The 10 commandments and being saved

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chowmah, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Chowmah Member

Hey DarrellC

John 3:3
    Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:7
    Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23
    Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

In John 3 the word "born" in the greek is

gennao, ghen-nah'-o; from a variation of Greek 1085 (genos); to procreate (properly of the father, but by extension of the mother); figurative to regenerate :- bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.

While the "born" in 1Peter in the greek is

anagennao, an-ag-en-nah'-o; from Greek 303 (ana) and Greek 1080 (gennao); to beget or (by extension) bear (again) :- beget, (bear) × again.

Could this help us understand whats being said? Why the difference. Do you understand the greek?

2. Chowmah Member

Alls im saying is the "born again" found in Peter and the changing found in 1Cor.15 are 1 in the same event. Rather good DR., im not saying it but thats what the scriptures say. Alls ya need do is read below scriptures. You can come to no other conclusion

1PETER1
    [4] TO AN INHERITANCE INCORRUPTIBLE, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
    [5] Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation READY TO BE REVEALED IN THE LAST TIME.
    [9] Receiving the END OF YOUR FAITH, even the salvation of your souls.
    [10] Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
    [13] Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end FOR THE GRACE THAT IS TO BE BROUGHT UNTO YOU AT THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST;
    [23] BEING BORN AGAIN, NOT OF CORRUPTIBLE SEED, BUT OF INCORRUPTIBLE, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
    [24] For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away.

As a whole the verses above in 1Peter1 point to Christs return, at which time you are born again. Verse {23} is the key as to when we are born again. Not of corruptible seed.

1PETER1 [23] BEING BORN AGAIN, NOT OF CORRUPTIBLE SEED, BUT OF INCORRUPTIBLE, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1COR.15
    [42] So also is the resurrection of the dead. IT IS SOWN IN CORRUPTION; IT IS RAISED IN INCORRUPTION:
    [43] It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
    [44] It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

1COR.15
    [49] And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
    [50] Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; NEITHER DOTH CORRUPTION INHERIT INCORRUPTION.
    [51] Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but WE SHALL ALL BE CHANGED,
    [52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
    [53] FOR THIS CORRUPTIBLE MUST PUT ON INCORRUPTION, and this mortal must put on immortality.

3. Dr. Walter New Member

Come on, at least use some common sense. All the text listed below in regard to the future change has to do with glorification at the resurrection. All the texts listed below that concern the new birth have to do with the present condition of new birth that occurred at conversion to the gospel and continues to glorification of the body. I don't want to waste time going through each of these texts and prove that each text by context is true to what I am saying. Please use some common sense and examine the context for yourself and you will see the truth of what I am saying.

You are still guilty of pitting scriptures against scriptures as you have not been able to respond to the clear grammatical evidence that the new birth occurred as a completed action at gospel conversion (I Jn. 5:1; Eph. 1:5; etc.).

4. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Chowmah,

My understanding in the original languages leans heavily upon Strong's Concordance, rather than formal training.

However, it does help us to understand the original, and makes it possible for a layman such as I to get clarification about the original.

The topic of the new birth for one, is just such an instance.

Above you see a critical point, but I cannot agree with your conclusion.

John speaks of the working of God, whereas Peter speaks of the completed action.

To assume that being born of God is not in fact the new birth will bring one to some obvious inconsistencies concerning salvation.

Consider:

Titus 3:5 (King James Version)

5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The above verse shows the work of salvation in a bombshell.

V. 4 speaks of Messiah's arrival, and here we see those necessary changes in the nature of man that bring one to the point where one, because of the new nature, will be led of God to keep the commandments.

The regeneration spoken of here is the new birth:

Regeneration is this:

3824. paliggenesia pal-ing-ghen-es-ee'-ah from 3825 and 1078; (spiritual) rebirth (the state or the act), i.e. (figuratively) spiritual renovation; specially, Messianic restoration:--regeneration.

When one is...

1080. gennao ghen-nah'-o from a variation of 1085; to procreate (properly, of the father, but by extension of the mother); figuratively, to regenerate:--bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.

...of God, then they are...

3824. paliggenesia pal-ing-ghen-es-ee'-ah from 3825 and 1078; (spiritual) rebirth (the state or the act), i.e. (figuratively) spiritual renovation; specially, Messianic restoration:--regeneration.

