1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Textbook Misleading Many Seminary and Bible College Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 22, 2014.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus got shot at from both sides.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually what I would say is a low view of scripture that says it was influenced by mythology is pure liberalism and it is evil.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

It's a way of saying that either the Scriptures are unreliable, or that pagan doctrines are hallowed.

But I look at who, in this case, are your detractors, Rev, and one cannot be surprised.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is liberalism at its purest form.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus had a high view of scripture unlike these guys.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He would, as He was the Creator of all that Moses recorded down in gemesis, so he was there, and so would know what really happened!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That we have in history flawed accounts of creation and flood in nearly every culture in ancient times supports it happened, as ONLY the Bible is the accurate version, as God Himself gave it to us, while other stories garbled/vague memories from others!

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen those who stood for all the right things and made claims of having a high view of scripture only to turn away from the faith later. I have never seen that among those who are making disciples of Jesus. James 1:22 addresses that issue.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well in the last two years I hav e led four people to the Lord and discipled them. How about you?

10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell me we are not doing this just to prove something.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would hope it would be a proof of our obedience to the command Jesus gave. If we are not making disciples then what are we doing?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you get past four years you will learn some new things. The proof of discipleship is found in the disciples they make. Keep up the good work.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I see you are implying that these are the only four ever. Anyway I will ask again. How about you?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why express indignation at Rev's defense, and not at the diabolical accusation thrown his way?

15. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly because I did not interpret these words:
    as an accusation and certainly not a diabolical one.

Perhaps I was wrong. But gb#### did say "keep up the good work." I thought the tone was pleasant. Perhaps I was mistaken.

However, people boasting of their service to Christ is futile. B/c someone always has more to boast about (i.e. Paul in Phil. 3).

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point initially was that troublemakers abound who make all the right claims about what conservative evangelical Christians believe but those who make disciples seldom if ever create trouble. If the focus is on making disciples it tends to keep out the troublemakers because they have no proof of a faith that follows Jesus. In order to make disciples one must be focused on others and not self. One cannot make disciples of selfish people. Troublemakers are focused on self and not making disciples of Jesus. If they attempt to disguise who they are they make make an effort to show they are reaching people but it is all done in the flesh and their real faith will show and be exposed.

I think a good example is of Judas and being among the disciples. How many disciples did he make. He eventually showed his real faith as a troublemaker and one focused on self.

The point about a time of four years is that is about the time I have noticed when many learn other things beyond simple discipleship and reaching people. It typically takes about two years for one to reach others and then after a period of about four years there are more people and a larger ministry develops along with a variety of gifts among the people. For example what to do with those who have gifts that are not often identified as leadership type gifts.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would anyone "read" an article or book without reading it in full??? Isn't that what "reading" the article or book means?

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet you make assumptions. My post was not a boast it was a precursor to asking him about his service. Every post he makes he ties into the subject of discipleship. I wanted to know since he does that what he is practicing since he berates us with that. In order to do that I first offered my practice in order to be consistent. As of this point he has ignored my question.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I ignored your question simply because boasting is unimportant, and the time and numbers does not indicate effectiveness. Too many today have changed the name from Bible Study to Discipleship when it is nothing more than filling up one with intellectual knowledge and does nothing to teach pothers to do as Jesus did to reproduce them selves in the lives of others. It is not about berating anyone but about the importance of focusing on discipleship. Why waste time on working with people in a church where troublemakers can persist because discipleship is not the focus but rather programs. I have seen non-believers and troublemakers get there way until discipleship became the focus. The answer to the questions you asked is about 200 in the last 40 years. The last two years were spent in meeting with some church planters who wanted to learn how to make disciples and start a discipleship program with the church context and another was a church member whose pastor asked him to start a discipleship program in the church he attends. When I first started making disciples it was with a few college students and children. That began after I was a Christian about one month. A few years later I was asked to make disciples within the context of a church. The pastor at the time was Michael Wilkins who has written some books and articles on discipleship.

I have never once ever been given any trouble by anyone who is making disciples. The trouble has always come from those who are not.

Probably a good book on the subject today is Real-Life Discipleship: Building Churches That Make Disciples by Jim Putman. The focus in the church he pastors is leading teams who do ministry. If a staff member does not lead a team he is asked to step down.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your berating of people on the issue here on this board does nothing to add to the conversations. I would also add that going into churches that have not been discipled on discipleship you cannot turn things around over night. So the lack of discipleship going on in churches does not give commentary on the pastor necessarily. Sometimes it is just the hard heartedness of the people. By the way all of your berating is not much different than bragging.

Your high horse is short sighted.

#80 Revmitchell, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014