1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Biblical Definition of JUSTIFICATION

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jan 26, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The Biblical Definition of JUSTIFICATION”

If you ask the nominal professing Christian to give you a Biblical definition of justification, many of them don’t even know what justification is; much less understand the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY of believing this Biblical truth. The Apostle Paul said: “Brethren, my hearts desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.” (Romans 10:1) These people that Paul declared to be lost, knew the absolute necessity of justification before God, but their ignorance of HOW God justified the ungodly based on the righteousness imputed of Christ alone revealed the fact they were lost – “For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.” (Romans 10:2-3) The Scriptures conclude that to be ignorant(void of knowledge) of HOW God can be a “just God and a Saviour”, is to be lost. Anytime a sinner is ignorant of God’s Righteousness, i.e., that righteousness established solely by Christ’s work of redemption at Calvary, for the justification of His elect, they will always be going about to establish their own righteousness by their obedience, morality, and as in our generation, by their faith.

In the Scripture, the term justification means to declare or pronounce righteous or holy before God. (Strong’s Concordance) We see this in Acts of the Apostles 13:38-39, where the Apostle Paul declared the Gospel to the Jews – “Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man(Christ, the Lord) is preached(declared) unto you the forgiveness of sins.” In other words, Paul told them that the only way of salvation was through the WORK OF CHRIST ALONE. Notice Acts 13:39 – “And by Him(by His power) all that believe(literally, are persuaded) are(not will be, but are already) justified(declared legally righteous according to God’s Law and Justice) from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.” From the last part of this verse we see that justification cannot be obtained by personal obedience to the law. Therefore the only hope or cause of justification(being declared legally righteous and holy before God) cannot be personal obedience, sincerity of religion(the Jews had a zeal for God), or even faith. The ONLY hope, or cause of JUSTIFICATION is Christ’s finished work of redemption at Calvary – “Being(having already been) justified(declared legally righteous) freely(as a gift) by His grace(unmerited favor) THROUGH THE REDEMPTION THAT IS IN CHRIST JESUS.” (Romans 3:24) The cause of justification is the work of redemption performed solely by Christ alone through His substitutionary death at Calvary. This work of redemption JUSTIFIED all the elect, ONCE FOR ALL, at Calvary. To God be all the praise, glory and honor for His glorious grace.

- Richard Warmack, pastor of Grace Baptist Church of Ruston, Louisiana

#1 KenH, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another destructive heresy post.

Does Acts of the Apostles 13:38-39 say we are declared righteous? Nope but there it is, listed as if it did.

What do these verses actually say? That forgiveness of sins through Christ is being announced and that the ones believing are being justified.

How about Romans 3:24?

It says we are justified through our redemption in Christ, thus we are placed into Christ spiritually, then justified by the washing of regeneration.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, @KenH, for that mostky excellent summary of the doctrine of Justification.
    My only cavil is that it is those who believe that are justified and therefore no one can be justified before they believe

• Like Like x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not consider one's stance on the timing of justification to be salvific - from eternity(which is my stance), at the cross, at Christ's resurrection, at the point of God-given faith. However, I will oppose anyone who advocates anything as the ground of justification other than Christ's finished work on behalf of His sheep.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you. John Gill, who was of your persuasion, did wonderful work in the early 18th Century to fight Unitarianism. However, My difficulty with Justification from Eternity is that there is no point in preaching. If the elect are already justified, then they will be saved whether they pare preached to or not, and others will not be saved whether they are preached to or not.
    Here I agree with you. However, no one will be saved unless they are trusting in that finished work to save them. Read on from the verses that were quoted and you will see that Paul warns his audience that they will not be saved unless thay believe (Acts of the Apostles 13:38-41)..

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some say God does not justify those that believe. They say God creates belief in those He has justified. Nonsense.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect. Election happened before the world began, calling happens in time. God's elect will hear the gospel(Romans 10:13-17). Reprobates will not be saved, whether they hear, with their physical ears, or not, as they are not given faith and repentance from dead works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. (Romans 10:13-17)

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

8 But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him.
    10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life; Ro 5

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans has a chapter 6 too. Romans 6:17. "But God be thanked that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you." Apparently we had a bunch of justified "servants of sin" running around.

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key is the word 'now.'

