Team Bush to "Cut & Run"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Blammo New Member

President Bush used to "say" the term "stay the course".
    Liberals have defined "stay the course" in a way that was never meant by President Bush or his supporters.
    The mainstream media has adopted the liberal's definition of "stay the course".
    Now, it is perfectly consistant for President Bush to say to a liberal member of the mainstream media "we have never been stay the course".

Seems pretty simple to me. Is there anything more substantive to discuss?

2. JamieinNH New Member

Don't worry Daisy...

We all know how SPIN works.. We know the truth and know what Bush said, what he meant, and how he is back tracking now.

It amazes me how people stand with him no matter what. I guess if he said the Titanic won't going to sink, they would just go downstairs and have dinner trusting wholeheartly in everything he says.

I think both sides are corrupt, I have said this time and time again and with it getting closer to the election, it will only get worse. But for some people to clearly not see the SPIN and what is really going on is crazy.

3. saturneptune New Member

Amen to both sides corrupt. Double Amen. Democrats running a war? Ha Ha.
    "Stay the course" Dick Cheney advocates, he who never lifted a finger to serve his country during Vietnam, and almost as bad for Mr. Bush. Maybe they should put on combat gear, go over there, and feel the experience. It is quite different than sitting in your easy chair. People who have never experienced combat who put others in harms way, there is just something not right about it, especially from these two phoneys, and the Democrats also.

4. Magnetic Poles New Member

So carpro, you repeatedly say you want to hear from me? Sorry, but I can't always get back on your timeframe...I do work for a living.

I was paraphrasing from memory, therefore it wasn't in quotes. I think it is very clear that "been" stay the course has the same meaning. Had I put Bush's exact words, I would have used quotation marks.

So how 'bout that apology (that I know won't ever come) for repeatedly calling me a liar. It was no mistake, it was a paraphrase. The meaning is clearly the same.

The concept of paraphrase from memory is something you obviously fail to grasp, just as you cannot mentally wrap your brain around the same meaning of both statements. Either that, or you are blinded by your partisanship.

5. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No apology will be forthcoming.

Based on you post, I believe your error was intentional and therefore a lie.

6. Magnetic Poles New Member

Just as I said...I didn't expect one from you, even when proven wrong.

So you know my intent? How foolish! Also unchristlike to call me a liar, when you have no evidence to support it, omnicient one. Your ad hominem weakens any point you may have had....which apparently was only to attack me and defend W from his own statement.

7. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is also unChristlike to lie.

Are you saying your effort at paraphrasing was incorrect and changed the meaning of what Bush actually said and you did not intend to do that?

8. Magnetic Poles New Member

carpro, your words continue to prove your ignorance of the concept of paraphrase. It was NOT an exact quote. This is the last time I will try to explain the concept to someone who continues to call me a liar. You are truly hanging yourself out there.

9. Blammo New Member

If you are so worried about that, you should quit calling the President a liar.

10. Magnetic Poles New Member

I am not concerned about it. Bush, on the other hand, IS a liar, by his own words.

You and carpro have successfully hijacked the thread. It is not about me. It is about Mr. Cut & Run Bush's 180 degree turn. So get over your fascination with me and get back on topic. I appreciate the fan club, but I am not the subject of the thread.

Bush flip flops more than Kerry ever did.

11. Daisy New Member

Did he do "stay the course" or did he be "stay the course"? Or did he only say it and not do it or be it?

So, Blammo, what did Bush mean when he said "stay the course", if he didn't actually mean "stay the course", and how was that reflected in his policies in Iraq?

What is the liberal's definition and how does it differ from what Bush meant to say/do/be?

How is it consistent with his previous statements and actions and what does it even mean, "been stay the course"?

Would it have been less consistent, in your eyes, if he had said that to a conservative member of the mainstream media?

So far, you haven't discussed any substance, you've only made bald assertions with no evidence and precious little logic to back them. Answer my questions - they're pretty easy - and maybe we'll have a good discussion that could be interesting.

Don't be like carpro and simply hit and run, taunt and insult.

12. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you did intend to falsly say Bush was lying to George S?

Since you admit that is so, you hijacked your own thread by basing your initial premise on deliberate lie.

Did you not expect anyone to call you on it?

13. Blammo New Member

Daisy,

Please find below what I posted earlier. You will notice Bush is defining two seperate versions of "stay the course". Which one do you think he has not "been"? (His or theirs)

Originally Posted by Washington Post
    From transcript of Bush speech on War on Terror

BUSH: If by "Stay the course," they mean, "We will not allow the terrorists to break our will," they're right.
    If by "Stay the course," they mean, "We will not permit Al Qaida to turn Iraq into what Afghanistan was under the Taliban, a safe haven for terrorism and a launching pad for attacks on America," they're right, as well.
    If by "Stay the course," they mean that we're not learning from our experiences or adjusting our tactics to meet the challenges on the ground, then they're flat wrong.
    As our top commander in Iraq, General Casey, has said, "Our commanders on the ground are continuously adapting and adjusting, not only to what the enemy does, but also to try to outthink the enemy and get ahead of him."
    Our strategy in Iraq is clear. Our tactics are flexible and dynamic. We have changed them as conditions required and they are bringing us victory against a brutal enemy.

14. Blammo New Member

15. Daisy New Member

What does "Listen, we have never been stay the course, George" mean to you?

How can he say that now after so frequently insisting that his policy was to "stay the course"? Perhaps "never" means something different in Bushese....

16. Daisy New Member

17. Blammo New Member

That was my little way of thanking you for the link. :smilewinkgrin:

I still love it. :love2:

18. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means MP lied.

19. Magnetic Poles New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daisy
    What does "Listen, we have never been stay the course, George" mean to you?

It means MP lied.
    What does Daisy's question have to do with me? Carpro, you are so illogical and cannot even address a legitimate question without twisting it into another ad hominem. Can you not make a lucid argument? I am beginning to see your fascination with me as bordering on perverse. Get back on topic or you will be reported to a mod.

20. Daisy New Member

It's not entirely coherent what all he has said. I don't believe he has this talking point down pat yet and it's giving him problems because it so clearly contradicts what he has been saying.

For instance, "We will not allow the terrorists to break our will" - what has that got to do with Iraq? Our will to do what? They don't have WMDs, Saddam is no longer dictator, they voted - what else are we supposed to want? Sure, we don't know if the new government(s) will honor the oil contracts or allow us to establish a permanent military base from which we could intimidate Iran, Syria and the rest, but has that ever been our official course? I don't think so, so why are we staying?

As for not permiting al Qaida to turn Iraq into Talibani Afghanistan, they are closer to that now than they were before the invasion. Iraqis used to wear Western clothes and be clean-shaven, but not no more. Al Qaida didn't used to have a foothold in Iraq, but now they are there, armed and fighting. Is this staying his course or not?

Our commanders on the ground may be adapting and adjusting, but what of our commanders in civilian office, Rumsfeld and Bush? What is their strategy but "win the war and get the oil with as few soldiers as possible"? Has Bush adapted his policies towards Iraq? He still seems to be conflating all the opposition there into "terrorists" and "al Qaida".

I don't really expect you to answer these questions, but I think he should not have said that we had never been stay the course when that (simplistic slogans) has been his domestic strategy for years. I think the only reason he has disavowed that is because the war is a major sore point against the Republicans (that and the deficit).