1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Terror on the Strip! Sniper guns down concert goers ...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course all the gun control Communists are now all over TV spewing their trash.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you seem to have missed the point. Criminals don't obey the law. That is why they are criminals. Duh!

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a weird magazine. Look how wide it is.

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, when liberals stop murdering Innocent babies, I might talk to them about guns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an extra-high capacity mag from Slide Fire. It is a full double stack rather than being just an off-set stack. Probably holds 60 rounds.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His point was NOT that making it illegal isn't worthwhile; the point is that if making such things illegal hasn't stopped them, then they weren't the cause in the first place.

Why haven't we banned cars? They've been used several times in the last couple of years to plow into crowds of people.

How about fertilizer? As someone else pointed out, it was used to blow up a federal building in Oklahoma City.

Shall we pull up other examples of things that there are millions being used, but only a few were used in a horrific way?

Enforcing existing gun laws, adding more -- doesn't address the real problems. We shouldn't be asking "when are we going to ban guns"; we should be asking, "why would anyone commit such an atrocity?" If we can address the answers to that question--and note I said "answers," not "answer"--then we will see things change.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes but that's not a reason to not criminalise behaviour is it? I haven't missed the point because ...er...you didn't have one

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Well, with a few exceptions, we've made them illegal here and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of mass shootings in my lifetime. I've lost count when it comes to the US...

Same with Australia: they banned nearly all guns after the Port Arthur Massacre 20 years ago and their gun related homicide rate dropped dramatically.

#88 Matt Black, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you seem to lack the capacity to understand the rather simple point I was making. Read the post by Don just before yours to help you understand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I am sorry you resort to ad hominems.

I answered Don's point above.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you didn't. Criminalizing legal conduct without reason is just stupid.

Murder is a criminal act because it takes something unjustly from another person.

The owning of a firearm does not deprive anyone of anything. So to criminalize it would, itself, be unjust.

That is why Don mentioned banning fertilizer or cars. To ban either, when the ownership of either does not deprive another person of life, liberty, or property would be unjust.

Understand now?

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Nope. Public safety trumps private desire on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you fail to understand. First of all there is no danger to the public from law abiding firearms owners.

And second, in this country, it is not about desire. It is about an enumerated Constitutional Right.

Which brings us to a little history. In the 1750s and 60s King George III tried to tax the American colonies without allowing them representation in Parliament, which was a violation of the Bill of Rights of 1689. Fearing that the colonies would use their firearms to defend their rights under the English Bill of Rights he ordered the confiscation of the colonial's firearms.

The colonials said "no." And the rest is history.

We wrote into our Constitution the right to keep and bear arms in order to protect us from any future potential tyrants such as George III. And if anyone tries to take away that right we will see the second American revolution. We take our freedom seriously in this country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course the number of mass shootings went down; but how many mass killings have there been by other means?

I lived in England for three years; there was a report *every day* of crimes being committed with illegal guns (because, other than over/under shotguns, they're all pretty much illegal), or with knives or other weapons. As I mentioned in my previous post, vehicles are a weapon of choice these days; should we start doing background checks for driver's license?

The point you're missing is, *address the cause* and you won't need to address the tools.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

As do we here. Tell me how many tyrannical governments in Washington the exercise of the Second Amendment has overthrown? And how many mass killings have resulted from it in recent history? Go compare...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Not an either-or. Addressing the cause is medium to long term. Banning guns is also the short term solution. You have 58 more reasons to do this now. How many more reasons do you need? How many more innocents have to die? The rest of the civilised world looks at American obsession with guns and shakes its head...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And what about the rights of of the 58 dead? Don't they have the right to life? And doesn't that right trump other rights? Conservative Christians go on about the right to life - and rightly so. But until that right is extended to all - not just those in the womb - you're not really pro-life at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LowOiL

LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you actually stop and read some of the junk you sling around Matt? Honestly, why waste forum resources with such drivel.

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Junk, eh? Better than being pro-death...

His post implied that because banning something - murder - wouldn't eradicate it, it shouldn't be banned. He has since attempted to weasel his way out of that position but his attitude and that of others here towards the murderous use of firearms seems oddly ...well...liberal: "let's address the root causes of gun violence/ murder/ rape rather than criminalise it"

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they do. I am surprised you even ask such a question.

How does another person's right trump my rights?

And who has said otherwise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.