1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The African Ancestors of Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concept of "race" didn't exist in ancient history like it does today. Inter-racial marriage was practiced throughout the Bible, including the genealogy of Jesus.

It makes sense that King Solomon would become romantically involved with the Queen of Sheba, given that his mother, Bathsheba, was a black woman.

The Bible's only descriptions of Jesus' skin color are in Daniel 10:6 and Revelation 1:15.

Daniel 10:6
    ...and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.

Revelation 1:15
    And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

[​IMG]

#1 Humble Disciple, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great pics of the ladies there

Olan Mills?

NM

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Black is beautiful" comes from the Bible.

Jesus was ethnically Jewish (not Black, as evidenced in Scripture's use of Black as a skin color apart from the Hebrews) and not White (as He was Jewish). But most of the paintings of Christ today seem to be Black or White.

Ruth and Oprah were not Black (or White). I am not sure where the idea came from they were Black. Ruth was from Moab (they were decendents of Lot).

Rehab was a Canaanite. The first known Canaanites were Ghassulians (fair skin, blue eyes). But by the time of Raham the term came to apply to people living in the area regardless of race (there is no Cannanite race).

We can assume Tamar was a Cannanite, but Scripture does not indicate her race. There is no way of knowing her race.

What about Bathsheba? Was she Black? There is no evidence she was (she was a Gilonite, and could just as well be ethnically Jewish). Her husband, Uriah was a Hittite....but Bathsheba was not.

It is interesting to me how some (not the OP, but in general) identifies with skin color.

Recently I say a discussion about Cleopatra (who was not Black but Greek (of Macedonian ancestry).

I don't get the race thing. People are too superficial. I guess the response to "White washing" is "Black washing".

On the point of intermarriage, the principle applied to Israel (nationally) and today to Christianity.

Is mixed race marriages controversial today?

Why do people (regardless of race) seek to reinvent history within their own racial identity?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus had no genetic code from any sinful human. Like Adam, God made new flesh for Jesus and incarnated Jesus into Mary. It is fruitless and pointless to speculate on the skin color of Jesus. He is the I Am in human flesh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never heard this particular view. What is the scriptural foundation for it?

So you are essentially saying He was NOT the son of Mary, He just used her womb as an incubator?

If this is true, how is Jesus from the line of David?

You are also saying that Jesus (humanity 2.0) is adopted into humanity 1.0, not OF humanity 1.0.

If Jesus did not share our humanity in every respect, how can Hebrews 2:17-18 boldly state that He can help us in times of temptation? How can we hold anyone accountable to the standards of Christ if God could not even inhabit our flesh and make it holy?

I did a little searching on this view and discovered it has a Mennonite foundation. Here is a critique of it.

#5 Baptist Believer, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He would have looked like the average Jewish male of his time!

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an interesting belief. I might start a thread, if you don’t mind?

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the link. Interesting. I’m going to start another thread so we don’t derail this one. Hope to see you there.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  10. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that Jesus is the 2nd Adam. The 1st Adam was formed by God, perfect in every way. The 2nd Adam was formed by God, perfect in every way. God was incarnated in Mary's womb by the Holy Spirit. By human standards Jesus comes from the line of David to fulfill scripture, but Jesus was perfect in every way, thus he could not have the corrupted nature of either Joseph or Mary.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ironically being like "burnished bronze heated in a furnace", if referencing skin tone, would be White (the metal turns to a bright white).

But it is an error, IMHO, to think this a description of race or skin color rather than highlighting that brilliance (the glory) in imagery.

Anyway, I just found it interesting that you equate "burnished bronze (or brass)" with the color black when it is literally the opposite (a bright white) and most likely referencing the glory of Christ.

If a skin tone, perhaps "bronze"....(e.g. a Semitic appearance....Jewish)....would fit better.....or White (if keeping the furnace part). But I doubt the passage is speaking of anything so superficial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What color is LOVE?... Brother Glen:)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard that he had male pattern baldness so he covered it up with all this nonsense about skin color. Of course that don’t mean he was a skin head! :Smile

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh Glen, ya beat me to it! Good work brother.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Steve, you don't look to happy about it (its the avatar)... I could say that LOVE is the color of the rainbow but even now that has been corrupted... The color of LOVE IS GOD!... God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ and God The Holy Spirit... What color is light?... I hear Heaven is very colorful, so I guess God is too!... Brother Glen:Biggrin

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love is tie dye....like the Grateful Dead.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Glen, looks can deceive and I’ve got lots to be thankful for. I got a feeling I’m going to make heaven a lot sooner then I expected... and that’s OK by me. I’m a believer and God is my Father and Jesus is my Lord and Savior. There is peace in all of that:Thumbsup

18. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the one drop rule that was enforced during the Jim Crow era, anyone with even a drop of African ancestry was denied access to public accomodations. This would have included Jesus if He were around in the segregationist south, including in churches that claimed to worship Him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of my Italian family have dark skin, I do not. So are you suggesting that they have Black African blood there in the blood line?

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.