Those spoken of in 1 John can easily be seen to those who have become new creations though John's descriptive account.

1 John 5
    1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

4For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

5Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Those who are born again will keep the commandments, but as with snowflakes, Christians are diverse and grow in different rates of growth.

When a Christian rebels against the new nature and the leading of the Holy Spirit, they are susceptible to chastisement and even death (1 Cor. 11).

But as to how we are saved, both before and after the new birth, is always due to Christ's imputed righteousness given to us, for we cannot add to the one sacrifice that made it possible for man to be reconciled to God.

Titus 3:5 (King James Version)

5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Notice He saved us.

That will never change.

Before salvation we were natural, and therefore had no possible part to play in the spiritual work of regeneration which is accomplished by God.

God bless.

5. Chowmah Member

The Price aint right

1st you post scripture that says till heaven and earth pass not one jot or tittle will pass from the law. Then you go on to say....what you said? You do realize that both you and me are standing upon this earth? Is that in question?

6. Chowmah Member

Hi rbell
    You believe the baptist? “Many” have come in the name of Christ and have preached that there is nothing you must do to reach the Kingdom of God but claim you believe in Christ. They claim grace is a free gift (which it is) and theres nothing you must do in order to receive this gift that gives you the right to enter the kingdom. Very smooth things preached indeed. But…What do the scriptures say?

MATTHEW 3 [1] In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, [2] And saying, REPENT YE: FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND. [3] For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

John the Baptist said You must 1st repent

MATTHEW 4 [16] The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. [17] From that time JESUS BEGAN TO PREACH, AND TO SAY, REPENT: FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND.

Jesus says you must first repent

MARK 1 [14] Now after that John was put in prison, JESUS CAME INTO GALILEE, PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD, [15] And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE the gospel.

Jesus says repent and believe. There are those who claim they believe and yet have not 1st repented. So what are we to repent of before we can believe the good news of the kingdom? Sin of course. We are 1st to repent of sin. What is sin according to the new covenant scriptures?

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

JOHN 3 [5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of WATER and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

MATTHEW 3 [11] I indeed baptize you with WATER UNTO REPENTANCE: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with THE HOLY GHOST, and with fire:

Once again, you 1st repent of your sins and then receive the Holy Spirit. So according to scripture is there something you must do to receive the free gift of grace. Yeah, we must repent of sin and keep Gods 10 commandments

ACTS 2 [36] Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. [37] Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? [38] Then Peter said unto them, REPENT, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

MATTHEW 21 [32] For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, REPENTED NOT AFTERWARD, THAT YE MIGHT BELIEVE him.

Two above scriptures speak for themselves

7. rbell Active Member

*sigh*

By grace we are saved through faith.

It is a gift of God, not of works...

*sigh*

8. Dr. Walter New Member

Gospel repentance and faith are inseparable graces. To repent is a change of mind, heart, will. It is the change of mind from unbeleif in the gospel to belief in the gospel. It is a change of heart from the love of sin to the love of God. It is a change of will from rejection of Christ to reception of Christ.

The ability/power to change is of God (Jn. 1:12-13). Repentance and faith in the gospel is our experience of the new birth. The new birth is God's power at work in us changing us and that change is our experience of repentance and faith. That is why both repentance and faith in the gospel are both gifts from God (Eph. 2:8; Acts 11:17).

There are two different Greek terms for "repentance" (2 Cor. 7:10). There is a repentance unto death that is without the power of God, that is unto death, as in the case of Judas. This is not gospel repentance or "godly sorrow" but "worldly sorrow."

The Unregenerate person/spiritual dead person is described in Ephesians 4:18. Regeneration/quickening is the reversal of those characteristics described in Epheisans 4:18.

Preaching the kingdom of God is in context preaching the gospel of the kingdom or announcing the rule of the kingdom in the person and work of Jesus Christ (Jn. 3:16; 36; Acts 28:31). It is preaching repentance toward God and faith in Christ (Acts 19:5).

9. Alive in Christ New Member

Yes, completely differently.

The "Law", be it the 10 commandments or the entirety of the law, was NEVER intended to be a way of achieving rightstanding in Gods sight.

The primary purpose of the law is to make completely clear how hopelessly and helplessly doomed we are regarding any chance of us EVER being viewed as being acceptable to God by our behavior, nobility, goodness, etc etc etc.

Thats why Christ dealt with many of the people at the sermon on the mount so harshly.

