1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "7 church ages" doctrine...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by robycop3, Aug 29, 2022.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lately, I've heard several Baptist preachers say during sermons that we are in the "Laodicean" age. That doctrine is as false as the KJVO & preterism myths are. Wonder where those otherwise-good preachers picked up that hooey?

It was started in the US by Clarence Larkin C. 1919 & spread with modern media by the quack William Branham. But history proves it false.

There have been types of all 7 of those churches ever since they existed. (The Philadelphia church still exists in Alasehir, Turkey.) And none of the charts created that supposedly mark the church ages match history.

Anyone preaching this doctrine has acquired at least one false doctrine, & should be viewed with suspicion of being a wolf in sheep's clothes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

May I make a couple observations. I am viewing this op here and wondering what is the motivation behind it. As I muse on this problem it occurs to me that some people come on these forums for the purpose of stirring the pot.

Look at the rhetoric.
    1) "That doctrine is as false as the KJVO & preterism myths"
    2) "those otherwise-good preachers picked up that hooey"
    3) "by the quack William Branham"
    4) "being a wolf in sheep's clothes"

Now, since I have enumerated the negative and provocative statements in this op, it is only fair to enumerate the positive and reasonable points this poster has made. I will do that now.

1).....

Now, I believe these seven churches represent seven periods during the present age and I can articulate why I believe that and I can make an argument for it by comparing scripture with scripture and considering context. Why would God, in AD 94, during the beginning years of this church age, write about seven churches that will not exist at the end of the age, and in a letter where he says at the very beginning is a prophesy? There is much more going on here than just 7 churches in the province of Asia. John is seeing this vision of Christ on the Isle of Patmos on "the Lord's day." That would be on the seventh day of human history and very early in the morning on that day.This will be the first time this phrase is used in scripture, but the doctrine has been established through the prophetic books of the scriptures. In those books, along with epistles in the NT, the day of the Lord is mentioned 30 times in 29 verses in 17 different Bible books by 12 different authors. It is always a future event the prophets look ahead to until the Revelation when the KJV says the following;

Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

This is the first time it is in the present tense and it is in the 30th verse. Interestingly, the number 30 is the number that is associated with maturity. In Israel, one of the qualifications for the priesthood was that he must be 30 years old. Our Lord Jesus began his ministry at age 30. The day of the Lord doctrine has matured and is now here prophetically because John said he was in the Spirit on this day. The day of the Lord begins prophetically in the evening when it is dark as any day in Jewish thought does, but it does not stay dark. Neither will this day that John is in but the light will dawn and Jesus will come and rule for a thousand years, the length of the day in the mind of God. When this day comes to an end it will be dark again and the next day will dawn as the "Day of God." It is an eternal day. It is the eighth day, the day after the sabbath.

But, I could not discuss these things with the author of the op because, as one can see, he is insulting and rude and over bearing and it could be nothing but an exercise in frustration with nothing accomplished. The manner in which this topic is presented is trolling for an argument, I believe. It is a shame because this is a topic that needs the light turned on to it. Maybe another time we can discuss it.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am rude at times because of my contempt for false doctrines, & it grates my ears to hear a preacher, especially a Baptist one, to show belief in horse feathers such as the "7 church ages" doctrine.

Jesus sent those letters to those churches because they were representative of the fragmentation of the Church. And all 7 types of them still exist today. There never was a time when those types didn't exist once they were established.

There were NO periods when one type or the other was dominant or dormant. That junk was invented by some hyper-dispies. It's nowhere in Scripture.

Don't think Branham was a quack? Well, let's see:

He believed he was the forerunner of Jesus' return, same as John The Baptist was for His first coming.

He believed the "serpent seed' doctrine that cain was produced by Eve's having had sex with the serpent, & that Cain was the link between man & monkey.

His parents were fortunetellers & into the occult, & he likely learned occult practices & fortunetelling from them, which he called prophecy.

He believed he was commissioned to open the 7 seals of Revelation.

He denied the Holy Trinity & taught a form of modalism.

THAT'S the man who popularized the church age garbage-a real paragon of righteousness! (He also started the equally-false "Latter Rain" doctrine.)

Don't believe me? Just Google William Marrion Branham !

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    roby, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you hold the 7 church age theory only a year or two back?
    In any case, I agree that the church age theory is complete hokum.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...lol, sounds like you've roby prophet figured out...

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    17 For the time is come for judgment to begin at the house of God: and if it begin first at us, what shall be the end of them that obey not the gospel of God? 1 Pet 4

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;,,,,,,, Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written therein: for the time is at hand. Rev 1: 1, 3

I come quickly: hold fast that which thou hast, that no one take thy crown. Rev 3:11

Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe for the earth and for the sea: because the devil is gone down unto you, having great wrath, knowing that he hath but a short time. Rev 12: 12

And behold, I come quickly. Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book.,,,,,,,,,, And he saith unto me, Seal not up the words of the prophecy of this book; for the time is at hand.,,,,,,,, Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to render to each man according as his work is.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He who testifieth these things saith, Yea: I come quickly. Amen: come, Lord Jesus. Rev 22:7,10,12,20

Dispy twist: Plain time statements given in the scriptures, i.e., "this generation shall not pass away", or "the time is at hand", or "a very little while", or "must shortly come to pass", or "I come quickly", or "shall in no wise taste of death till", really means thousands of years...and still waiting.

#6 kyredneck, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've NEVER held such a theory, except in contempt.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thje FACT that the events HAVE NOT YET HAPPENS defeats any argument that they HAVE.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, did Jesus lie? Or was He just mistaken?

• Like Like x 1
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your belittling the words of Christ is quite contemptible.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....all for the sake of some cheap 'rush' you get from the sensationalism of Dispensationalism.

#11 kyredneck, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...
    I wonder who it was who came on here and argued the seven ages theory until they were blue in the face? I know it was someone who was hyper dispensational.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was @rockytopva who held to the 7 churches, not @robycop3.

Your names are too similar. Sorry.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither. You & other prets have misinterpreted His words. He described what His return would be like. So did the angels in Acts 1:11, & Himself again in Rev.1:7 & 19:11-21.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No prob.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, your misinterpretation of them in favor of some man-made trash is apostasy. Now, what's YOUR view of the 7 church ages?

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quoted PETER'S VIEW:

18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never knew where that view came from. Thank you. I've never bought into the "7 Church Ages" theory. To be honest, I don't understand how anyone who studies the Bible and History can believe in that doctrine. As I understand it, different churches throughout history have had similarities to each of the churches of Revelation. As we know, Revelation contains messages to 7 individual 1st century churches. I am guessing that those who believe the "7 Church Ages" theory believe these are collectively written to the Church as a whole. Many of my friends believe that since the word "church" does not appear after Revelation chapter 3, that must mean the Church is gone. Please understand that I am not trying to change the subject to the Rapture, but merely suggesting the "7 Church Ages" are connected to the belief in the Rapture.

#18 Lodic, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's that got to do with the 7 church ages?

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, myself, believe in the rapture. I believe it'll occur before the beast/antichrist comes to full power.

I believe it spread because some Darby-ites took him at his word without checking out the FACTS. Same here in the USA. Larkin got taken in by Darby; Branham got taken in by larkin, & had modern media at his disposal, thus spreading that trash nationwide.