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you notice the justification occurs before being saved?

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him.

I doubt it. You still believe our faith is the only thing that justifies us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And even though they all fell in Adam into sin and death, and because of their sin, they deserve and have earned nothing but God’s wrath, God has always viewed and accepted them in Christ as their Representative, Surety, Substitute, Redeemer, and Mediator. They are the subjects of an eternal and everlasting covenant of grace made between God the Father and God the Son before the foundation of the world. God chose them by His sovereign grace, gave them to Christ and from the beginning placed all responsibility for their salvation and eternal well-being upon Christ. They are (and have always been) “the vessels of mercy, which HE had afore prepared unto glory” (Romans 9:23). They are recipients of a salvation that was given to them “in Christ Jesus before the world began” (2 Timothy 1:9). They are the “election of grace” (Romans 11:5), and grace has always reigned “through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:21).

Some object to this view because they argue that if this is true, God’s elect do not need to be saved, and it was not, therefore, necessary for Christ to come and die for their sins. They also conclude that if God’s elect were all justified in His sight from eternity that it is, therefore, not necessary for them to be born again and brought to faith in Christ. ...

Eternal justification does not mean that God’s elect “have always been saved” in the sense of never having been lost in their sins. ... God’s elect are not, in essence, born saved. They are born lost in their sins. And even though God has marked them out for salvation and has always viewed them in Christ, they are naturally born spiritually dead in trespasses and sins as enemies of and alienated from God. So, not only do God’s elect need to be justified before God, they also need to be redeemed by the blood of Christ, sanctified by the Holy Spirit, and glorified together with Christ. God’s people need to be saved because they are all sinners who deserve eternal damnation and who are born lost in their sins. It is true that in eternity God has been reconciled to them by the cross of Christ, but the redemption price must be paid for them by Christ, and they also must be reconciled to God by God-given faith in Christ."

- excerpt from Bill Parker's When_Are_Gods_People_Justified_in_His_Sight_new.pdf (b5z.net)

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

The 'key' here is "when we were yet without strength...while we were yet sinners...when we were enemies". i.e., before/apart from our faith.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, I have never, ever believed that our faith is the only thing that saves us, and I have certainly not written anything to that effect on this thread. Don't you dare pretend that I believe that.
    Secondly, Romans 5:9 does not help you. '.....Having been now justified by His blood, we shall be saved [at the judgment at the end of time] from wrath through Him.'

That this is the correct interpretation is shown by Romans 3:26. God is the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. And Romans 5:1 tells us that, '....Having been justified by faith, we have peace with God.'

We are justified by the grace of God (Romans 3:24); we are justified by the blood of Christ, and we are justified by faith in the finished work of the Saviour. Grace alone, Christ alone, faith alone, according to the Scriptures alone, to the glory of God alone.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of us is wrong, but I think you'll find it's you. :)
    Romans 5:6 speaks of the death of Christ, not our justification. Also, it cannot and does not contradict Romans 5:1.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL! Anglo, of all the BB members on this board you're the last that this KY hillbilly should be explaining plain English to. Every time you espouse 'justification by faith alone'(which incidentally is unbiblical, James 2:24) you're telling me that our faith is all that's required. Or is it that you're unable to admit that the Reformers erred, and went too far with their countering of RCC doctrine of works?

Paul was countering a very same system of works with 'the religion of the Jews' and not once did he ever espouse 'justification by faith alone'. But you Reformed types never tire of adding to the gospel that single word 'alone'.

Anglo, you do know what the English word 'alone' means, right?

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that Romans 5:1 reads 'justified by faith'. It does not read 'justified by faith alone'.

Stop adding to the gospel Martin.

19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh dear, oh dear! Do you really not know what the Five Solas mean? And do you really not understand how Paul's writing harmonizes with that of James?
    I have challenged you in the past to start a thread on Justification by Faith Alone, and you haven't done so. Well, after this weekend I shall have a little spare time so perhaps I shall start one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't tell you what to believe, but James 2:24 has always expressed, "works" before men, to be, "justified" before men and nothing to do with, "JUSTIFICATION", to have salvation.

" Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

As in:
    " Ye see then how that by works a man is justified,( in front of other men, etc.), and (they are ) not (justified, in front of other men) by faith only.

• Like Like x 1