The "7 Church Ages" Prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Sep 1, 2022.

1. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, let us hear what the Spirit says, not what some huckster selling a church age theory out of his wagon says.

I suggest you get the commentary on Revelation by Robert Mounce.
    The Book of Revelation by Robert H. Mounce (9780802825377) | Best Commentaries

2. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Selling the church age theory is the Laodicean thing to do! In which I have not done. Robert Mounce is a Calvinist and I have no interest in reading a perspective from the Sardisean point of view.

19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.- Revelation 1:19-20

1. Candlestick - Make your church the candestick of the last age
    2. Stars - Make yourself the angel of the last age
    3. The Sale - Convince people they are being disobedient for not holding to your point of view.

Please note the prophecy says these things pertain to the things which shall be hereafter. In which it is the thing to do to arrive at a point of being, "rich, and increased with goods, and in need of nothing." These are indeed Laodicean times!

3. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, you are openly rejecting the Bible and what Revelation says while you embrace an entirely speculative conspiracy theory created over 1800 years after the writing of Revelation.

Your "plug and play" theory just doesn't work in reality, but you have twisted your own mind to try make it for for you.

Mounce, in his commentary, is an excellent historian regarding the 7 churches. He is a Covenant Theologian when interpreting Revelation, which means that history and the New Covenant guide him in understanding what John wrote. But, you reject it out of hand and choose the theory of uneducated snake oil salesmen who have grown rich off their hokum

4. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because of my understanding of the seven church congregations I consider myself part Baptist. I also consider the Messiamic, Orthodox, Catholic, Denominational Protestant, Pentecostal, and Charismatic congregations Christian as well. The congregation I most grieve over is the Methodist and I have often thought that the Baptist do not believe in backsliding but the Methodist practice it!

5. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi rockytopva,

The 7 Ages of the Church I believe is possible and a good Catholic View of this is one that the Ven. Bartholomew Holzhauser had in the 1630’s. Hopefully soon I will be putting a Catholic Version of the End Times on a thread. When you say you go to a charismatic church, which church are you talking about?

6. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the reply. When I say Charismatic I am thinking of TV ministries. Reading into the prophecy, though, I believe it is referring to people identifying themselves as Christian, but not getting involved in a whole lot.

7. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Keeping in mind...

There was a Catholic church before there was a Protestant
    There was a Orthodox church before there was a Catholic

And... A lot of change!

8. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agree with the first line. Don’t agree with the second line. Don’t need to argue. May God bless.

9. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. Usually when I hear the word “Charismatic” I think of the Catholic Church because that is the term we use. By the way, we have a retreat center near me that is run by the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate.

10. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God bless the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate! I have nothing against other Christian denominations. Especially as the issues of my congregation are that we are in and out of revival.

11. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a service I attended last Sunday which I would consider “Charismatic.”

12. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole "7 church ages" thingie is horse feathers. Jesus dictated 7 letters to 7 churches that existed at the time, knowing there'd be types of each of them around after the originals were gone. (The only one still existing is in Alasehir, priginally Philadelphia, Turkey.) This nonsense was started by Darby in England & spread here by such charlatans as William M. Branham. While there are still types of all 7 of those old churches around today, the doctrine of church ages is false.

13. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do believe....

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
    Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
    Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
    Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
    Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
    Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
    Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Candlesticks - Seven church congregations
    Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
    Seals - The seven seals sealed each congregation within the lambs book of life
    Angels - The current preacher to the congregation.

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado? And... If you have a better interpretation please post your info! I dont mind for people to disagree with me and may end up learning a thing of two! I believe the churches came down as seven and each congregation is different in their generation!

Unfortunately we also have names such as William Branham, whom I believe was trying to make himself the leader of the church. An angel is a messenger. Any of us can be a messenger. I do not wish to elevate a preacher or denomination.

14. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I believe the advantage of the Baptist church is that they have their roots in three ages…

Sardis - Solid biblical doctrine
    Philadelphia - A few good evangelist
    Laodicea - Several large churches

15. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I gave my best defense here. I can’t blame folk for not liking names such as William Branham as I don’t care much for the guy either. I got a taste of the old Philadelphian church from the old timers who have long departed this earth. If I could go back in time I would love to sit in church once again with them.

16. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, rocky, your defense is the equivalent of a sieve trying to hold water. Not very good.
    It's clear you are going to keep believing in the hokum of the 7 church age theory that has zero biblical support.
    Just keep it to yourself so others don't have to be exposed to its foolishness.

17. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rockytopva... Held in the right hand of Christ!

These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As is anyone God has chosen to redeem.

Great verse. It has zero to do with a church age theory that was entirely made up in the 1800s.

rocky, place your faith in God's word instead of some person's theory from the 1800's.

19. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not into anyones personal theory and dislike William Branham. . It does have something to do with the church age...

These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.- Revelation 1:20

20. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really don't understand the Revelation Jesus gave to John. I cannot help you understand. Let go of your dispensationalism.