They were actually so decieved as to actually think that they were keeping those commandments acceptably.

Jesus of course spoke to them regarding looking at a woman with lust made you an adulterer. And if you have hate towards someone you are guilty of murder.

They were not allowing those laws to do what needed to be done...condemn them.

Once a person understands thier total depravity and hopelessness regarding rightiousness, they are than at a place where they can see and understand that its Gods total mercy and pure grace that they need.

They can understand that its by Gods mercy and grace that we are made right in His sight....because its that or nothing.

And at that point the gospel of Jesus Christ, when presented...is like cool cool water to a man dying of thirst.

Hope that helps.

10. freeatlast New Member

If a person dwells on a single passage of the OT at a time then they could certainly end up thinking that keeping the commandments would save them, but if they read carefully they will see that under the law people were saved by grace through faith as we are today. Being under the law does not mean that one is saved by that law. It simply means that one will be judged by that law.
    Today if we come to Christ we are not under the law for it has no more authority over us. However at the same time we are not free to disobey the moral commands of God. In fact the true believer keeps God's commands. John 14:15,21; 15:10 1John 2:3; 3:22,24; 5:2,3; Rev 14:12

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

"anagegennehmennoi < 'anagennaoh' --- Marshall, "having been regenerated".
    'ana' = 'anew', 'up';
    'gennaoh', 'born'
    < 'ginomai' "arise", "create", "become".

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

As a whole the verses you gave point to Christ and the moment the sinner received Him through regeneration or the forgiveness of sins and the gift of faith, rather than, but not excluding, that some of them also could point to "Christ's return".

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Thank you for this beautiful and inspiring statement.

It is good to see the truth proclaimed in this day of ours where Christianity has been split up into two things which seem to destroy everything of the past that was built up by men of God:

1) sentimentality / 'spirituality',
    and,
    2) wild and wayward novelties.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

And if Christ through the Spirit of Christ never told you to repent, would you ever repent or have repented?

If Christ had not knocked at the door nor called you to open would you answer or would you have answered and opened?

If you say you would or you did you show you have not nor ever did, but show yourself a liar.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Yours is a misconception. "If you love Him ..." is not conditional; it is being observed that if one does love God, he has first been loved by God.

And how has that man been loved by God? By having been shown and given by God, the mercy and grace and love of God.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

I'll tell you as a personal testimony, that if you would try ram the Sabbath down my throat with the Law like you are doing, you will be to blame that I spew it out.

HERE IS THE NEW TESTAMENT motive, motivation, grounds, basis, foundation, ESSENCE and CONTENT OF REASON for being, of "the Sabbath Day remaining valid for the People of God ... IF JESUS HAD GIVEN THEM REST ... HE HAVING ENTERED INTO HIS OWN REST AS GOD IN HIS OWN": through Jesus Christ and "IN HIM", "WHEN", by "the exceeding greatness of the power of his strength which He WORKED, God RAISED Christ from the dead".

Thus and thus only "God on the Seventh day FINISHED all his works" and thus and thus only, "God the Seventh Day from all his works, RESTED" --- thus: "God having raised Christ from the dead by the GLORY OF THE FATHER", “SABBATH’S”!

17. Chowmah Member

Matt.5
    [19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Its not your opinion (personal testimony) that im lookin for. Because the WORD tells me i should do it i will

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

So, that is YOUR, Chowman's personal opinion; his personal best with which he disappoints everyone else's expectations at knowing the love of God which the Sabbath serves and bows low, low, low before!

So, that is Chowman's will worship— the worship of the big 'i' for which the Law of God is less than the jota of 'it'; that 'law' Chowman boasts 'do', and tells him he needs look to human nature to do.

So that’s the doing of one who in the Kingdom of God is not even called the least, nor heard being called at all.

But HE, Who is called Great in the Kingdom of Heaven is ONE; whose personal testimony is Himself: The Faithfull and True Witness, THE BEGINNING of the creation of God IN THE HEART, the WORD that in the beginning was long ere the ‘i’ received its iota by the works of men of the law.

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Chowman, you may have the Law to choose for you. Don't think you choose of your own self; that's bluffing yourself.

But while you prefer the Law to choose for you, I'll let God choose for me and pray he would...

...and avoid disappointment.

20. Chowmah Member

Please send decoder ring sose i understand your posts