would make it a hot one.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Public school system is disgusting and shameful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It costs the government $12k per student annually. A black lives matter solution; Pay qualified married parents with one spouse working full time $12000. Per year per student to homeschool.

For a black father in Louisiana with a median income of $30k a year, that money now gives him the extra income to pay for that expired registration or broken tail light that gets him pulled over and fined which further burdens his role as a spouse and parent.

I make about $400k per year and I feel like my money all goes to these mundane repairs and certs for everyday life in Hawaii. I can only imagine the pressure on this fictitious black guy in Louisiana. But, if educators really cared about black lives this would work miracles in the black communities. That’s $48k a year for this guy if he has 4 kids. Imagine the kind of citizens this redirected money from the outdated public schoolhouses would create both black and white! Karens Please

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in my school district. Our teacher still had to teach and do MUCH work. Calling every student - imagine that for high school teachers with 120 students - to determine if they had access to internet. And to talk to parents about their preferences for on-line learning for their students or packets sent home.

Our teachers were required to put packets together for those with no access to internet. For those with internet, phone calls were still made weekly to help those students having trouble with the on-line assignments and to explain to parents how to teach the material at home. Many made videos of themselves teaching to send out every day.

Still grading papers sent back in via mail, grading essays and more via on-line, and still having to teach their own children - some I know with up to five children of various ages.

Many, many teachers were teaching via Zoom, the phone, and more.

Our teachers did NOT "do nothing" as you say.

And the "federal monies" you say they collected? Public schools only receive about 8% - 10% of their funds from the federal government. And it goes to two areas: IDEA [special education] and Title 1 [resources for under-privileged students.

Federal funds to not go to teacher salaries.

I know what you all think of teachers - especially public school teachers. I know I'll never convince you otherwise, but please research the topic before you spout off that public school teachers got paid for doing nothing.

#7 Scarlett O., Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you don't like what she is doing - I don't either by the way.

And your only answer is to call her fat and mock her tattoos.

Would to God that someone would come up with a better solution.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teachers want the feds to pay their salaries and keep the schools closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There’s no need for public school

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's financially impossible for the federal government to pay public school teacher salaries.

The federal government, as I said, contributes 8-10 percent of the public school budget. Title 1 and IDEA [special ed].

Teacher salaries are paid by state and local taxes.

However, I am dealing with people on a thread that are somewhere between teacher dislikers and teacher haters.

So, carry on......I give up trying to point to the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association (?) are the spearheads of the movement to continue with the schools closed. Of course, there is no money to do that if teachers are to be paid emergency unemployment. The trillions that have already been borrowed will never be repaid.

The schools in my township opened today. Hoosiers used to have good schools but that was a century ago or more. I like teachers but I do not like the teachings of John Dewey. I am from a small city in rural Indiana along the Wabash River.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teacher dislikers? My daughter was a teacher before she moved up in the education world. I dislike the fact that the education she received to be where she is now.....brainwashed her, & changed her into someone we didn’t raise. For eighteen yrs. she was a joy, became valedictorian, several trips to Europe, successful horse show career, happy with life. We didn’t talk politics in the house. We allow our children to use their minds & common sense to make their decisions, reminding them that the consequences of their choices will be theirs. They were church going. We thought we were blessed, & we were. Then in a short time, we lost her to progressive education.

Do I dislike the current climate in our schools & colleges? You betcha. Not sorry for my comments either, these teachers have no business demonstrating in front of their place of employment. There was a virtual graveyard of tombstones put up, which I’m sure you didn’t see....one said Grandma died because she was helping her grandchild with homework, & got covid from the kid & died. The kid killed Grandma, because he went to school..........Respect for them? None, really. Useful idiots. I don’t want them near children, frankly. Don’t be a Karen. It’s not a good look.

15. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like your quote about the $12,000 per student, it is a half truth.

Statistically, the average depth of the Mississippi River is only 5 feet, however, if you try to walk across because you are 6 feet tall ... you will drown. That is because the average depth IS 5 feet, but some parts are less deep and some parts are MUCH deeper. So too with the average of $12,000 per student. Many students cost far less to educate because the cost of the classroom and teacher is divided among 20 or 30 students. A Third Grade teacher with 20 students (a small class size) does not earn $240,000 per year ($12,000 x 20). However a legally blind student with 10% visual acuity might require a teacher's aid to assist them, and only them ($40,000 per year for 1 student).

Here in Florida, we have 3 ways to attend "Public School" (Plus the option to Home school or private/charter school). You can attend classes at a brick and mortar school (when they reopen), you can attend classes remotely via a "skype" virtual classroom, or you can take 100% on-line e-school. My high achiever daughter has done all three and WANTS to return to brick and mortar school to see her friends. She actually did best in e-school by finishing two years work in one year and a summer.

What about children with learning disabilities that need special instruction. What about children with emotional/behavioral issues. These are the ones that cost the most to educate. Are we prepared to dump them on the street with no education because we defunded the schools that had the resources and expertise to deal with them?

What you are actually proposing is to do to Education, what we have done to Mental Heath. Save money on treatment and deal with the mess down the road. There is no need for Public School ... except for the children that really do NEED it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But do they not get unemployment and the extra Federal $600.00 payment now? Some teacher union are DEMAN
    Get rid of it and the corrupt teachers unions that go along with it. Give vouchers to people so they can pick their own schools for their kids. Go into a private, charter, or parochial school and the kids are working at above grade levels. In the NYC public schools for example the students are working 2 or 3 below grade level requirements. The Government and the teachers unions equals failing schools for the children.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is amazing how much you can improve grades when you take the Average number of dollars per student and dump all of the low performing students into another place. How many of those Legally Blind children or Children with a learning disability (like Dyslexia) that requires 1 on 1 teaching assistance does that "private, charter, or parochial school" have? Probably ZERO!

Don't get me wrong, the Public Schools need serious reform to create a more performance based rather than tenure based meritocracy. It is just APPLES to ORANGES to compare the average performance of the top 20% that get accepted to private school with the average performance of the total population in Public Schools.

Private schools are in business to make a profit. That is not a dirty word, but it is a fact. They will not accept a student that they will lose money educating. Vouchers will work for the good and average students. The students at the bottom will not be accepted anywhere because it will cost too much to educate them.

As an aside, the School District is a powerful autonomous body if it chooses to be. A school board in Michigan, that I just happen to know someone from, operates without ANY State or Federal interference. They simply told the Government to keep their money and their advice and 100% self fund the local schools. That allows the School Board to select curriculum and set guidelines without State or Federal interference. Any School Board could do the same, but few communities are willing to pay for their own schools without holding out a hand for State and Federal dollars. Even the vouchers are still local people holding out a hand for someone else to pay the bill. If you really cared enough to DO something, you could take back control of your local School Board.

I know the members of my local School Board and we are not afraid to call them if something isn't right. And when the Principal of a failing school gets shuffled to a new school to save her job (by law she should have been dismissed), then we vote to replace the Board Member that protects bad leaders (we will see what happens when the votes are counted).

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PPP

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The average private school student has less money per year spent to educate them than the average public school student.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point acknowledged, but the question remains ...

How many of those Legally Blind children or Children with a learning disability (like Dyslexia) that requires 1 on 1 teaching assistance does that "private, charter, or parochial school" have?